2010 Duck & Goose Migration Report

• kris_brantner
    My river

not to be mean as i know you are young, but you arent going to get a whole lot of responses to questions regarding specific areas. its like asking where is the best fishing holes on pool 4.

codycroteau
    La Crosse, WI

Goose island isn’t far from Brownsville so maybe I went to both areas?

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

Goose island isn’t far from Brownsville so maybe I went to both areas?

I thought of that, but then I looked and your post asking for directions on Goose and saying you would have to take a boat there from French Island was AFTER last weekend when you got 4 limits of ducks in Brownsville, which as you say isn’t very far from Goose Island, and actually is FARTHER from French Island.

codycroteau
    La Crosse, WI

youre confusing yourself. i obviously got directions on how to get to goose and from there i went to brownsville. sorry im ruining hunting guys

kris_brantner
    My river

no body said you are ruining hunting. just not a good idea to say where you are shooting birds unless you want the internet scouter down your through the next time you go out. if i told everyone that we are shooting the [censored] out of them if buffalo city limits everytime i go out you can bet there will be a few more guys out there. lets face it. its sickening how you can get to a spot 3 hours early to have some cornhole come half hour before shooting time to down wind ya by 60 or 70 yards. there are too many dang people out there anyways fighting for spots every day. keep it up if you are whacken birds. we all love pictures. im gonna post some up here when i get some time

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

youre confusing yourself. i obviously got directions on how to get to goose and from there i went to brownsville. sorry im ruining hunting guys

Ruining hunting? Not sure what you are talking about?

My only question was, you posted on Monday, 11/08/10 01:05 PM, your question saying you didn’t know how to get to Goose, you would have to take a boat from French Island etc., and then 4 days later you post up how you hunted Brownsville last weekend (which would be 11/6 and 11/7, adn FARTHER from Frech Island than Goose Island is) and shot 4 limits. Last weekend was BEFORE your post looking for info on Goose Island. How did you get to Brownsville last weekend to shoot 4 limits?

codycroteau
    La Crosse, WI

My cousin was able to take me. I don’t go hunt any other areas unless my cousin is driving. So yes I was able to find a ride to Brownsville where we shot 4 limits. What’s funny is that I wasn’t actually hunting out of Brownsville. So u can’t say that’s where I was hunting. Good assumption tho

kris_brantner
    My river

wow all im going to say is this is stupid. put some work in do some scouting and stop asking for places to hunt.

codycroteau
    La Crosse, WI

Sure as [censored] I scout more than you. I’ve put 12hrs all week scoutin my area. So don’t say I don’t scout or do anything!

kris_brantner
    My river

haha. then why are you asking where the birds are? you probably have scouted more than i have. seeing as how i work 12.5 hours a day and was sick for most of the week.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

My cousin was able to take me. I don’t go hunt any other areas unless my cousin is driving. So yes I was able to find a ride to Brownsville where we shot 4 limits. What’s funny is that I wasn’t actually hunting out of Brownsville. So u can’t say that’s where I was hunting. Good assumption tho

Yeah, um, it’s not really an assumption when you flat out said you were hunting the Brownsville area.

Regardless, this has been fun but good luck this weekend.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

haha. then why are you asking where the birds are? you probably have scouted more than i have. seeing as how i work 12.5 hours a day and was sick for most of the week.

Sucks when real life gets in the way of a good duck season huh?? Wish I didn’t have to work either, I would also be out scouting alot more.

Certainly looks like you’ve found some good ducks lately Kris!

rls

dem deer,
    how can you scout for 12 hours? i went today and scouted a large (goose)area in a half hour! i pm’d you and i got no response, so i guess you dont need any help.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

A couple of different boats in the Brownsville area today and I am driving down to hunt tomorrow. Where I don’t know yet… but can’t wait to get on the river with a shotgun!!!

Mark

carmorris

Some goose migration over the weekend and a few more divers in the Grey Eagle and Upsala areas. I expect the smaller and shallower sloughs to freeze up this week.

codycroteau
    La Crosse, WI

pretty slow weekend. shot 11 total saturday between 6 guys. saw quite a few. at about 8 we had at least 500 mallards flyin south. none committed to the deks however. nothin sunday although i did hear constant shooting. if you can find the right spot your in luck!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Mallards are around, but they are for the most part in smaller groups, many in little water, VERY EDUCATED in the way of the hunter, and if you shoot em one day they are not likely to be there the next. At least that has ben my experience over the last week.

