It's Here……

• Andrew Pansch

Imagine closing schools or businesses if someone comes in with the flu…… gross overreacting and the media is to blame.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

We don’t have to imagine it. Just look at how many businesses are closed in Chine. Is the media spreading fear – yes. But is it that bad to error on the side of caution with something we know little about?

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Imagine closing schools or businesses if someone comes in with the flu…… gross overreacting and the media is to blame.

The distribution curve on new cases went vertical when most people weren’t paying attention. The CDC’s bureaucratic incompetence made sure we were kept in the dark. Those of us that were paying attention know where this thing leads. Exponential function and a highly infectious new virus mean the forest was bone dry, a fire has started, and the forecast is for winds to steadily increase day over day. Our health care workers already had the yearly flu forest fire to deal with. Some of us are in a very scary predicament. There is a very long way to go on this and the numbers coming out of Italy should unsettle us all.

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

”There is a very long way to go on this and the numbers coming out of Italy should unsettle us all.”

BP – thanks for your attempts to create added awareness.

For those who work in the medical profession do you ever miss the days of being medically illiterate like so many commenting on this still unknown virus?

Prayers to those innocent victims this virus kills.

Karry Kyllo

For those who work in the medical profession do you ever miss the days of being medically illiterate like so many commenting on this still unknown virus?

The virus causing COVID-19 is not unknown. It’s severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2).

Dan
    Southeast MN

But is it that bad to error on the side of caution with something we know little about?

Agree. Compare it all you want to the normal flu, deaths by natural disasters, deaths by falling off ladders, etc. If a person reads the article you see that someone with a confirmed case of this virus visited the school Saturday, a virus spreading worldwide. Will it do/prevent anything? Maybe not, and we’ll never know. Why are people so offended that they took measures to protect the kids?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

”There is a very long way to go on this and the numbers coming out of Italy should unsettle us all.”

Now us healthcare workers know how the DNR must feel regarding mille lacs management…everyone’s an expert cause they read something somewhere on social media…LMAO.

The other issue we have in MN is we still haven’t peaked from the flu yet. The issue isn’t like this is the black plague but more that it’s going to tie up and use ALL our resources if we can’t slow the outbreak down.

Here’s one for the people not worried that it’ll affect them…

https://nypost.com/2020/03/09/new-jersey-coronavirus-patient-thinks-he-caught-it-at-times-square-hotel/

Deuces

“R0 predicts the number of people who can catch a given bug from a single infected person, Live Science previously reported. Currently, the R0 for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes the disease COVID-19, is estimated at about 2.2, meaning a single infected person will infect about 2.2 others, on average. By comparison, the flu has an R0 of 1.3……..

. For example, in 1918 there was a worldwide outbreak of the swine flu that killed 50 million people. According to a review article published in BMC Medicine, the R0 value of the 1918 pandemic was estimated to be between 1.4 and 2.8. But when the swine flu, or H1N1 virus, came back in 2009, its R0 value was between 1.4 and 1.6, report researchers in the journal Science. The existence of vaccines and antiviral drugs made the 2009 outbreak much less deadly.”

Food for thought. And for clarity the 0 should be one of those small zeros kinda to the side and underneath the R

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

A lot of people are pointing at the mortality rate numbers saying they’re exaggerated. This is true but it also means that R0 number is underestimated.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Let’s assume the worst and we are all going to contract it, then what. How long does it last, how bad is it? Are talking 105 fever for 3-4 weeks or is it a fever for a couple days and then you move on with life. Question is how will this affect the majority of healthy people out there?

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Let’s assume the worst and we are all going to contract it, then what. How long does it last, how bad is it? Are talking 105 fever for 3-4 weeks or is it a fever for a couple days and then you move on with life. Question is how will this affect the majority of healthy people out there?

From what I understand (from co-workers spouse who is a doctor), unless you are in bad health, infant, or elderly, you most likely won’t know you even have it. For the average individual, no different than the normal seasonal flu or cold.

