Gas Station Preferences

• the_hat
    SE Metro

it’s the boomers who are used to paying in cash for everything. probably carry a wallet the size of a small book too. debit cards have pins, gas cards have pins, big CC companies back all transactions. they probably hiding money from their wives?
    it took a company buying our company out 5 years ago to get direct deposit because one old dude didn’t want it so the other 99% of employees had to wait for a check in the mail. these are the guys that still bury money in their yards!
    [/quote]

Who doesn’t hide money from their wives? How else is stuff gonna just show up that you have “ no idea where it came from”?

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

My handle KwickStick started out spelled KwikStik when I started here over 20 years ago. At one point I couldn’t log in and reregistered and changed the spelling, lost a ton of posts,…whatever. But I did start out with KwikStik as a play on words for Kwik Trip. My wife thinks of the handle in a different context. roll

Anyway, I’m mostly a Kwik Trip guy, but will pull into a Holiday now and then because I like their coffee better.

Mike West

I preffer Kwik Trip, especially when needing non oxy.
    One of the few places around me that have an individual hose for each type of gas at each pump.
    Feel better chance I’m getting all non oxy.

404 ERROR
    MN

It ain’t right if it ain’t Kwik Trip or Casey’s.

Everyone’s open to an opinion, but this ain’t no opinion, it’s a fact. devil

ThunderLund78

My wife and I do a cash budget every month and it works great. Still have cards for occasional online purchases, hotel booking, etc – but don’t use them very often. Yes, we have a separate cash budget for gas. We’re adapting, going to start to put that gas money into general checking and use the debit card and Get Up-side app to save a little where we can. If I have to go in to grab a drink or a snack, we’ll still use cash.

I venture to guess I’m on the younger side of most posters on here. I don’t see using cash as old-fashioned. It’s an easy way for us to manage our spending and stay out of debt.

Anyway, back to the topic – Kwik Trip is the best! I like Pothole frozen pizzas better than Heggies, Lottza Mozza, etc. If the Vikings are fortunate enough to win a game, they’re always 2 for 1 the next day, so we stock up. Great Chicken Strips, Grab/Go food options and Bakery. Employees always seem to generally be in a good mood, too. At least compared to other gas stations in my town.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Kwik Trip Coffee is above average compared to most gas stations. Their doughnuts are maybe slightly below average. I’m not a big hot plate junk food person, but it looks like they generally have options. They are also more often than not some of the cleaner gas stations.

I have a coworker who picks up shifts occasionally at the local KT. He raves about working for that company and says that they’re flexible with hours, pay a decent hourly rate, and send him a nice check every year around Christmas time (profit sharing).

Deuces

I stay away from Casey’s bc it’s inevitable I grab a slice of that ridiculous pizza every.single.time. 2 slices if it’s bfast slices…

WalleyeDan
    Red Wing/Wherever Work Takes Me

Using a credit card to pay for a gas is a no brainer. Using a credit card for practically all purchases is the way to go, paying in cash is old fashioned and outdated. Perks of using credit cards:
    -Safer than carrying/using cash and/or debit cards.
    -If your card gets lost/stolen there is literally 0 chance you lose any money, the credit card issuer takes on all the risk.
    -Allows you to earn various rewards/perks (I just booked a flight using solely Delta SkyMiles).
    -Helps you to build your credit score.

Pay it off monthly, never carry a balance, never pay any interest… it’s not “new fashioned”, at this point using a credit card for day to day purchases is basically common sense.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I’m a very late baby boomer, 1959. I use credit cards all the time (Cub, Target, Holiday gas, online). I only go inside a gas station to use the bathroom. Just before the pandemic hit I went to LOW so I took $100 out of the bank for cash. It took me about a year to spend it all. rotflol

Rick Z
    Stark MN

Using a credit card to pay for a gas is a no brainer. Using a credit card for practically all purchases is the way to go, paying in cash is old fashioned and outdated. Perks of using credit cards:
    -If your card gets lost/stolen there is literally 0 chance you lose any money, the credit card issuer takes on all the risk.
    -Allows you to earn various rewards/perks (I just booked a flight using solely Delta SkyMiles).

Pay it off monthly, never carry a balance, never pay any interest… it’s not “new fashioned”, at this point using a credit card for day to day purchases is basically common sense.

Exactly well said I travel a lot for work and I get huge benefits using AMEX Delta card for everything. The only thing I use cash for is scratchys and pull tabs

Deuces

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>WalleyeDan wrote:</div>

Exactly well said I travel a lot for work and I get huge benefits using AMEX Delta card for everything. The only thing I use cash for is scratchys and pull tabs

I really need to get on this train. Too many perks not to

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I really need to get on this train. Too many perks not to
    [/quote]

I avoided this for a long time. ive always had credit cards but rarely used them. Finally i couldnt avoid the benefits any longer and signed up for an AMEX. i get 6% off on groceries and streaming services, 3% off on gas as well as in store purchases, and 1% off everything else. plus a one time $300 bonus if i spend like 3k in 6 months and the first yearly fee is waived. Ive only been using it for 3 weeks so far and have already recouped about $45 in rewards money. Plus as mentioned the security provided using a CC cannot be matched and in todays world where hacking activities are happening all over the place its a must IMO

matt

I pay cash for everything.If I pull into a gas station and pumps are pre-pay I move along to the next station.Not sure why everyone loves credit and debit cards so much.Cash is easy-no bills to pay each month,no balance to keep track of,no atm fees when ya do need cash.I suppose when swiping your card your doing your part to pay for random processing and banking fees,helping to keep banks and a middleman or two in business,good for you guys

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I pay cash for everything.If I pull into a gas station and pumps are pre-pay I move along to the next station.Not sure why everyone loves credit and debit cards so much.Cash is easy-no bills to pay each month,no balance to keep track of,no atm fees when ya do need cash.I suppose when swiping your card your doing your part to pay for random processing and banking fees,helping to keep banks and a middleman or two in business,good for you guys

Read the last page of responses for explanation

milemark_714

I preffer Kwik Trip, especially when needing non oxy.
    One of the few places around me that have an individual hose for each type of gas at each pump.
    Feel better chance I’m getting all non oxy.