Didn’t go out on a good diver hunt with my buddies this last Saturday, dumb decision, but on Sunday they had all up and left.

kris_brantner
    My river

there are a ton of mallards around my area. but they are stale birds that have been here for a bit. they all know where to go and where not to go. looks like a decent week for a push. weather on the phone says wed nnw winds at 15-20 so maybe that will help. dem deer looks like your 12 hours of scouting paid off…

codycroteau
    La Crosse, WI

2hrs of drivin and hunting around after school pays off

kris_brantner
    My river

thought you couldnt drive??? i was being sarcastic anyways. 11 ducks for 6 guys dosent seem worth it for 12 hours of scouting

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

I managed to get an invite from an old friend who I had not hunted with in several years, so it was good to get back with him.

They hunted P8 on Sat. getting 14 for three guys. Started trying to get a puddle duck hunt going, but everything they saw were divers, so in the rain they started to look for other setup options. After figuring something out and having lunch during the only time it didn’t rain, they went back out in the rain and with the final wind switch, they ended up on the right side of the equation. Mixed bag including ‘lards, cans, buffleheads, good looks at a group of pintails. A great day of suffering in the rain!!!

I got down 8 p.m., got little food and we were up and after it again at 4. Out and set up ready to go by 6:30 shooting time. Shoot very poorly in our first four opportunities, but then things started to come around. Managed my first, albeit hen, canvasback, missing on opportunities on only a couple of ‘lards and one widgeon. Stuck it out til a little after 12 and called it good. Great fun, good numbers of ducks, people close, but not to close to screw anything up for us, so a pretty good day in all though we were only able to put two cans and 2 buffies in the bag. Always great to get on the river and looking forward to another opportunity or so before the end of the season!!!

Mark

codycroteau
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

thought you couldnt drive???

i cant. i meant driving my boat around through the sloughs. cant wait till i can drive though!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Here’s the thing about the Mississippi – somebody is ALWAYS on ducks somewhere. 10 boats can go out and get skunked, but one boat will be on the X and just whack em. There are times however when just about everyone out there is getting birds.

I would say mid-October was a time when everyone was getting birds, and now is much more sporadic action.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

In South Dakota….pilling up birds….never want to come home.

kris_brantner
    My river

was wondering if you were still alive

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

In South Dakota….pilling up birds….never want to come home.

Then just stay there and I’ll come and visit a couple weeks a year and you can come here and visit a couple of other weeks!!

Glad to hear you guys are having a great trip.

codycroteau
    La Crosse, WI

Just got a report from my dad and from a guy in northern Canada who is my guide when we go ice fishin there. Pauls report(guy from canada): “birds still haven’t made it to my place here in Ontario. I’ve heard many goood reports north of me yet. The weather calls for cold now so a good freeze will help you “gods country” people out. I’ll let you know when I see birds headin south”. Dads report from northern mn: birds everywhere! He and a few buddies went out and shoot all the ducks they want. For those of you who think the migration is peak now, just wait! Those ducks will make their way here anytime now. Plus those birds north of paul have yet to migrate. Let’s hope some weather helps us out so we won’t be seeing the migration from our front door Monday December 6.

neverhome
    Anoka county

Was out pheasant hunting in yellow medicine county today and the birds were on the move. I should have been in a blind somewhere. It was wave after wave all day and they were low. It would have been a great day to be shooting ducks/geese. It was more birds than I have seen in MN in years. Go get em guys! Swans also

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Ice all over and slow reports up and down the river yesterday…..

Oh greenheads, where are you? (<-unfortunately I think I already know the answer….Arkansas anyone?)

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Jake:

I was going to call you on the way home yesterday, but between working and other items, I was unable to… The greenhead report from the north metro gives us hope yet for a last push of late season birds. I have been hearing of good reports of the ‘lards showing up in good numbers here in the northern WI and also hearing of good numbers in the central WI, though that doesn’t help us on the Mighty.

We were on P9 and had a fabulous diver hunt. Considering my one year lab did as well as she did, I am considering another trek for this Sunday again.

I have friends from Trempeauleau who had to put their weekend long Thanksgiving hunt on hold for the funeral of their duck mentor, so reports from them will not be available, though they will be celebrating another type of duck hunt.

I have friends from up here who are planning on making the trek to the River over the next two weeks, so I am hoping that the ice that was very prevalent in the backwaters doesn’t lock everything up to tight overly fast!!!

Optimistically, I think we have some good greenhead hunts in front of us, but the weather may make it a very short window!!!

Mark

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.