2022/2023 NHL/Wild Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• JoeMX1825
    MN

Yeah it all makes sense, but I just dont know how it works from the very beginning because the LTIR has to accrue right? The Wild couldnt just sign a Shea Weber and then go find someone else at the beginning of the season could they? Well, they dont have cap space for it anyway so why bother LOL

No, you have to be cap complaint BEFORE the start of regular season game 1, so Weber’s $7.85 aav would need to be on the books and under the cap game 1. Sadly, it’s how Arizona is getting to the salary cap floor…Shaw will be at the league minimum so it shouldn’t be an issue to have his minimal caphit rostered game 1 then put on IR…

Ripjiggen

And it might take KK and Wallstedt to get to 5. rotflol

Yes, Boldy scored 30 goals (and that’s not easy to do) but he also needed an absolutely insane month long scoring tear to do it (something he’s never done at the National Devleopment Program or BC)… and he was the ONLY offensive option for that month while Kirill was out injured, so he was getting EVERY 1st option opportunity to score, not typical if Kirill is in the lineup…

You mean he shined when given a bigger role and more spotlight for teams to focus in on. Cough cough Rossi.
    How many were on the PP again?
    Yurov 10 goals in 71 games doesn’t exactly scream going on a scoring heater.
    Ohgren had 11 in 36. So not exactly lighting the lamp at historic rates.

We need Faber now but not Boldy?
    Got me stumped on that one.

Just one more page and we can start a new thread.LOL

JoeMX1825
    MN

You mean he shined when given a bigger role and more spotlight for teams to focus in on. Cough cough Rossi.
    How many were on the PP again?
    Yurov 10 goals in 71 games doesn’t exactly scream going on a scoring heater.
    Ohgren had 11 in 36. So not exactly lighting the lamp at historic rates.

We need Faber now but not Boldy?
    Got me stumped on that one.

Come on…You should know the reasons why Yurov and Ohgren’s stats are what they are, they are underage boys playing in men’s leagues, Ohgren was an 18 year old WJC 1st line player for Team Sweden, Yurov would be the same if Russia was allowed in the WJC, so at their age level they dominate, just like Boldy did (except he didn’t make the WJC team when he was 18)…Faber is important because he can play top 4 (or we think he can) on an ELC, that’s why he’s so valued by the Wild right now..never said we don’t need Boldy, I said he would likely be a requirement in any major trade because he is valued…I then said I think he’s likely easier to replace with who we have in our system…

cough cough Rossi? was Boldy burried on the 4th line? are you saying he should have done more with the 25 seconds of PP2 time he typically got?

CaptainMusky

I dont think either of those guys got significant minutes either did they? I thought I read that in one of Smith or Russo’s recent articles.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I dont think either of those guys got significant minutes either did they? I thought I read that in one of Smith or Russo’s recent articles.

Yurov’s KHL icetime was a joke, something like 5 minutes averaged…Ohgren was something like 14+

Yurov also had the dreaded last year of his contract = no icetime punishment most young players get in the KHL (this is why I was surprized he signed for another year)

Ohgren signed 1 year year deal with one of the better SEL (Swedish Elite League) teams (he played last year on one of the relegated teams) so this season will be telling on what his develpment looks like. He was a prized signing so that tells you how he was valuled by all of the SEL teams…He’ll likely be the Captain & top dog for Sweden at the WJC…

JoeMX1825
    MN

in other news, it sounds like Elais Lindholm doesn’t want to re-sign with Calgary, so another 1C might be available…He carries a miniscule $4.8 caphit this season for a 1C, so the money could be doable this year (bye Foligno) and then the expected capjump the following year should help cover whatever extension he signs…so here’s another rare 1C option that’s probably doable…

oh and he’s super durable, a right shot and was 56% in faceoffs last season…

Ripjiggen

Dominate to the tune of 2 points in 7 games? Which put him at roughly 90th in the tournament.

But 30 in the show at 21 is ho hum?

This is fun but kind of pointless as there is zero chance they are moving into top 5. jester

Ripjiggen

Rumors Hubbedreau may be traded as well.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Rumors Hubbedreau may be traded as well.

hate hate hate that contract at his age and he plays wing…. a position where we are absolutely positively loaded at )

Ripjiggen

Oh definitely didn’t post because I want him in a wild sweater.
    Calgary is in for a long rebuild.
    Sounds like there is some smoke to the Sutter getting physical with a player/s
    Come on page 241.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Sounds like there is some smoke to the Sutter getting physical with a player/s

please elaborate…

lol, nvm, for a second I thought you were talking about new Ryan Suter info came to light…lol

I totally can see Daryle Sutter fighting guys…dude is so old school..

JoeMX1825
    MN

Cool Rossi story in the Athletic today…he’s back in MN now and has been in the Tria gym all week workign with the strength trainer and living in the same apartment building as Boldy and other guys…Dude sounds like he’s on a mission to prove the doubters wrong…Just hope he gets an opportunity to succeed…

Ripjiggen

Ha yes 2 T’s not one in this case.
    Signing guys to long term lucrative deals and then wanting out of it after a year seems like a very western Canada thing to do.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Ha yes 2 T’s not one in this case.
    Signing guys to long term lucrative deals and then wanting out of it after a year seems like a very western Canada thing to do.

Looks like Johnny Hockey knew something….

