2022/2023 NHL/Wild Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• JoeMX1825
    MN

I think it foolish to think the devils wouldn’t take Wright or wouldn’t want him because they are stacked at center, so they just get rid of the pick.
    I would be shocked if they gave up the 2 pick for Fiala.

The general thinking is why would the Devils take a center when they spent 2 x #1 overall picks (Hischier & Hughes) on Centers and another mid-1st rounder on another one (Mercer) all within the past 4 years? Where is another 18 year old center going to play in that organization? Their best bet is to trade that pick for an established star wing moving into his prime (like a DeBrincat or Fiala) who can play with those stud centers right now…

Or trade a little ways down and get added value for the #2 pick to a center desperate team (there are plenty) and then pick one of the stud defenseman. (The Devils already have Dougie Hamilton signed for 7 years, Luke Hughes will play top 4 next year and is a future top pairing, they have a few more high draft pick defenseman prospects only a year or 2 away) and there are no goalie prospects worth a high pick this draft, so you start to see it makes more sense to trade the #2 draft pick for help now vs the future..

Bottom line the Devils need to start winning now, their fanbase has spent the last 3-4 years waiting for their current core of players to become NHL ready, they dont want to wait anymore…that will put alot of pressure on GM Fitzgerald to make a deal or maybe see his job gone if they miss the playoffs again next season… He’s real good buddies with GMBG so at least you know they’ll talk about a potential trade…

Doug M
    SE SD

Real interesting development going on right now.

Since 2009, Bob McKenzie has correctly picked the first overall pick every single year.

Didn’t know he had that kind of knowledge.

Attachments:
    1. hoser.jpg

hop307
    Northern Todd County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>brandmoney wrote:</div>
    Real interesting development going on right now.

Since 2009, Bob McKenzie has correctly picked the first overall pick every single year.

Didn’t know he had that kind of knowledge.

LOL, Strange Brew toast , that’s who I always think of.

CaptainMusky

Friedman tweeted that Fiala trade talks have really started heating up. Didnt mention any teams specifically, but I am sure there is a bidding war going on. Let’s Go BG!

JoeMX1825
    MN

Friedman tweeted that Fiala trade talks have really started heating up. Didnt mention any teams specifically, but I am sure there is a bidding war going on. Let’s Go BG!

Let’s hope Hischier is really pushing to play with his fellow countryman! I really don’t see a way the Wild could lose in a trade with the Devils, the return is going to be good no matter who/what it is (#2 pick, Holtz, Mercer, etc, etc)….

personally i’m hoping it’s for Holtz and maybe a 2nd round pick next year…There’s always risk with draft picks and Holtz has a proven track record of domination at every level he’s played in…The Right-Shot sniper would be a perfect fit for the Wild…

tswoboda

Friedge said on the radio it’s just speculation but he thinks interested teams are Ottawa, NJD, Kings, and maybe Buffalo.

CaptainMusky

Friedge said on the radio it’s just speculation but he thinks interested teams are Ottawa, NJD, Kings, and maybe Buffalo.

He’s really the only guy more plugged in than Russo. I just wish he would grow his hair and beard out again. He looked like Brent Burns with teeth.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’d rank those teams trade values as #1 Devils, #2 Buffalo, #3 Ottawa and #4 Kings.

Devils and Buffalo have the best prospects and draft picks, would Fiala sign long term in Buffalo though? I think he would for New Jersey….We’ve talked extensivelty about New Jersey and who they have to offer, Buffalo is very similar but their prospects are 1-2 years BEHIND the Devils, so not ready yet, but Jack Quinn (Rossi’s wing in junior) is a right handed sniper and would look great in a Wild jersey. My guess is that Fiala (and his smokeshow model wife) would prefer the Kings…I just don’t like the Kings prospects as much anymore (Byfeld wouldn’t be available) Vilardi is enticing but he’s due a bridge deal likely in the $3 million range, Turcotte is now damaged goods with concussion issues, Brandt Clarke would be inticing, Pinelli would need to be included with a better prospect…

I’d speculate that the Red Wings could be a dark horse for Fiala…They have a ton of young talent and outside of Larkin, they don’t have any experianced scorers…

CaptainMusky

You’re forgetting about Kaliyev. I dont think he is untouchable to the Kings. Would need a pick or another prospect however.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    I think it foolish to think the devils wouldn’t take Wright or wouldn’t want him because they are stacked at center, so they just get rid of the pick.
    I would be shocked if they gave up the 2 pick for Fiala.

The general thinking is why would the Devils take a center when they spent 2 x #1 overall picks (Hischier & Hughes) on Centers and another mid-1st rounder on another one (Mercer) all within the past 4 years? Where is another 18 year old center going to play in that organization? Their best bet is to trade that pick for an established star wing moving into his prime (like a DeBrincat or Fiala) who can play with those stud centers right now…

Or trade a little ways down and get added value for the #2 pick to a center desperate team (there are plenty) and then pick one of the stud defenseman. (The Devils already have Dougie Hamilton signed for 7 years, Luke Hughes will play top 4 next year and is a future top pairing, they have a few more high draft pick defenseman prospects only a year or 2 away) and there are no goalie prospects worth a high pick this draft, so you start to see it makes more sense to trade the #2 draft pick for help now vs the future..

