2010 Duck & Goose Migration Report

• drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Quote:
    ——————————————————————————–

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hey folks,
    I do not know about you guys, but I have not been too pleased with the quality of the migration reports available on-line.
    We are down to the best (last) 3 weeks of the season.
    Lets try to ride out this season with some open discussion about significant migration evidence.
    I am not asking anyone to divulge their secrets, just discus where the south-bound line appears.
    Here we go:
    French Lake, Hennepipn County; Minor numbers of both divers and mallards, flocks upto 20 ct.
    Clearwater Lake, Wright County; Approximately 2.3 million coot, no flock counts.
    Gull Lake, Crow Wing County; 75-150 Northern mallards comfortably residing at the Hwy.371/Co.Rd.115 boat landing, hunted grassy point on Sunday, 5 Buffleheads, too much fog for flock count.
    Lake Bemidji, Beltrami County; Great numbers of Ringnecks, Bills, Goldies, Buffleheads, Mallards and mergansers, unfortunately this is the refuge, no flocks on neighboring waters.
    Leech Lake, I have not scouted and can not get a report from anyone?
    I will provide more when I have it. Please do not forget to ask the fishing population what they are seeing. Most all fishermen are hitting big water right now!

That preceeding quote was the start of our 2005 forum that exceeded 125 replies (not to mention the hits) with only 3 weeks left in the season!
    I have made mention to several people that that forum did add significant enjoyment to my late season, and likely some additional success as well.
    With early goose upon us and some folks already commenting on local populations, I think it is time again
    Good luck this season to all of you
    No secrets need to be exposed in this forum, refer to the quote from last year to see the explanation that seemed acceptable to everyone.

Here we go guys & gals.
    The 2007 season is under way in some of our bordering states and will fire up this weekend in Minnesota.
    I’m looking forward to another season of sharing my observations and success stories as well as reading yours.
    As we have emphasized before, nobody should/needs to disclose any specific location information. Just share your experiences and help us all work together to track the migration (once it starts)
    Good luck to everybody in their 2007 season!

Chriss, you are just the kind of gentleman (character ) that could provoke a “migration report” post before the season is even open
    Once again I felt the need to copy forward the opening post from previous years, this is so cool
    Chriss did a great job laying some ground rules in another post on the waterfowl forum. If BK, James or one of our other fearless leaders would be so kind as to provide a link into Chriss’ “Were close enough” post that would be great (BK, teach me, please…)
    I’m going to skip the rules in hopes that we all have proper respect for one another and our quary. If you are confused please visit Chriss’ post.
    This is fun, informative and as I have mentioned for the past several years, very beneficial to my overall enjoyment of the waterfowl season.
    Our primary goal is simply to share as much information as we are each comfortable sharing, to provide vicarious enjoyment for those that are not making the hunts and improve the quality of the experience for those that are .
    This post was originally started back in 2005 to track the southern edge of the migration through Minnesota and the upper midwest. Nothing more or less.
    This post has become a sounding board, a bragging board, a photo album and a reference point for many people and I love it
    Please join in and contribute towards your enjoyment of the season, and ours!
    Let the season begin
    Oh yeah, and may a wife be bestowed upon Jake, soon
    Good luck to everyone in ’08!
    cheers

As some of you may know, I have been unable to access the hunting site for some time. Brad was able to shed some light on this demon for me and I’m back in business.
    Here I thought that you guys had locked me out
    I have taken a good share of ribbing for my absense and it has been well deserved.
    I can’t do anything about my schedule, but just like the rest of you, once the season is upon us I’m consumer by it.
    I know that folks have been giving reports via individual posts, but hopefully now everyone will feel inclined to consolidate all of our waterfowl posts here for the season.
    I will report alittle later on my traditional opener this past weekend.
    Let ‘er fly.
    Good luck to everyone this season!
    cheers

Here we go again folks.
    Please have a safe and fun season, and report often.
    Good luck to everyone.
    cheers

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

NICE!

I haven’t pulled the trigger since April……My finger is getting a little itchy!

Took a spin around the swamp Sunday. Nice day. Saw an impressive variety of birds…….some big ducks, several good sized flocks of teal, and of course plenty of woodies. Even saw a couple divers. Lots of water, which is a good thing. I’m predicating an above average opener and a great season!

11 Days!

t-nelson
    Rochester, MN

Early season has been pretty good so far. Managed to kill
    141 geese but only 1 leg band. Last week started to see some new birds showing up . Opener should be good.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Trev……Are you guy’s going to a GTG for IDO again?

t-nelson
    Rochester, MN

Possibly, would have to see if anyone is interested.

lars
    Rochester, MN

Up at LOTW, there were birds moving in and out all season long which made for some good hunting and some tough hunting. We managed 73 birds and 11 bands for our group, down from 158 and 13 a year ago. The high winds and loads of water may make for tougher hunting come duck opener.

There has also been a push of short-necks in the area as well as a few snows.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Possibly, would have to see if anyone is interested.

put it up and see what you get.

carmorris

Things in the Upsala and Grey Eagle are very quiet. Some sporadic shooting over the opener weekend but very limited compared to the past 4 seasons.

You may be better off with a jig and minnow combination right now. It is absolutely beautiful fishing weather.

