Evinrude Starter Stays Running

• fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I’ve got a 2017 Evinrude ETEC 90 H.O. Sometimes the starter will stay running after the motor gets started. It doesnt appear that it’s engaging the motor itself, just staying running. Oftentimes I don’t know about it till I shut the motor off and then hear the starter still running. Sometimes if rhe motor doesn’t start, then the starter will stay running. The only remedy I have figured out to get it to stop is to disconnect the battery. Even then, sometimes when I put the wire back on the terminal, the starter runs again. I just have to take it off a couple times.

Seems like a short, but how to diagnose? Or any other ideas? I would say it happens once every 15-20 times I start the motor. I burned out one starter last summer and thought that was the problem, but the new starter still does the same thing.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Seems like a short, but how to diagnose?

Diagnose with a multimeter.
    Sounds like; either the switch itself is not disengaging internally when you release the key or the solenoid is not disengaging.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I’m betting on the solenoid on the starter.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

So is the solenoid separate from the starter? I’m on my second starter doing the same thing.

Deuces

I’m betting on the solenoid on the starter.

Had this happen on an old Johnson 2stroke, believe I could tell by a voltmeter. New one fixed it

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Do you own EVDiag software? If you don’t I would purchase it. It’s only $50-60(Ebay of Amazon). It’s very beneficial for servicing and diagnosing issues like this.

I do not believe this would show up in the software, but there might be a code displayed in the 55v communication system. I do not recall, it’s been a bit since I had my 90 HO.

James Almquist

Diagnose with a multimeter.
    Sounds like; either the switch itself is not disengaging internally when you release the key or the solenoid is not disengaging.

When you turn the key you will put 12 volts on the small input wire on the solenoid which allows 12 volts from the battery to pass thru to the starter. If you have 12 volts on the small wire input after you have started the motor it is the switch. If you do not have 12 volts present on the small input wire it is then going to be the solenoid that’s causing the problem.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I’ve ordered a solenoid and will replace that this week once it arrives. Thanks, fellas.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.