Bottom line the Devils need to start winning now, their fanbase has spent the last 3-4 years waiting for their current core of players to become NHL ready, they dont want to wait anymore…that will put alot of pressure on GM Fitzgerald to make a deal or maybe see his job gone if they miss the playoffs again next season… He’s real good buddies with GMBG so at least you know they’ll talk about a potential trade…

Yup I get all that. I also get that prospects don’t always turn out how you imagined and there are plenty of centers playing wing in the NHL. You only get so many shots to draft in the top five and I would take advantage as long as I can.

JoeMX1825
    MN

You’re forgetting about Kaliyev. I dont think he is untouchable to the Kings. Would need a pick or another prospect however.

I’m just not a fan…He’s a terrible skater…I don’t think he’ll be able to keep up in a few years (he’s been known to have conditioning issues)…he’s also a left handed shot (although it is a cannon) and his game is all about being in front of the net on the PP (we have Ek there for at least 7 more years)…

JoeMX1825
    MN

I also get that prospects don’t always turn out how you imagined

Kind of another reason to sign a proven NHL goal scorer who’s been putting up numbers playing with JV caliber centers…put Fiala with a Hischier or Hughes and watch out! It’s been mentioned many times, why would the Devils GM care about a player who might/might not be in the NHL for 2-3 years, when he’s pressured to win right now with the young core who’s already paid their dues losing and learning the game?

NHL GM’s are always looking alot more short term vs long term, the Chuck Fletcher Parise & Suter deals is a great example that has been brought up before by members here in terms of Fletcher knew he likely had no chance of still being the Wild’s GM by the time the Parise & Suter deals would turn into the huge headache they are now, but for Feltcher’s short term, they made perfect sense and likely kept him the Wild GM many more years than he should have been……

Ripjiggen

Sure they can trade for a proven wing doesn’t mean you are giving up the second overall pick for one. Just sayin.

CaptainMusky

Sure they can trade for a proven wing doesn’t mean you are giving up the second overall pick. Just sayin.

Id be very surprised if the Devils gave up #2. Its not often a team gets to pick that high, though, I guess they have been lucky/unlucky to do so recently. A pick that high generally turns into an NHL player. I would think they would rather give up on someone they currently have as a prospect vs the #2 pick.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    Sure they can trade for a proven wing doesn’t mean you are giving up the second overall pick. Just sayin.

Id be very surprised if the Devils gave up #2. Its not often a team gets to pick that high, though, I guess they have been lucky/unlucky to do so recently. A pick that high generally turns into an NHL player. I would think they would rather give up on someone they currently have as a prospect vs the #2 pick.

I can see in a draft that has no brainer stars in the top 2-3 picks, sure you don’t give that up (like next years draft)… but this years draft has no consensus star prospects, the top 5-6 players are all about the same level (projected top 6 NHL players) so the #2 pick doesn’t have the same weight it typically does…

Ripjiggen

Wouldn’t that then go the other way then. Why would the wild want the 2 pick if there is no star potential. There is certainly star potential with the 2 pick in this years draft. Maybe not a McDavid or Crosby but still star potential.
    There are also other stud FA and RFA wings this year.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Fiala to the Kings for their 2022 First and Brock Faber….

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Well that didn’t take long.

Ripjiggen

Yeah didn’t think that 2 from NJD was available and I didn’t think they would get a haul for Fiala either. Knowing they were forced to move him.
    Glad I kept my expectations in check as I am sure twitter is losing its mind right now.
    Should be pretty stocked up on D prospects for a while.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

One page a day boys, keep grinding. Take it one post at a time, and I think we can hit 365 pages this year.

Ripjiggen

This trade should get a few bonus pages.

CaptainMusky

Fiala to the Kings for their 2022 First and Brock Faber….

As a Gopher fan, I like Faber a lot. I was hoping for a better return than this, but the LA is undoubtedly a desired landing spot for Fiala. Holy smokes $7.9M? Woof.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Wouldn’t that then go the other way then. Why would the wild want the 2 pick if there is no star potential. There is certainly star potential with the 2 pick in this years draft. Maybe not a McDavid or Crosby but still star potential.
    There are also other stud FA and RFA wings this year.

because we cant afford an established player, otherwise we’d keep Kevin…ELC players or draft picks are all we can take back…

JoeMX1825
    MN

I need to watch twitter more…

Ripjiggen

At least we don’t need to debate the trade to NJ anymore Mel…😂

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Any chance they package Dumba with one or both of the firsts for an up and coming NHL center making similar money?

Ripjiggen

Any chance they package Dumba with one or both of the firsts for an up and coming NHL center making similar to Dumba’s money?

You got anybody in mind that would fit that description. Not many teams trade up and coming centers.
    Then you would also need a top 4 Dman this year at least.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Fiala held alot of the cards, he’s signing a 7 year extension just south of $8aav, much too rich for the Wild’s blood…

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 7,320 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.