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Brainerd/Leech area was quiet.
    I shot only 5 birds for the weekend, 4 woodies and 1 teal.
    Check out the MN-DNR CO reports for last weekend, very negative regarding hunter participation and success over the opener.
    I did have to make my first rescue while hunting.
    5 minutes after legal shooting on Saturday, I could hear screams for help. I thought that somebody had been shot for sure.
    Responded ASAP and found a 12′ boat upside-down with the motor prop in the air, and 3 very cold and scared 17 year olds hanging on for dear life. All ended well though.
    I have not heard many real good reports yet.
    Sounds like the Winnie area produced pretty good numbers of divers.
    Good luck
    cheers

cdn
    West Central, MN

West Central, MN Battle Lake area was one of better openers for us. Shot our limits of wood ducks on Saturday, and mallards and wood ducks on Sunday. Geese all came in in big #s at once and landed outside range. No shots on them.

Further western MN some incredible success reports.

Nice save(s) drakesdemise!

FLSmallies

Drake, Glad to see you got this rolling again. Sorry I’ve been absent from the board this year. I’ve been alittle disconnectd living down in FL. Spent some time in Central Nodak in early october. The heat was increadible. We had Highs in the 80’s with lows in the mid 50’s. I was hoping to leave that stuff in FL when I came up. But all in all it was a good hunt. All the birds were locals but we scratched out limits and had some good shoots. Reports from last weekend are much better. The geese and Mallards are moving in and the fields are sarting to fill. If you can get out to Nodak in the next week or so things should look real good when you get there.

Have a great week and let a few get to me.

Chris

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Just got back from a quick trip to central NoDak (Oct. 21-23). Despite lack luster reports, we actually saw more ducks and dark geese than ever before…..Hunted feeds of many MANY thousands…..Unfortunately the 60deg weather, no wind, and big bright full moon had them on a night schedule. The flocks were incredible, but quick.

We had one great hunt, one good LBD hunt, and one medium numbers hunt but an experience I’ll never forget (10,000+ bird duck tornado right overhead at shooting time).

Just a few scattered flocks of snows were around, mostly mixed with Canada’s. Should see them start pushing in hard by the end of the week.

Bonus $100 reward band on a little Canada……Bought us 4x king cut prime rib dinner Saturday night!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Great stuff Jake, I miss living in SD.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Big wind next couple of days, but kinda the wrong direction. Think it brings in much new, or just stirs up the locals?

codycroteau
    La Crosse, WI

With this wind and the storm fronts out west, there should be some new ducks arriving, especially with this westerly wind. Those big snow storms in ND are defineatly gonna bring new birds around

whiskeyandwater
    ????

man if it brought new birds around we haven’t seen them. buddies and I were able to two two evening hunts the last two nights and had a total of 4 birds to show for it. of course we saw a greater number of birds Wed. evening than we did Thursday, but they wanted nothing to do with any ones spread.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Only significant movement I can say we saw was that it moved the woodies out. But I haven’t spent a lot of time out looking around. We did see a flock of snows fly down the river yesterday!

I suppose divers moved in big time, if you’re in to that sort of thing

cdn
    West Central, MN

Quote:

I suppose divers moved in big time, if you’re in to that sort of thing

Yes, they did! It is my kinda thing. Nothing is better than shooting bluebills in a strong NW wind, but in today’s case…calmer southerly winds.

Bluebills, ringbills, buffleheads, redheads, lawn darts, canvasbacks and some goldeneyes…all seen today. Several large flocks of mallards too that didn’t want to cooperate.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

What’s a lawn dart?

predator_2

I think that might be a merganser?

cdn
    West Central, MN

I guess I let my local talk spill into my post.. …”lawn dart” is merganser, specifically hooded merganser.

A friend and I shot almost all divers over the weekend. Big, fat, plump ones; especially the redheads. The only exception, a ruddy duck, and a coot that got mixed up when taking out a cripple. Hundreds of coots in our decoys as a big flock of bluebills come in makes for interesting times…

kris_brantner
    My river

defnitally some new birds in my area. not many but a few. friday and sat i hunted by myself. shot 6 gadwalls and sat had 3 gads and a black duck. sunday it was me and one other guy and we had 5 mallards a woodie a green winger and a hoodie. still lackluster for me this year… im usually on my 3rd or 4th cases of shells. i got about a case and a half burnt up so far

kris_brantner
    My river

me and the gf went after work this morning. only stayed till 830 cuz i had to get home and get to bed. still birds working when we left we ended up with 6 gads and 3 greenheads. seen quite a few more birds than last week. maybe with the wind blowing a few have trickeled down on it

carmorris

Update: Grey Eagle and Upsala areas are void of waterfowl.

690reece
    Hutchinson,Minnesota

Kris,

What part of the state are you hunting? I am around Hutchinson and we are not seeing the birds like you.
    Thanks,

Cory

kris_brantner
    My river

i hunt on the mississippi river. ton of birds around if you find the right places. refuges are packed as well

690reece
    Hutchinson,Minnesota

Thanks Kris!

Good Luck this weekend!

kris_brantner
    My river

shot my 4 mallards monday morning and 4 mallards and 2 gads tuesday morning. would have gotten out again this week but ive been sick with something. hacking my lungs out 102 fever no energy…. i think ill get out again tomarrow. found some mallards in some flooded timber im going to give a try

codycroteau
    La Crosse, WI

Anyone been hunting brownsville area? Last weekend was lights out and we shot 4 limits. today went out scoutin and shot 2. they musta left but hopefully this cold nasty weather gets em movin here soon. anyone else headed out this weekend round brownsvile? or anywhere else?

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Just curious based on the other post.

How did you get to Brownsville if you are wondering how to get to Goose Island???

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.