Also stated the death numbers will be severely exaggerated because most people who have it won’t come in to get tested or ever know they have it.

Charles

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Kurt Turner wrote:</div>

Now us healthcare workers know how the DNR must feel regarding mille lacs management…everyone’s an expert cause they read something somewhere on social media…LMAO.

The other issue we have in MN is we still haven’t peaked from the flu yet. The issue isn’t like this is the black plague but more that it’s going to tie up and use ALL our resources if we can’t slow the outbreak down.

Here’s one for the people not worried that it’ll affect them…

https://nypost.com/2020/03/09/new-jersey-coronavirus-patient-thinks-he-caught-it-at-times-square-hotel/

For some reason I don’t believe that doctor, his symptoms don’t really match.

Fowldreams55398

The sky is falling!!! Make sure you kiss your loved ones good bye when you head off to work because you may never return. This will be the end of the world as we know it. But that 12 case supply of TP in the garage will help for years to come if we survive.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

If you bury your head in the sand you won’t catch it.

Eric duffy

Just wash your hands and avoid large concentrations of people. You should be fine. Most report nothing more than mild cold symptoms. This big scare has been nothing but a phsy-op to take advantage of an election and manipulate the stock market. That’s about it. Covid 19 carries a 1.5-3 percent fatality rate among the infected. Most of who were elderly, and also with underlying health issues. Most healthy people are good to go after a couple weeks, a few rolls of t.p., and a few boxes of Kleenex.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

So you’re saying I should go to a location where there is less people? I think a trip to the Dakotas is on tap!

JEREMY
    BP

So am understanding this correctly as long as we are not old or young theres nothing to worry about. Does that mean we shouldnt worry about our little kids or our parents or grandparents.

That’s about it. Covid 19 carries a 1.5-3 percent fatality rate among the infected. Most of who were elderly,

Maybe its just me but I worry about them a lot more them myself.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

So am understanding this correctly as long as we are not old or young theres nothing to worry about. Does that mean we shouldnt worry about our little kids or our parents or grandparents.

That’s exactly correct. It’s reached a point now where we’re supposed to only worry about ourselves. There’s many that should have no trouble with this.

Sharon
    SE Metro

“Anoka County resident in their 30s tested positive for the novel coronavirus and the patient is currently in the hospital in critical condition.” Of course this doesn’t say why exactly the patient was hospitalized… sometimes that happens with bad colds/flu, especially if the patient has underlying illnesses like asthma.

https://kstp.com/news/third-covid-19-case-confirmed-minnesota-patient-critical-condition/5670158/?cat=1&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KSTP-TV&fbclid=IwAR3NbMa8-rKV03BSA52N_8oG-t6MYKetUOvETAQLaH6y00FLF3czQ0djt80

slawrenz
    Twin Cities

Biggill mentioned having 2000 U.S. case by Friday. I am afraid that will be an underestimate, as of now current case are at 804, I would be very surprised if the count doe not exceed 4000 by Friday.

Source: Johns-Hopkins

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I am prepping my boat tomorrow and am prepared to quarantine myself on the river until I run out of TP and hand sanitizer.

bigpike

I never thought a form of the common cold would take down the worlds economy.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

I am prepping my boat tomorrow and am prepared to quarantine myself on the river until I run out of TP and hand sanitizer.

kleenex and lotion

Justin riegel

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigpike wrote:</div>
    I never thought a form of the common cold would take down the worlds economy.

The common cold doesn’t put healthy 30 year old people into critical condition.

https://kstp.com/news/third-covid-19-case-confirmed-minnesota-patient-critical-condition/5670158/?cat=1&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KSTP-TV&fbclid=IwAR3NbMa8-rKV03BSA52N_8oG-t6MYKetUOvETAQLaH6y00FLF3czQ0djt80

I missed where it said she was healthy before this and had no prior conditions?

B-man

Where did you read that it’s a female? I didn’t see the sex listed anywhere?

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20200310-1536132.png

B-man

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20200310-1536132-1.png

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 238 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.