2022/2023 NHL/Wild Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• CaptainMusky

What’s funny is that because Arizona is taking on a small portion of the salary, it eats up 1 of their 3 retained salary slots for the next 8 years!

I saw that the other day and that is hilarious. I doubt AZ will be fielding any calls from Vancouver any time soon LOL

JoeMX1825
    MN

interesting comment by Judd Brackett on Russo/Smith Podcast released today regarding Marco Rossi’s development since being drafted. He said Marco just needs the right opportunity and then take advantage of it… to me, that sounds an awful lot like Marco needs a chance to play with top 6 skilled players and then it’s upto Marco to succeed, but he can’t do that without being given the chance…

JoeMX1825
    MN

seeing lots of Wild chatter online about possibly packaging thier 1st round picks the next 1-2 years to move way up in this draft…

This could turn into a nightmare if the Wild gets some key injuries (Kaprizov) and the big caphits cause them to basically throw away the season and we end up giving up a top 5 pick…Yes this years draft is a generational one, but the next 2-3 draft years have some elite talent at the top as well…

Ripjiggen

Like way up in the top 5? I don’t see that happening.
    Maybe in the teens.

CaptainMusky

Yeah, I dont see that happening either. Top 10 is really a pipedream. They cant afford to send prospects or picks away because they will need some of those guys the next few years and the draft picks need to get to Iowa to develop.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Like way up in the top 5? I don’t see that happening.
    Maybe in the teens.

There would likely need to be other pieces involved in addition to the 1st rounders…I would only do it IF it gets me pick #5 or higher….that would get you either Center Will Smith or Wing Matvie Mitchkov…

The level of players in the top5 this draft are #1 overall picks any other draft year…there’s definate risk if the Wild crap out the next 2 seasons and they are lottery picks, but it gets you a legit 1C or a generational scoring Winger who would be here when Kaprizov is making his stay or go decision…

at some point we’re going to need to make a risky move, otherwise we’ll be complaining about not having a 1C 4 years from now..

There’s always a price to get GM’s to trade their pick no matter who it is (other than this years #1) it’s just a matter if you’re ok paying it… at some point you need to start moving a prospect or two, three…they ALL can’t play for the Wild with guys signed long term and NMC’s in contracts… I think Montreal COULD move pick #5 if the price is right…I think they want to take a defenseman and #5 is too high to take one with the other players still available…

Could a Wild package of Carson Lambos + Pick #21 & Pick #64 in this draft and a future 1st round pick get it done? That’s basically 3 x 1st round picks & 2nd for 1 trade…

Ripjiggen

Maybe Montreal would move don’t see the other teams giving up the future number 1 pick.
    I don’t disagree that they have to start moving some pieces prospects to start building.
    I just think the cost to get into top five from 21 is going to cost a boat load and frankly outside of Montreal maybe the other teams I would think would want that pick.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Chicago is the only team I don’t see ANY chance of trading away their pick…

Anahiem – They already have Mason McTavish who looks like he could be a #1 Center very soon, so could they trade out and then back in for a top Wing vs taking surething center Fantilli? Could Boldy be part of a package to solidify their wing position?

Columbus – They want to win games now, not 3-4 years from now, could a Wild package including Boldy get it done? We have wingers Yurov and Ohgren coming through the system soon…

Sharks – They need to completely reload their prospect pool, could future 1st rounders and a top prospect entice them?

I don’t see the Coyotes trading the next few years, they have like 15 1st & 2nd round draft picks the next 3 years..

Ripjiggen

If we are trading away Boldy and future first rounders to move into top 5 well those picks the next two years will certainly be in the top ten we just traded away. Columbus already has their top wingers.

No way they are trading Boldy. I think these rumors are getting into your head a bit.

