Garage Floor Sealer

• Eyeowa27

I don’t post often but am on the site regularly for advice, tips and entertainment. I’m currently building a new house and am wondering, what is the best option for sealing the garage floor? Not sure if this has any impact on choice for sealant or not but it’s at the end of an 800 foot gravel driveway. From following, I know Bearcat89 is a concrete guy and wealth of knowledge and Buckybadger has somewhat recently completed a new home build in the country (not sure how to tag individuals). Advice from those guys or any others would be appreciated.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

What are you thinking, some kind of epoxy shield type coating?

I think the best time to do this is when there’s nothing in the garage because obviously you don’t have to move anything. I had my garage floor professionally sealed with a polyurea material before I moved in 2 years ago. It had a 20 year warranty and I’ve been very happy with it.

Eyeowa27

I was not planning to do epoxy, I would like the look and feel of regular concrete but sealed, to protect against salt, oil, etc. This project will be completed prior to moving in.

Eyeowa27

Thank you, Bearcat. Much appreciated

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Sorry Eyeowa,

The only stuff I have really dealt with is the finishing epoxy stuff with the flake and everything.

Bearcat knows concrete and I’m sure what he’s suggesting is worthwhile.

Paul Hanlon
    Roseville, Minnesota

Please consider a vapor barrier under the slab

Brian Bezanson

Talk to your flat work contractor about your options as to slab curling and how he feels about pouring directly on top of a vapor barrier.
    If he doesn’t know about slab curling, well good luck.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Adding insulation under the concrete floor and along the footings makes a huge difference.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.