Gas Station Preferences

• Hey

Using a credit card to pay for a gas is a no brainer. Using a credit card for practically all purchases is the way to go, paying in cash is old fashioned and outdated. Perks of using credit cards:
    -Safer than carrying/using cash and/or debit cards.
    -If your card gets lost/stolen there is literally 0 chance you lose any money, the credit card issuer takes on all the risk.
    -Allows you to earn various rewards/perks (I just booked a flight using solely Delta SkyMiles).
    -Helps you to build your credit score.

Pay it off monthly, never carry a balance, never pay any interest… it’s not “new fashioned”, at this point using a credit card for day to day purchases is basically common sense.

My mom co-signed a credit card for me in high school. I never had access to it, and she bought groceries every time with it and got airline miles.

I had great credit because of her and she saved so much interest for me later in life.

Doug M
    SE SD

I suppose when swiping your card your doing your part to pay for random processing and banking fees,helping to keep banks and a middleman or two in business,good for you guys

What would our lives be like if banks and credit unions closed up?

B-man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>matt wrote:</div>
    Not sure why everyone loves credit and debit cards so much

Because I don’t like paying full price for something when I can get it for 5% off. When you get roughly 5% off every purchase you make with a credit card, you’re throwing money away by paying with cash or a debit card.

But to answer your question as to why I love credit cards, it’s because I love saving money and paying less for things. Also, it’s a hassle to carry cash around and takes longer to pay at the register. Finally, it’s MUCH easier to track spending and budget your expenses when there’s an easily downloaded electronic record of each transaction.

I’d say on average, a typical household can save between $2k-$5k per year, depending on individual spending habits, when switching from paying cash for everything to paying with a credit card with good rewards. On top of that, I save around $100-200 a year by using gas coupons along with GetUpside.

What card gives you 5% back on everything??

Sounds too good to be true

Gitchi Gummi

that is the long term average when you factor in the initial sign up bonuses which I’m sure you know, can be the best perk of many of these cards. If you have 2-3 cards at a time and use them selectively, you can use the one for groceries that gets 6% there, another for gas that gets 5% at gas stations, and a third card for all others. When you factor in the monetization of the sign up bonuses, the long term average of net cash savings is around 5%.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Realize too that every time you sign up for another credit card, it affects your credit rating in a negative way.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I use top tier stations as much as possible. Better additives for better engine protection.

Is this really a thing with Top Tier? Noticed Costco gas is Top Tier, but usually get 1-2 mpg less with Costco gas.

Paid $3.49 at Costco yesterday, most places elsewhere were $3.99, $3.94 or saw one that was $3.84

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Paid $3.49 at Costco yesterday, most places elsewhere were $3.99, $3.94 or saw one that was $3.84

It was $3.69 at several stations in Princeton, MN yesterday. Still $3.89 to $3.99 in the metro.

Dan Baker

I love Kwik Trip, but now that they are only prepay or pay at the pump, i need to do two transactions to fill up my truck. It stops at $115 for credit and $100 for debit. I sure hope prices come down, so this isn’t a problem anymore.

Viewing 8 posts - 91 through 98 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.