JoeMX1825
    MN

its all fun reckless speculation…but you have to give up value to get value…

for sure there’s risk, but it’s also risky to trade for a player going against doctors suggestions to get a neck surgery never done on a professional hockey player before…

Ripjiggen

Boldy is literally the wilds only wing signed long term.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2356.gif

JoeMX1825
    MN

Who’s to say he’s a surething though? you take away the last month of the season how does his year look? Yurov looks like a Boldy clone, Ohgren looks promising as well… its easier to find a top 6 Wing vs a 1C as we all know…don’t you trade from a position of strength to improve a position of weakness?

outside of Kirill and Wallstedt, nobody should be off the trade table…they are all replaceable if it means you have a legit chance to solve a 20+ year franchise hole…

or do you still drink the GMBG coolaid that you don’t need a 1C to be successful in the league…that wingers can drive the play just as well…The GM’s who say that, are the GM’s that don’t have one…

CaptainMusky

Joe with all due respect trading Boldy is not “fun reckless speculation” that is insanity.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Joe with all due respect trading Boldy is not “fun reckless speculation” that is insanity.

Why? Yeah he got hot for a month and then disappeared in the playoffs again…what would we be saying about him had he finished the last month of the season the same way he played the first 5 months? Would his likely 20 goals (with more than half being PP goals) be worthy of the 7 x $7 deal? I’m only proposing it to get a legit 1C prospect…you know the player we’ve never had… you have to give up alot to get alot or do we want to keep kicking the can down the road? Think Kirill is excited to skate with Hartman or Steel again this season?

We always overvalue our home team guys (i’m guilty of it to)

JoeMX1825
    MN

In other news, there’s a great story in the Athletic about how the Florida Panthers tried to draft Alex Ovechkin a year early because they argued his leap year birthday actually made him eligible (he missed that draft’s age cutoff date by 2 days). The league threatened to take away their draft pick each round they submitted his name… too funny!

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

Who’s to say he’s a surething though? you take away the last month of the season how does his year look? Yurov looks like a Boldy clone, Ohgren looks promising as well… its easier to find a top 6 Wing vs a 1C as we all know…don’t you trade from a position of strength to improve a position of weakness?

outside of Kirill and Wallstedt, nobody should be off the trade table…they are all replaceable if it means you have a legit chance to solve a 20+ year franchise hole…

or do you still drink the GMBG coolaid that you don’t need a 1C to be successful in the league…that wingers can drive the play just as well…The GM’s who say that, are the GM’s that don’t have one…

I would hardly call the wilds position of strength wing when they only have two signed past next season with NHL time. I put less stock into players that are not even playing in North America that are only 18 than a guy that potted 31 in his sophomore season. His first full season at that.
    And yes if you net 31 you are a 7 million dollar player. Which only 8 of them were on the PP.
    Don’t disagree they are going to have to mortgage something to get a 1C.
    Don’t care Boldy is home grown.
    No I don’t agree with what BG said. You need 1C to win in the playoffs.

I get you are just throwing out scenarios.
    Moving into the top 5 is almost impossible considering it has happened 1 time in 2008 in last 20 years after the draft order has been set. That was pick 5 to pick 7.
    Can’t even imagine what it would take to move into top 5 from 21 in this draft. GM’s are way to scared of the what could have been to trade out of the top 5 in the NHL.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I meant strength organizationally, Boldy needed one of the best scoring months in the entire league to get his 31, yes he got it, but what if he had another typical scoring month like he had the rest of the season? He might not have hit 20 goals…

and everything has a price, its just a matter of are you willing to pay it… Pick #5 is attainable imo, they just picked #1 last year and need Defense over Offense in their prospect pool and would be overpaying at #5…

Its rare for GM’s to honestly think 3-4 years down the road when they MOST likely aren’t secure in their job more than 2 years out and would rather trade for an established player who can help them win NHL games immediately…They’ll say all the right things publicly, but its a win now sports world…. I do think GMBG was given a longer than normal runway to get through the buyout pain, but he’ll need to produce playoff wins in 3 years or his seat will get hot…

Ripjiggen

Organizationally they have Yurov and and Ohgren that they literally drafted last year. I wouldn’t call that a strength just yet.
    Again only 2 on the roster past next season.
    What if Boldy isn’t the “guy” not sure what Yurov and Ohgren have done more so than Boldy to think they are the “guy”

So Montreal wants defense because they drafted offense last year? Ok
    Why would they want a barely 20 goal scoring wing and move to 21 to draft what the 5-6th best D prospect.

