Truth about Skeeter Center Chippewa Falls

• Yolkhead

Bought a used boat about 1.5 years ago from a private party. Has 2009 40 Yamaha on it. Ran good once or twice then would only run at low speed. Local mechanic changed water pump and checked thermostat. Ran good a couple of times then same problem. Took it to Skeeter Center in Chippewa Falls ($175 hour shop fees). They went through it and found nothing. Ran fine for them. Took it home and same issue. Changed gas tank, new line, etc. local mechanic heard it run when it was a issue. He is not sure of problem. May be high pressure fuel pump. Decided to just trade it in and be honest. So much for honesty. Skeeter boat center just said they want nothing to do with the problem motor and would not take as a trade in. They went through the motor and said it was fine. Me like a fool told them it had issues thinking I was do the right thing in this world. I am 67 and retired and just wanted to do the right thing. Explained this issue to Warner Dock in New Richmond, Wisconsin and next week they are going to take it out and either fix it and I pay for that or trade it. So much for honesty and Skeeter boat center.

big_g
    Isle, MN

If you have been being honest for 67 years, I wouldn’t stop now ! doah Sounds like they feel like you do, they don’t want the intermittent engine issue either, I wouldn’t fault them for that ! crazy Good luck on the other route ! waytogo

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’d maybe see some of your argument if you bought the boat from them and the issue showed itself right away.

In this instance you took a boat (bought somewhere else) to them, and they either couldn’t find the issue or couldn’t get it to replicate itself in their shop. That’s not necessarily their fault. Did you expect them to tinker with it for 2-3 weeks at $175 an hour labor rate during the busiest time of the year?

Why would they be obligated to buy your boat (or take it on trade)? That’s their choice.

CaptainMusky

I’d maybe see some of your argument if you bought the boat from them and the issue showed itself right away.
    Why would they be obligated to buy your boat (or take it on trade)? That’s their choice.

All of this. I wouldnt want a problem child either and the fact it wasnt bought there just cements it for me.

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

I had the complete opposite experience with them. Recently bought a used boat from them and had an axle issue immediately after purchase. In my opinion, they did everything in their power to get me a new axle as fast as possible.

I will not hesitate to buy from them again or recommend them.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

I guess I missed the part of the story where they were not honest? Lets say we hold them at their word and believe that they did not find (or know) what was wrong with the motor. You then go to them to trade the boat in. They know you have had issues and couldn’t figure it out so the honest answer is that they cannot take your boat because of the risk of the cost of a unknown repair.

is it frustrating to pay for someone to say I can’t identify a problem… yes

I do hope you’re able to fix the problem.

Do I think any business is bulletproof? no….. I’m sure these folks have pissed someone off. I just don’t see it in your example.

Yolkhead

Well thanks for the input. Like my wife is always telling me I ask too much from people. I guess I expected the boat center to help a little bit not just dismiss me. They did mention if I bought it from they it would be different. I guess a business has no obligation to work with you. Will just move on.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

So you are 0-2 finding somebody that can fix it. Maybe you end up 1-3 or 0-3, time will tell.

Ripjiggen

Do they even resell used motors? Maybe they just didn’t want to bother with trying to sell a 15 year old 40hp motor.

deertracker

I just want to personally thank the Skeeter Boat Center for not buying and then reselling a motor with known problems. You run a great business. waytogo
    DT

dirtywater

I just want to personally thank the Skeeter Boat Center for not buying and then reselling a motor with known problems. You run a great business. waytogo
    DT

That was my exact thought.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

I’ve re powered a boat through the boat center, and my son bought a used boat through them last spring and they went above beyond. They are in my opinion top notch.

Yolkhead

You miss the point. They found nothing wrong with the motor. If I kept my mouth shut I assume I could have traded a perfect running motor at that time into them in their eyes. I told the truth to them and they walked away. Guess I expected too much.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Good for you telling them, good for them for not wanting it.

Sell it, trade it, move on.

deertracker

You miss the point. They found nothing wrong with the motor. If I kept my mouth shut I assume I could have traded a perfect running motor at that time into them in their eyes. I told the truth to them and they walked away. Guess I expected too much.

I do understand what you are saying and sorry they could not figure out your motor. But I also respect them for not buying a motor that had know issues. Even if they couldn’t figure it out.
    DT

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.