Such music….

• Jimmy Jones

Ma and I have been sitting on our porch listening to two Great Horned Owls talking back and forth. Mind you, this is in the heart of Rochester. We have a few huge cottonwood trees in the neighborhood and both of these birds are roosting in a couple them along the creek behind us. They were hooting up a storm two nights ago and they are at it again tonight, even as I type. I don’t think there is a more enchanting sound than a Great Horned Owl’s hooting serenade. Now add two of them chatting back and forth….the finest of Mother Nature’s music.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Owls are so cool, probably my favorite birds. You rarely see them unless you get really lucky. We hear them all the time in the SW side of Roch. We did hear some weird sounds a month ago that I can only assume were owls but who knows?

jwellsy

I love talking to owls.
    Cup your hands together with your thumbs parallel but slightly apart, then blow gently down from the knuckles across the opening. You can make a pretty decent owl call for turkey hunting or messing with loons in the middle of the night.
    When sitting around a campfire on a waterway, sometimes you can get an owl to answer you. Wait several minutes and then call again, listen for the owl to move closer to you. Keep doing this without rushing and the owl may fly into a tree in your camp. It’s very thrilling to call one in, especially for kids.

This same cupped hands call can be used to call in Bobwhite quail.

brandyman
    West central MN

Thay are neat to hear in the woods as long as they don’t sit on your roof and call all night. (True story)
    That same night, we were listening to the Beatles. There must be 1000’s in our poplar trees. Walked out to get more wood from the fire, and all I heard was buzzzzzzzzz. They are brown, about 3/4″ long.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.