3 for 3 broken rods, 2B

• acarroline

Broke our 3rd rod made by 2B reeling in a 16 inch northern. After past fiascos with their “customer service” and “warranty” plan I’m not even bothering to send this in or make them aware. Hope others had and have better luck but we will not buy anymore of thwir products.

grizzly
    nebraska

must have been a fat 16 incher

PmB

Same results here but with Elliot’s.

Lou W

High sticking?

acarroline

Do a quick search…pretty common with their products. Not high sticking, one broke while casting a 3/8 ounce slip sinker and floating jig head. To each their own, give them a shot if you want.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve never had any issues with my TUCR open water rods. Lots of time bringing in largemouth, smallies, northern, and walleye. The one thing with these custom rods with fast, sensitive tips, is you can’t boat flip even average size fish, or you risk snapping them.

Not saying you did this, but it’s something I’ve noticed with a lot of these types of rods when they do break.

acarroline

Agreed, Mahtofire. I’m not a boat flipper and none of the three 2B rods that broke even happened in a boat.

MX1825

Sounds like I dodged a bullet this spring.
    I had 4 rods in the 2b cart and got busy with something and never pulled the trigger on the order.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Not saying you are doing anything wrong by any means, but both of my 2B rods have been great and both are over a year old. I consider them a great rod for the price compared to others that are in the $300 range. Im debating on pulling the trigger on an Elliot rod too

acarroline

I really wanted to like them. As mentioned, this was my experience for what it’s worth. Fenwick and St. Croix have my business for their product, warranty, history, and service.

Ripjiggen

Never snapped a rod on a fish. ???

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Not saying you are doing anything wrong by any means, but both of my 2B rods have been great and both are over a year old. I consider them a great rod for the price compared to others that are in the $300 range. Im debating on pulling the trigger on an Elliot rod too

I did last year and have added 2 more this year, was always a st croix fan, but they feel so good in your hands

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

I see they are running a Memorial Day sale. Didn’t check prices but got an email.

MX1825

Love ugly stiks waytogo
    [/quote]

Do they burn well? whistling

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Ugly Stiks are an asbestos weave,they don’t burn and have great sensitivity but come with other issues.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

What do you except for a Made in China fishing rod?

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Acarroline, was all 3 rods the same model, did they all break in the same spot, and the same way? Did they break on the hook set, fighting the fish, or lifting the fish into the boat?

I am not sure who makes the blanks for B2 fishing. I have built many rods on their Elliott blanks without any issue. I am hoping the blanks I used were not the ones being claimed to have a known issue.

acarroline

Acarroline, was all 3 rods the same model, did they all break in the same spot, and the same way? Did they break on the hook set, fighting the fish, or lifting the fish into the boat?

I am not sure who makes the blanks for B2 fishing. I have built many rods on their Elliott blanks without any issue. I am hoping the blanks I used were not the ones being claimed to have a known issue.

All three were 2B Genesis. Two of them were 6’6 Med light Fast, on was 7’0 Med Lt fast.

First one broke reeling in a 12 inch white bass. Break happened where the two pieces connect. Second time used.

Second one was a broken tip while jigging/casting2nd time it was used, second cast of the morning.

Last one broke while reeling in the 16 inch pike, break occurred about 1/2 inch below the first eyelet, 5th time used.

I haven’t heard of near the issues with the Elliot line. With my experiences with their product and service I won’t be personally finding out. Good Luck.

Anyfish2

RODWORK, The one 2b rod that broke for me was 3 time out with the rod, broke on a hookset, between 3rd and 4th eye(maybe 2nd and 3rd?). On 7-1 medium light genesis.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I am not sure what is happening. Would be interesting to figure it out. Gregg and Paul know their stuff.

acarroline

I am not sure what is happening. Would be interesting to figure it out. Gregg and Paul know their stuff.

Not sure either. With their rods breaking often and being a known issue you’d think the customer service would be stronger. Not questioning anyone’s knowledge, but also hard to say this is an isolated incident. A quick search here and on google backs this up. Couple notables below from a different board (not my comments, btw)

“Customer service is not up to expectations…here is why.
    I purchased two rods…and the lst time I got to use one of them it was May 22nd. It broke while fishing on Red Lake in 3 pcs in 3 pieces on a simple hook set. I called the tackle shop where I got them from and was told they could not handle the warranty. Had to go back to the MFG which is 40 minutes from my house. I sent a note on the 23rd explaining the problem, shattered in 3 pcs with photos and asked if I could drop it off instead of mailing it. Got a email, on the 24th that said CS service would make arrangements to have someone meet me. I sent another email on the 24 th asking the best day and time we could meet. Never received a response. Since May 24th have sent 2 emails and the most recent e-mail 6-1 with phone number explaining that I planned to be in Bemidji 6-2. No response. Worthy to note this is lst custom rod that I have broke while fishing and I have had many.”

“Tuesday morning I spoke to the bait-tackle shop I purchased four of these rods from. The Mgr admitted, hearing about these rods breaking, a price anglers may have to pay for a light, sensitive rod.”

“Elliot rods are made by the Thorne Brothers. 2B is the name of their company. They sold Thorne brothers 25 years ago or so. They are very knowlegable in fishing rod making. Their reel seats are not top notch. There may be a bad blank every now and then, like described in earier post. This is where customer service would be nice, The don’t seem to answer phones or emails. I had a broken rod, brand new and tip broke of when iwas putting line on first time. Got service reps number from dealer and he replaced my rod within a couple days. “

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I hope they can get this fixed and figured out before it sinks the company. Lots of great ideas have come from the two brothers.

Ike Sell

2B or not 2B…. sorry, could not resist… I have one in my arsenal. 1st one broke up at the tip when I tangled some line around it and I was simply trying to get it untangled. Snapped like it was a match stick. After trading emails back and forth telling me I was most likely to blame, I took the rod directly to the factory (large garage) up in Walker and dropped it off. A week later a new one showed up in a large tube. Love the rods performance. The second stick is holding up nicely. I’ve had many brands, most fail eventually. I’m not perfect, more than half were my fault. It’s what the manufacturer does to make it right that counts, especially in the 1st year when the break if obviously a quality issue. The 2B blanks are sourced from China I believe. Set your expectations accordingly.

Aaron Mcgills

Well looks like Acme Tackle acquired them for what that’s worth. Wonder how that will shape their warranty and if service gets any better?

PmB

Elliot rods also advertise their guides having a adamantium coating. Same thing as wolverine’s claws

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.