History has shown that GM’s just don’t move top 5 picks. So they are crazy enough this year to do it in a “generational” draft?
    And move out of the top 20 in a generational draft?
    Yeah not happening like you said GM’s are not risking that for their job sake.

Like they say you are either on to something or on something.

CaptainMusky

I dont think Montreal is moving anywhere. It may be fun to speculate, but like you said Rip, how often does someone jump into the top 5 let alone from sitting outside the top 20? That is pretty unprecedented and with how this draft stacks up a GM would be committing career suicide by doing so.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Org Depth:

Wings – Kaprizov, Boldy, Zuccarello, Johannsson, Foligno, Yurov, Ohgren, Beckman, Walker
    Centers – Ek, Hartman, Gaudreau, Rossi, Khusnidhinov, Bankier
    Defense – Spurgeon, Brodin, Faber, Middleton, Lambos, Addison, Spacek, Peart, Masters, Hunt

We have more numbers with Defensman, but they aren’t anywhere near the skill level overall that our wings are…I dont take last year of contracts into play, we likely have the upperhand in re-signing them if we wanted so its moot imo…

Wings are our strength…

I think we’ll see some trade fireworks in this draft, maybe not the Wild, but teams will trade…6 days to go…

JoeMX1825
    MN

I dont think Montreal is moving anywhere. It may be fun to speculate, but like you said Rip, how often does someone jump into the top 5 let alone from sitting outside the top 20? That is pretty unprecedented and with how this draft stacks up a GM would be committing career suicide by doing so.

Maybe the Wild at #21 is too far (and deemed too expensive), but I think there will be big trades…

CaptainMusky

I think there will be trades too, but I bet there will be few if any in the top 5 or maybe even to 10. Late first round could get interesting and Judd eluded to it. If they see a guy around 15 to 17 they could move up or they could trade back too. They dont have any 3rd or 4th round picks and those rarely pan out, but you can always find a gem.
    I am most interested in where Michkov goes. Consensus has him at #2, but with his contract going through 26 and the Russia fiasco how risky is he to sign? I mean, is he going to have to serve in the military if this war continues?

Ripjiggen

Boldy
    KK not even close to a sure thing to resign.
    Zuccy 35 years old. You are not planning a future top six at 35.
    Mojo 32 Talk about being good for a month
    Foligno not a top 6 so not sure why he is even listed.
    Beckman was playing 4th line for Iowa for part of the season. Not sure he can be considered close to a top six.
    Walker most likely not a top six forward either.

So back to Ohgren Yurov and who knows at this point. It’s not like these guys were top 5-10 picks.

More depth at wing than center? Pretty sure 95percent of teams in NHL are that way.

For as much as you downplay Boldy you sure are banking on guys with zero NHL cred to be 30+ goal scores at the NHL level.
    It’s fun to debate but kind of a waste of time as there is zero chance of it happening.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Boldy
    KK not even close to a sure thing to resign.
    Zuccy 35 years old. You are not planning a future top six at 35.
    Mojo 32 Talk about being good for a month
    Foligno not a top 6 so not sure why he is even listed.
    Beckman was playing 4th line for Iowa for part of the season. Not sure he can be considered close to a top six.
    Walker most likely not a top six forward either.

So back to Ohgren Yurov and who knows at this point. It’s not like these guys were top 5-10 picks.

For as much as you downplay Boldy you sure are banking on guys with zero NHL cred to be 30+ goal scores at the NHL level.
    It’s fun to debate but kind of a waste of time as there is zero chance of it happening.

ok, now do the other positions…and you pick apart the other players and yet only focus on Boldy’s 30 goals as if he has no warts…how about his other 5 months of last season? or playoffs the last 2 years?

