Gas Station Preferences

• Sharon
    SE Metro

I’ve always been a name-brand gas station kinda person (Holiday, SA). But with the rising cost of gas prices and the variety of stations out there nowdays I’m wondering if it really makes a difference which gas station you use? Is Holiday gas really any different in quality than say like a generic Gas N Go store? Thoughts?

CaptainMusky

I have definitely noticed a difference in gas from various places. My wife’s Outlook hated Sam’s gas and the service engine light would come on any time she used it. So we quit going there. Kwik Trip tends to have the best fuel from what I have found. There is a website that list “Top Tier” fuels I believe. Kwik Trip has Top Tier fuels. I have had good results at Holiday as well.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

Since I started using “Top Tier” gas (Shell and Kwik Trip by me) I know get better mileage. It will say Top Tier on pump/nozzle.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Kwik Trip enough said

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Kwik Trip enough said

X2. Kwik Trip is my go to. One of the Few places in my area that has 91 non oxygenated fuel that I use in my outboard motor.

I will also use Costco fuel. Not for the outboard motor though.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Tim’s in Stacy was my go to for years. There subs and tacos were the bomb. Now we have 3 holidays, 2 kwik trips and a Casey’s in town. They all suck. I’ll go to almalund 10 minutes out the way to help the little ma and pa station. And they have 110 race fuel for the one bike I have. Holiday, kwik trip and Casey’s all make me pre pay or pay at the pump so I don’t fuel anything but the work truck there

David Vold
    Baraboo, WI

I have found in my new truck that I get better gas mileage when I fill up at the BP station as opposed to Kwik Trip. It at time can be as much as 5 miles per gallon. (2022 Ford Maverick with 4 cylinder turbo)

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Kwik Trip enough said

Why is that enough said. I think that’s the worst of them all besides the rotisserie chicken

CaptainMusky

Holiday, kwik trip and Casey’s all make me pre pay or pay at the pump so I don’t fuel anything but the work truck there

You travel outside of MN (at least South) almost all stations are this way. I am surprised it took Kwik Trip this long to require it. They just started doing it here locally a few weeks back.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    Holiday, kwik trip and Casey’s all make me pre pay or pay at the pump so I don’t fuel anything but the work truck there

You travel outside of MN (at least South) almost all stations are this way. I am surprised it took Kwik Trip this long to require it. They just started doing it here locally a few weeks back.

I don’t mind when I’m out of town but I do when it’s my local store. Not sure why, but I choose to go elsewhere

KP
    Hudson, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>KP wrote:</div>
    Kwik Trip enough said

Why is that enough said. I think that’s the worst of them all besides the rotisserie chicken

I have never been to Kwik Trip that was short staffed, had dirty bathrooms, not a fan of gas station food but if im going to eat its going to be at Kwik Trip(the Cheese Sticks are my go to), they are always well stocked, and lastly great service. Also the no fee ATM’s are plus as well. So that why I said enough said. I have a Marathon in my town and that would be the last place I’d go.

I’d like to support a Ma and Pa Station but not many of those around any more.

MX1825

I never buy at Kwik Trip. Name brand (BP, Shell, Mobil, Exxon Mobil,Marathon, Texaco,etc) is usually better quality and is consistently the same from tank to tank. Additives, detergents, etc.
    Kwik Trip, Casey’s, etc buy on the open market. Whatever company has the best price and meets octane standards is where the generic stations buy their loads of fuel.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Kwik trip, clean stores, good gas, great food, no fee ATM, discount at the pump and in store…..nuff said. I drive out of my way to one

JEREMY
    BP

Its cheaper if you siphon your neighbors.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I use top tier stations as much as possible. Better additives for better engine protection. Doesn’t matter to me which one as I almost never go inside.

Speedway is not a top tier station BTW.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Speedway is not a top tier station BTW.

How can you tell which ones are a top tier?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

i dont pay enough attention to my vehicles performance based on where i get my gas. well, let me rephrase, i havent noticed a difference. I use the getupside app and select the station with the cheapest fuel. usually thats a station in a hard to get to location so they can draw in more customers. Almost all of the stations listed in my area on the app are either holidays or SA. Saved over $400 on the app last year

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The great gas station debate…awesome topic.

I’ll first start with my “No go’s”. I don’t do Shell. It was probably a fluke but the one nearest to us was the ONE place I’ve ever definitely received bad fuel.

Otherwise, I am fairly open to trying different places. Things I seek out are:

-has non oxy fuel
    -has free ATM (kudos to Kwik Trip)
    -doesn’t make me prepay and can instead pay with cash inside afterwards
    -relatively easy in and out (towing the tritoon or other trailers is annoying in some of the small lots where people park all over he**)

Deuces

The places that get me the best gas are a good fatty BBQ, or the sketchy taco truck will always put out some high octane as well.

RVRDUX
    Dakota, MN

Being from the LaCrosse, WI area we have a KT on every block since it the home of KT. The stores are great and I am usually at one almost every day for something. But I do not buy my gas from them since I can go a 1/4 mile down the road and buy my Premium gas from Woodmans for 30 to 40 cents cheaper a gallon. Not sure how they do that. I haven’t noticed any issues running it.

Thanks,
    RVRDUX

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I go with Shell, Cenex, then Holiday. I have a Shell right near me and a Shell rewards card. I fill up 3-4 times a week and save between 10-22 cents per gallon.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Is there a difference between Kwik Trip and Kwik Star? I do go to Kwik Star often as they have glazers and good gas. I also like BP gas stations, however, I find Casey’s gas to give me the worst gas mileage. YMMV.

CaptainMusky

Is there a difference between Kwik Trip and Kwik Star?

Same company. I got a propane tank from Kwik Trip and it has a Kwik Star label on it.

Reef W

Don’t think so, they are just called Kwik Star in Iowa because of QuikTrip which is a different company.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

BP place for me
    Never kwik trip after five people working there and only one cashier working in the mornings. Six customers in line and most are on the their way to work.
    Not acceptable!
    Man I wish PDQ
    was still around, didn’t sell lotto tickets and you could make your own sandwiches.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Steven Krapfl wrote:</div>

Don’t think so, they are just called Kwik Star in Iowa because of QuikTrip which is a different company.

toast Thanks for the clarification. My buddy and I were wondering why we can never find a Kwik Star in Wisconsin. whistling

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Almost exclusively use Holiday because I have a Luther Card that gets me 10 cents off/gallon and a $6 Works Wash. Plus I buy groceries at Cub Foods and I earn rewards for gas at Holiday for it, so I can double up. Last week had 80 cents off/gallon that I used when I filled up and saved me 16 bucks.

I do on occasion use Hy-Vee because of the fuel rewards there too but I don’t buy all my regular groceries there since it costs more.

I do like Kwik Trip because they are generally cleaner inside but I don’t buy my fuel there.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Kwik Trip and certain Holidays. Varies by town for Holiday, some are clean and have good bathrooms, others make me feel like a .45 isn’t enough. Looking at you Monticello and St Cloud

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.