Gull Lake Walleye

• ganderpike
    Alexandria

Lady friend has a cabin on Gull and I’ve talked a big game on catching walleye. My plan this weekend is to pull cranks shallow over emerging weeds (at night). Maybe pitch shiners during the day in the 10-16’ range.

Beyond that Im talking out of my A$$. Im a confident angler on most Otter Tail county waters, but the Brainerd area is intimidating me.

I’ve been in Alabama for work the last month, Ill get some OTC reports up soon.

Any advice for Gull?

CaptainMusky

At night hole in the day bay with cranks should produce. There are a couple pieces of mid lake structures and then just the general flat (huge) on the far east side. The dropoff is severe around all of them so its hard to navigate. The one midlake structure you can hit rocks so be mindful of that.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

None for Gull, never fished it. Can tell you they were in 13-15ft on Bowstring last weekend, still relating to shore line stuff more than off shore. We had the best luck dragging lindy rigs with plain hook, one bead and a leech. Wish I could repay you for the help a couple years ago with Chip. Good luck

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I was on gull last memorial weekend and it was tough. Never fished it before but every good piece of structure would only have sand on it. I would spend some time scanning shoreline points & humps to see if you can find either weed edges or rock piles and drop waypoints.

Ripjiggen

None for Gull, never fished it. Can tell you they were in 13-15ft on Bowstring last weekend, still relating to shore line stuff more than off shore. We had the best luck dragging lindy rigs with plain hook, one bead and a leech. Wish I could repay you for the help a couple years ago with Chip. Good luck

Still relating to shore on Mille Lacs to. Although off shore structure is starting to show some signs of life.

I think your plan for Gull is solid.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

x2. And if you’re lady friend is in line to inherit said cabin, put a ring on it! EPG has gotten married for less devil rotflol

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

And if you’re lady friend is in line to inherit said cabin, put a ring on it! EPG has gotten married for less

I agree on both accounts jester

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

x2. And if you’re lady friend is in line to inherit said cabin, put a ring on it! EPG has gotten married for less

This is gold!

TH

Go for an hour. Blame the fish. Then tie up to the dock at Zorbaz.

IceManBran

Go for an hour. Blame the fish. Then tie up to the dock at Zorbaz.

Big fan of Ernies as well. Gull is a fun lake.

Nodakk

Get ready to be frustrated lol. You’ve got the right idea. You will see a lot of us locals fishing sunset into the dark. Neighbor just told me he caught them last night in 3’ and in 30’

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The water is very clear out there. I’ll echo what has been said already. Fish at night time. If you are out there during the day with the sun out, you’ll need a miracle.

NowthenJoe

I haven’t fished Gull myself, but I remember Jason Mitchell did a video out there a few years back. If it is anything like Mille Lacs right now, get ready for the bugs.

Here is the link to the Jason Mitchell video:

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

I’m interested to hear your results.

I’ll be up there in 3 weeks for my wife’s company work retreat, staying at Maddens. I figure I will be working early mornings, then come back to the resort bring the woman and whoever wants a boat ride to Zorbas, get them liquored up and tired, bring them back so they fall asleep so I can fish at night.

It might be a bold strategy Cotton, so we’ll see if it pays off.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Used to fish it quite a bit, weeds go deep. Lots of perch and panfish bothering you. Always did well with #9 jig raps on deep weedlines, even during the day

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Appreciate all the responses. Turns out the beer tasted way better at Ernies than it did fishing. Got out for a couple hours on Gull Wednesday night. Very nice night. Found a few fish on the 20’ break and caught a couple up shallow. Jointed crank actually caught most of the fish. Next time I plan on using bobbers on em.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3322-scaled.jpeg

Brittman

We used to troll shallow (6-8′) areas the last two hours of the day and catch quite a few fish. Floating raps over the growing weeds. If we were moving over 2 mph we caught bass and northern. Under 2 and we picked up 14 – 16 inch walleye. Typically, a walleye per pass or every other.

I love raps with a young family in the boat. Put boat in neutral to net a fish and all the other line baits float to the top.

This was Gull. I suppose it was then the lake wasn’t as clear as it is today.

Last couple years we started fishing Gull again. We have done OK trolling the last hour of daylight. Shallow weedline next to deep break lines. Not many fish but the ones we catch are pretty nice 17″ – 21″. Average 1 or 2 an evening.

If you want to catch fish – that lake has some tremendous bass fishing. B’gills can be very nice too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.