Our new KT has N87,which I like better than the 91.The Honda 50 runs smoother on 87 vs 91.

Glad we don’t have a Bu-Cee’s here,those damn beaver nuggets.

Karry Kyllo

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Karry Kyllo wrote:</div>
    I’ve always bought my gasoline wherever I can buy it for the lowest cost and I’ve yet to have a problem with bad gasoline since I first got my license in 1973.

I experienced many issues with bad gas back when I always hunted out the cheapest. Freedom, Save, and Gasmart come to mind. I’d have clogged injectors, filters, and worse mileage pretty quickly. This was early 2000’s.

All I can say is that our experiences with lowest cost gasoline are quite different. Every gasoline resaler must meet the same minimum federal requirements so there shouldn’t be any real differences in gasoline quality.

AK Guy

Glad we don’t have a Bu-Cee’s here,those damn beaver nuggets.
    [/quote]

I experienced my first Bu-Cee’s in November. Incredible. Over a hundred gas pumps, hot brisket sandwiches being cut by a chef, “The Wall of Jerky”, cleanest bathrooms in the world. There are no other gas stations like a Buc-ee’s. Google it and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The premium at Mobil in Trego Wi is top notch. I’ve run everything on it for 15 years with exceptional results.

FinickyFish

I’ll typically go anywhere but has anyone noticed how slow Holiday pumps are? I make half an effort to avoid them since it takes so long to fill a 32 gallon gas tank. But I also do Cub rewards so I still go when I’ve got points.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I got to say I have probably made close to 2K off credit card companies by simply paying debts off in the first 90 days and taking advantages of the free money they give me for dropping big deposits in their accounts. FYI to those going to Red Wing…….gas prices are around $3.40 so fill em up!

Gitchi Gummi

Not sure why everyone loves credit and debit cards so much

Because I don’t like paying full price for something when I can get it for 5% off. When you get roughly 5% off every purchase you make with a credit card, you’re throwing money away by paying with cash or a debit card.

But to answer your question as to why I love credit cards, it’s because I love saving money and paying less for things. Also, it’s a hassle to carry cash around and takes longer to pay at the register. Finally, it’s MUCH easier to track spending and budget your expenses when there’s an easily downloaded electronic record of each transaction.

I’d say on average, a typical household can save between $2k-$5k per year, depending on individual spending habits, when switching from paying cash for everything to paying with a credit card with good rewards. On top of that, I save around $100-200 a year by using gas coupons along with GetUpside.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>matt wrote:</div>
    Not sure why everyone loves credit and debit cards so much

Because I don’t like paying full price for something when I can get it for 5% off. When you get roughly 5% off every purchase you make with a credit card, you’re throwing money away by paying with cash or a debit card.

But to answer your question as to why I love credit cards, it’s because I love saving money and paying less for things. Also, it’s a hassle to carry cash around and takes longer to pay at the register. Finally, it’s MUCH easier to track spending and budget your expenses when there’s an easily downloaded electronic record of each transaction.

I’d say on average, a typical household can save between $2k-$5k per year, depending on individual spending habits, when switching from paying cash for everything to paying with a credit card with good rewards.

Don’t forget about the added protection you get with a CC. If there is a fraudulent charge on your CC just call them up and its immediately removed. Good luck with that for a debit card

Gitchi Gummi

Don’t forget about the added protection you get with a CC. If there is a fraudulent charge on your CC just call them up and its immediately removed. Good luck with that for a debit card

Great point! The added security protection you get around credit cards is incredible compared to debit cards.

stout93
    Becker MN

Costco

Paid $3.63 a gallon yesterday. Other gas stations were $3.89.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

KT gas is good but won`t run there diesel, my 7.3 runs much better on anything other the KT fuel.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Costco

Paid $3.63 a gallon yesterday. Other gas stations were $3.89.

That’s with a membership right? Is a Costco membership really worth these perks or do you break even?

stout93
    Becker MN

That’s with a membership right? Is a Costco membership really worth these perks or do you break even?

Right. You need a membership for gas.

We hit Costco probably once per month. Not sure about the break even point, I’m guessing we come out ahead based on all the stuff we buy.

It’s also where we get all of our Liquor/beer, although I don’t think you need the membership for the liquor store.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

Great point! The added security protection you get around credit cards is incredible compared to debit cards.

My debit card has the same fraud protection as my credit card does. I know this because I’ve had fraud on both and they were dealt with in the same manner. Both are Visa.

404 ERROR
    MN

Wings Financial Credit Union man! Not saying there isn’t a benefit to CC’s, but Wings has your back for fraud charges.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

Wings Financial Credit Union man! Not saying there isn’t a benefit to CC’s, but Wings has your back for fraud charges.

I’ve been with wings since 1996 back when they were owned by delta. Great bank. Haven’t had to test their fraud prevention but glad to hear they do a good job

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.