Outboard Mechanic in N to NW suburbs

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Some of you are aware of the lower unit damage that occurred to my rig over the weekend. I am looking for a good reputable shop in the north to NW suburbs or as far as Princeton.

The insurance adjuster said he didn’t even want to come out and look at it because there is most likely more internal damage. He wants a shop to evaluate it and give him an estimate. He isn’t pushing me toward any specific shops and is asking where I want to take it.

Does anyone have any recommendations in this area? I’m less concerned about the skeg as I am about the mechanical parts being repaired correctly or replaced as needed.

mojogunter

If it is a Mercury I would bring it to Rapid Marine in Ham Lake and ask for Chad to look at it. He is an outstanding marine mechanic.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Unfortunately it’s not a Merc. It’s a Johnson. Rapid is out of the question because they do not work on them.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Call these guys and see what they say.

Performance Propeller
    5333 Lakeland Ave
    Minneapolis, MN 55429
    Phone number
    (763) 535-8011

Ripjiggen

I have used prince bait. Good people.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I would call Anchor Marine in Delano and ask them who the go-to is for Johnson outboards. I don’t believe Anchor does outboards, but because of all their insurance work, they will know who the go-to shop is these days. Might save you a lot of calling around to every shop.

Depending on the outborad’s age, this can get tricky as so many shops won’t work on anything older than 10 years old. Which, BTW, is a total crock of ####.

Or truck it down to see Sheldon.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Call these guys and see what they say.

Performance Propeller
    5333 Lakeland Ave
    Minneapolis, MN 55429
    Phone number
    (763) 535-8011

Will they do the mechanical work or just the prop and skeg repair?

I have a bent (and twisted) prop shaft so the gears and the LU need to be thoroughly evaluated.

Dan Baker

I had a bent propshaft repaired at Formula Propeller in MG. I’m not sure how far into the internals they go, but they did a great job on mine.

Tony Hanson

I’d check with H2Outfitters in Big Lake

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Thanks. Looking into that place right now.

Anyone familiar with Pro-tec Marine in Albertville?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Depending on the outborad’s age, this can get tricky as so many shops won’t work on anything older than 10 years old. Which, BTW, is a total crock of ####.

It’s an 02. I see Hallberg does anything 2000 and newer. Hopefully that’s the standard cutoff year. Looks like I’m not going to be able to be too picky about this.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I would call Anchor Marine in Delano and ask them who the go-to is for Johnson outboards. I don’t believe Anchor does outboards, but because of all their insurance work, they will know who the go-to shop is these days. Might save you a lot of calling around to every shop.

Or truck it down to see Sheldon.

I ran into this a few years ago. Yea it stinks. Especially when the dealer outright lies to you.

I’ll never step into untune marine in Richmond again flame

zooks

I have an early 90s Johnson and as Grouse said, after Robbinsdale Marine closed it’s tough to find a shop willing and able to touch it. Didn’t like anything close so I’ve ended up over at Roberts Marine, Brian and Zach are great to work with.

Had mixed luck with Pro-Tec in Albertville years ago, have not gone back. Good luck with what you choose.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I have an early 90s
    Had mixed luck with Pro-Tec in Albertville years ago, have not gone back. Good luck with what you choose.

Thanks for the input. I dug up some old posts on IDO and the reviews are all bad. I get a feeling they’ve fudged their google reviews.

Anyone use Riverview Sports and Marine in Elk River?

I’m basically crossing off all the places nearby. Also interested in places in the NE or E metro/suburbs. I’d go as far as Pine City or so.

realtreeap10
    Over there

I’ve got a buddy that works at Riverview, haven’t personally been there with no boat right now so can’t speak to that but from talking with him they work on all kinds of motors and boat work, been working there for almost 15 years I believe.

B-man

Probably not worth an insurance claim.

Give Countryside Marine call.

They put a new prop shaft in a boat I was flipping a few years ago, it was a 125 Mercury and I want to say it was around $600.

They might even have a whole lower unit hiding in the boneyard somewhere that you could buy and do yourself.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

They did a prop shaft on a Merc for me a few years ago. No complaints.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The way I see it, my deductible is $125. Everyone is telling me there is likely more damage than a bent prop, broken skeg and bent shaft. Even if the bill is $500 it might still be worth it. A new prop and shaft in parts alone will come to over $700. Plus $300 for skeg repair. $1000 before labor.

The insurance adjuster said he would advise the gears are sent out for testing to make sure they weren’t damaged either. If I go out on my own and find out it’s a lot more than what it looks like, it’ll be a much bigger uphill battle dealing with insurance than starting with them in the first place. If I had a dime for every time I’ve heard the words “Whoah! I’ve never see a prop bent so bad” I’d have this thing paid for by now. I’m not overly optimistic it’ll be cheap.

As long as he’s the one recommending that everything is thoroughly evaluated, I’m all on board. I want to do everything I can to prevent an issue 1/2 way between Isle Royale and Grand Portage this summer.

Leaning heavily towards Riverview at this point.

Hallberg has mostly bad reviews for their shop too. The people there always seemed incredibly arrogant to me. They have decent prices on parts and marine oil though.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The insurance guy spoke to Riverview and they told him they would take it apart and evaluate it, but they won’t put it back together. They said by the time everything is repaired, it would cost as much as a new aftermarket LU without the warranty.

Does anyone have any opinions on an aftermarket LU? He said they would install a SEI brand LU.

The only issue is that it would end up being black instead of white.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

X2 on Countryview Marine in North Branch/ Stacy.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Countryview is my shop of choice right on 17 amd 61. Great shop and I’ve known them forever.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Is it a 4 stroke? If it is then it is a Suzuki and you can take it to a Suzuki dealer. The only difference was in the controls side of things, BRP used their wire harness and controls.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Countryview is my shop of choice right on 17 amd 61. Great shop and I’ve known them forever.

I’ve got a call into them. They are looking into it and will give me a call back.

I asked them about the SEI lower units and he doesn’t recommend at all. Online opinions in other forums are great either. Most people replace their LU with these because of the low replacement cost. Sounds like they are made in China.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You have insurance, get the lower unit you want. When paying insurance they like to charge you for a BMW and pay out with a Yugo.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Good advice. I just don’t know which one I should get. That’s why I’m asking. The shops I’m calling I’m telling them I want the best available not the cheapest or best guarantee.

mojo

As was mentioned earlier, give a call to Robert’s Marine. Good guys and lowest labor rate in the area last I checked.
    It’s a mile north of I94 in Roberts, WI – 10 miles east of the St.Croix, I know it’s not your ideal location, but worth a phone call.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

At this point. I plan on calling at least one other place to get the scoop on these SEI LUs and what other options there are. I want a LU that’ll last another 22 years if some idiot doesn’t hit another rock before then.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

A little more west than you may like, but Dingmann Marine in Annandale is great option. A lot of experience on a wide variety of outboard brands. Most shops are going to be swamped now so more options is always good.

MX1825

I would check with Sheldon on his opinion on that complete lower unit quality.

You have insurance, get the lower unit you want. When paying insurance they like to charge you for a BMW and pay out with a Yugo.

Oh how true Dutchy! bow

Also reminds me of an old joke.

Guy walks into a parts store:
    I want a gas cap for my Yugo.

Counterman:
    Sounds like a fair trade to me.

Iowaboy1

Run away from a shop that wants to sell you an SEI,run fast,run hard,absolute sh!t.
    If you cant find someone shoot me a pm.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.