Ripjiggen

Cool Rossi story in the Athletic today…he’s back in MN now and has been in the Tria gym all week workign with the strength trainer and living in the same apartment building as Boldy and other guys…Dude sounds like he’s on a mission to prove the doubters wrong…

Defiantly don’t think work ethic is going to be a reason he is or has been held back. He definitely checks all the boxes in that category.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    Cool Rossi story in the Athletic today…he’s back in MN now and has been in the Tria gym all week workign with the strength trainer and living in the same apartment building as Boldy and other guys…Dude sounds like he’s on a mission to prove the doubters wrong…

Defiantly don’t think work ethic is going to be a reason he is or has been held back. He definitely checks all the boxes in that category.

yeah, he fully acknowledged he needs to add some “F YOU” to his game (He said his dad even told him that) and that he understands why he was sent back to Iowa last year and what he needs to do to stay in the NHL…

the question remains, where on the roster does he play?

Ripjiggen

That will work itself out if he shows he is ready.

JoeMX1825
    MN

That will work itself out if he shows he is ready.

so does that mean he could earn the 1C slot IF he has a good training camp? (like he did last year leading the league in preseason scoring?) Ek and Gaudreau are pretty much locks on their respective lines…

Ripjiggen

No idea. Freddie can easily play wing. More to being ready for the show than a good preseason obviously. Whatever line he was on last year he was one of the worst forwards in the leagu during that time statistically.
    Trust me I don’t think 4th line is where he will shine but he was also really bad wherever he played.

JoeMX1825
    MN

No idea. Freddie can easily play wing. More to being ready for the show than a good preseason obviously. Whatever line he was on last year he was one of the worst forwards in the leagu during that time statistically.
    Trust me I don’t think 4th line is where he will shine but he was also really bad wherever he played.

So he played with Boldy and Foligno majority of the time when he was given decent icetime in the 19 games last season…those guys continues to play terribly 5-5 for months AFTER Rossi was sent down, so it wasn’t Rossi causing those guys to suck 5-5…

Ripjiggen

Nope probably not but didn’t exactly elevate their game nor his own. Which is what you would want from a 1C. Or at least signs of it as a young player.

JoeMX1825
    MN

So it appears getting near the Top5 is tough to do and more importantly costly…

So the next level draft slots that have been rumored to be availabel fo rthe right price are Vancouver at #11 and Pitsburgh at #14, who could the Wild target in that zone? Trade price would obviously be much less than trying to get near top5…Not sure if you guys have seen any highlights of Zack Benson, that kid is unreal and has a motor that doesn’t stop, if he was 2-3 inches taller he’d be considered in the top 5….

Pick #11 Targets= Nate Danielson- 6’2″ Center from the OHL, Olvier Moore- Speedy center from USNDP, Zach Benson- small frame Center/Wing but the kid is majic with the puck

Pick #14 Targets= Gabe Perreault, Scoring Wing from USDP, Matthew Wood, 6’3″ power forward Wing at UConn, Brayden Yeager- Small frame center who can pass & score, Danil But, 6’5″ Center from KHL, Sam Honzek-6’4″ Center/Wing from the WHL

If the Wild choose or forced to pick at #21 because they can’t do a trade, I expect them to make a selection like Center Otto Stenberg from Sweden as a safe pick, not a flashy pick, likely 3C with a 2C ceiling…meh…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Nope probably not but didn’t exactly elevate their game nor his own. Which is what you would want from a 1C. Or at least signs of it as a young player.

agreed, but he really wasn’t given much of a chance to fail, make mistakes and learn from them either…Deano had the short leash as the team started the season terribly…most of the time Rossi was on the ice he looked like he was scared to make a mistake for fear of getting demoted or pressboxed…meanwhile Foligno and Hartman were skating turnover machines (and Kirill to an extent)

tswoboda

agreed, but he really wasn’t given much of a chance to fail,

And yet against all odds he still did

most of the time Rossi was on the ice he looked like he was scared to make a mistake for fear of getting demoted or pressboxed

Maturity issues maybe ??

Ripjiggen

Comparing him to NHL vets with NHL credentials that really can’t be sent down or have other options is kind of pointless IMO.

CaptainMusky

Well how much more demoted can you get than playing 4th line? I guess the pressbox, but he really wasnt given much chance, but yes, he looked terrible when he was out there.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Comparing him to NHL vets with NHL credentials that really can’t be sent down or have other options is kind of pointless IMO.

Just saying he wasn’t the only player who made mistakes or looked like complete crap the first 20 games of the season…it was Kirill and only Kirill that kept us afloat…

tswoboda

Matvei Michkov is the story of the draft for me. Kaprizov+ upside and there’s talk he’ll fall out of the top 5 because he won’t play in the NHL until he’s 21… GMs are so selfish

CaptainMusky

Matvei Michkov is the story of the draft for me. Kaprizov+ upside and there’s talk he’ll fall out of the top 5 because he won’t play in the NHL until he’s 21… GMs are so selfish

I agree, this will be an interesting one to watch. He is wrapped up through 26 and the whole Russia war thing has me intrigued to see how they view him. Thats a long time to wait.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Good lord how many posts until this damn thread dings 241?!?

Anyways, there’s been alot of talk that he wants to go to Washington to play with Ovi (his idol) and we know Washington knows how to get KHL players out of their contracts…

Viewing 30 posts - 7,171 through 7,200 (of 7,320 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.