Every team will have substantial drop in talent in areas they don’t focus a majority of their cap on, Leafs are loaded at Wing and Center, but then what?

The other thing that’s blatently obvious in the Wild depth chart is how impactful the dead caphits are… they basically absord 2-3 top 6 players depending on how that money would have been allocated… sucks…

CaptainMusky

Yeah the dead cap is what it is. The Wild are fielding a roster with a hand tied behind their back. They will likely have Shaw on LTIR but that will not provide much relief either. That whole LTIR thing has me perplexed but it seems TB and Vegas have it figured out.

Ripjiggen

Never said Boldy didn’t have warts but you act like 30 goals scorers are a dime a dozen. It was his first full season at the ripe age of 21.
    4th highest point producer from his draft class.
    Not to mention the Wild signed him to a long term contract and not a bridge deal. Oh and signed him before his month of scoring. So pretty sure they are aware of his warts too.
    I am picking apart the wings that you said are a strength at this point.

Why would Faber not be part of your mythical trade scenario if that is where our depth is and what Montreal needs are.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Yeah the dead cap is what it is. The Wild are fielding a roster with a hand tied behind their back. They will likely have Shaw on LTIR but that will not provide much relief either. That whole LTIR thing has me perplexed but it seems TB and Vegas have it figured out.

The simple way I think about LTIR is that when used during the regular season it allows you to basically replace an injured player with another player at a similar salary.
    Where it has been weaponized is in the playoffs when the original injured player comes back to play and you now how BOTH of those players in the lineup… (say Patrick Kane gets hurt half way through the regular season, you can go aquire Jack Eichel to replace him in the lineup with Kane’s caphit) but the day after the regular season ends, Kane is plugged back into the lineup and you now have BOTH $10 million players playing in the lineup…

I know this is obvious to many in this thread, but just wanted to lay out the scenario for others to help understand it…

CaptainMusky

Yeah it all makes sense, but I just dont know how it works from the very beginning because the LTIR has to accrue right? The Wild couldnt just sign a Shea Weber and then go find someone else at the beginning of the season could they? Well, they dont have cap space for it anyway so why bother LOL

Ripjiggen

No they could not. Well technically kind of. Doesn’t really make much sense to do that knowing you will not get Shea Webber to play so kind of defeats the purpose of having him count against your cap in the way you are thinking.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Never said Boldy didn’t have warts but you act like 30 goals scorers are a dime a dozen. It was his first full season at the ripe age of 21.
    Not to mention the Wild signed him to a long term contract and not a bridge deal. Oh and signed him before his month of scoring. So pretty sure they are aware of his warts too.
    I am picking apart the wings that you said are a strength at this point.

Why would Faber not be part of your mythical trade scenario if that is where our depth is and what Montreal needs are.

Yes, Boldy scored 30 goals (and that’s not easy to do) but he also needed an absolutely insane month long scoring tear to do it (something he’s never done at the National Devleopment Program or BC)… and he was the ONLY offensive option for that month while Kirill was out injured, so he was getting EVERY 1st option opportunity to score, not typical if Kirill is in the lineup…

Faber certainly could be a part of a trade (although the Wild value him more because he appears to be NHL ready and we need him right now) I was thinking Lambo’s offensive upside would give him the value edge over Faber, he’s also a little bigger I beleive…

again, I think only Kirill and Wallstedt are untouchable in trades… I’m not saying Boldy isn’t super valueable, quite the opposite as i’m saying he would likely need to be included in any major trade for player or draft pick because he has the value needed to do a trade like that…My other argument is that I don’t see how anybody can call Boldy an absolute lock being a future star player…He had a below average season (for somebody who gets the icetime and PP1 opportunities he gets) for 5 months before catching fire the last month of the season with Kirill out…now a counter point to that is with Kirill out, Boldy was the other team’s top priority to stop and they couldn’t do it…I sure hope he replicates it to start next season…

Viewing 30 posts - 7,141 through 7,170 (of 7,320 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.