2022/2023 NHL/Wild Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• tswoboda

Yeah just confirming that Joe is starting it tomorrow so I can get one last snide remark in before this thread goes away chased

JoeMX1825
    MN

Dang..Avs give up on Alex Newhook pretty early…former #16 overall pick traded to Montreal for the #31 and #37 overall picks this draft…

This looks like an example of a team cutting the cord early enough to get a good return back vs holding on too long HOPING the player develops into who they thought they would when they drafted them and they don’t and end up getting nothing back in return…. sound familiar?

for the record i’m still a Rossi fan…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Yeah just confirming that Joe is starting it tomorrow so I can get one last snide remark in before this thread goes away chased

lol, of course you will, I expect a full spreadsheet of deep internet stats destroying one of my many theories…

tswoboda

My first thought on the Newhook deal was Colorado views him as Tyson Jost and they A-don’t want to get a Jost level return for him 2 years from now and B-don’t want to pay him $2m-$3m+ next season and C-maybe it helps them keep Compher. Ok I guess that was 3 thoughts.

CaptainMusky

I think the Compher thing is likely the issue. Surprised a little bit by the Hayes trade. Thats a lot of salary to retain IMO.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m surprised because he would have been under decent cost control the next 2-3 years and good insurance when Johansen likely gets hurt… JT Compher is looking to get PAID long term and they still need to sign Byram & Rodrigues who won’t be cheap…

and of course they are planning on playing the LTIR game when Landeskog makes his miracle recovery game 1 of the playoffs ;)

tswoboda

and of course they are planning on playing the LTIR game when Landeskog makes his miracle recovery game 1 of the playoffs

Just like last season right – you sure got this league figured out

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    and of course they are planning on playing the LTIR game when Landeskog makes his miracle recovery game 1 of the playoffs

Just like last season right – you sure got this league figured out

lol,triggered much?!?

tswoboda

Hey you know you were asking for it so I figured I better deliver!

JoeMX1825
    MN

Hey you know you were asking for it so I figured I better deliver!

I queued it up nicely for ya….as if it was done on purpose…

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m waiting for the Erik Karlsson trade to happen, Sharks are likely forced to eat $5.75 million for 4 years!!!!

tswoboda

Yes Joe I know what baiting is and that was me going along with the bit

JoeMX1825
    MN

Yes Joe I know what baiting is and that was me going along with the bit

Faceoff Win % is the most important stat in Hockey!

tswoboda

Whoa whoa whoa what about height/weight of the team defensemen? Get your story straight buddy

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Norm Green still sucks.

Ripjiggen

I get they need a veteran influence for their young players, but Chicago signing Nick Foligno for 1 year at $4 million is a sign of the end of days…

They go plenty of money to burn.
    Hell we gave goose 1 year at 5 million.

JoeMX1825
    MN

what’s surprising is teams that are in clear rebuild mode wouldn’t just keep their players until the trade deadline and get a ton more for them…Like Philly and Hayes…

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    I get they need a veteran influence for their young players, but Chicago signing Nick Foligno for 1 year at $4 million is a sign of the end of days…

They go plenty of money to burn.
    Hell we gave goose 1 year at 5 million.

Goose’s deal was a handshake 3 year 9 Million deal to take advantage of the lower 1st year Parise/Suter buyout pain….it was just officially filed as 1x$5, then the 2 x $2 extension…Chicago is just getting to the cap floor, I just love how sneaky they are(nt)

Ripjiggen

Whoa wait you mean we were doing cap shenanigans. No not the wild.

My point was it’s 1 year at 4 million when they had like 30 mill to burn.
    More than likely gets flipped at the deadline again.

JoeMX1825
    MN

PLD signs a 8 x $8.5 deal and then traded to Kings for Iafallo, Vilardi, Kupari and a 2024 2nd round pick, not a bad haul if Vilardi is past his injury issues…

CaptainMusky

That seems like a huge over pay for PLD to me, but what do I know?

JoeMX1825
    MN

That seems like a huge over pay for PLD to me, but what do I know?

on one hand, PLD wanted out, so at least the Jets got assets back, on the other hand, the assets they got back are somewhat young unknowns and Vilardi who’s had tons of injuries in his young career, so there’s risk there…

Rare example of a 1C getting traded away at such a young age, but he has his warts…Kings still have several grade A prospects in their system too….

Ripjiggen

Wasn’t Scheifle the jets 1C when healthy. Won’t Kopitar still be 1C for at least a year or two.

tswoboda

That seems like a huge over pay for PLD to me

Completely agree. I could see that trade value if he were signed to a cheaper deal with term or giving him that contract if he were a UFA. But the combo of trade price and contract are a hard pass from me.

Wasn’t Scheifle the jets 1C when healthy. Won’t Kopitar still be 1C for at least a year or two.

The 1C goalposts are in perpetual motion. Don’t forget Hayes and Johansen 1C trades… it’s the 1C musical chairs this offseason. I’m not sure if we need criteria for what makes a 1C or just an official 1C list with notice sent out every time a player gets promoted or demoted from #the1Clist

Ripjiggen

I was just making the point all these center trades seem more like teams adding 2C/3C versus true number 1C. Center depth is huge but just stating at least in LA and AVs case they have there alpha 1C already.
    In the wilds case I think
    Kopitar PLD or
    Mac Johansson
    Looks much stronger than
    PLD/Johansson and Ek.
    No not a rip on Ek by any means.

Hayes shouldn’t even be part of the conversation IMO.

tswoboda

I was just making the point all these center trades seem more like teams adding 2C/3C versus true number 1C. Center depth is huge but just stating at least in LA and AVs case they have there alpha 1C already.

I was agreeing with you. I have no idea what exactly a 1C is or a true 1C or a legit 1C or maybe even a franchise 1C

JoeMX1825
    MN

All the names mentioned are aging players, none of them would be available if they were anywhere around their prime…. Kopitar is in the final year of his mega deal (his 17th season! Hard to believe) and has mentioned he’ll sign a much cheaper 2 year extension to finish his career and be part of the window the kings are moving into… PLD didn’t want to stay with the Jets and basically called the shots by not signing a bridge deal and only listing teams he would sign longterm with, same thing Fiala did…. Schiefle wants to get paid after being underpaid for years, Hellybuick wants out too, looks like the Jets are setting up for a rebuild and cashing in their better players while they still provide value vs resigning them…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Good lord former Wild draft pick forever ago Gustav Oloffson is still in the league and signed a 2 way deal with the Kraken! Dude’s a survivor!

JoeMX1825
    MN

GMBG did a quick presser at the NHL Draft hotel tonight (video put out on twitter by the team) He said they have a new assistant coach, he just can’t announce it yet? He’s open to moving up in the draft, but it needs to be for a kid Judd says is worth the price, he also said the prospect pool they currently have will allow them to draft for position instead of BPA, so don’t expect a D unless it’s a landslide better player still available…

JoeMX1825
    MN

This thread is officially CLOSED at 245 pages! New 2023/2024 Thread will be posted soon!

Viewing 30 posts - 7,291 through 7,320 (of 7,320 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.