"unofficial" 2015 IDO Green Bay ice GTG

• phoyem
    Minneapolis

I’ve always wanted to try whitefish out of green bay! Count me in!

I’ll be leaving from the twin cities (Stillwater) so could help with rides as well.

I can bring: -My fishing rods / extra rods, food / grill for the ice, my 4 wheel drive jeep. Most likely will staying at a friends house in Sturgeon Bay.

I don’t have: Auger, portable, 4 wheeler or sled to get out there. If needed I could possibly try to borrow these items from friends.

Pete Hoyem

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

Outdoor Bound with Kurt Walbeck is on FSN right now, and they are fishing in Sturgeon Bay for Walleye and Whitefish.
    Looks like a lot of fun.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

It is fun rat…ask James wink

Thing are shaping nicely…. grin

As far as travel on the ice goes..I’m sure nobody will go without a ride….if the ice is good,the bay is tricky that way,driving is not out of the question….it all depends on Mother nature…

Starting 1-2-2015 I’ll really start working at it smile

tenchi

A few of us are planning to fish white fish around that time. It will be our first time there tho. Haven’t fish white fish but we fish for tulibee from bsl to winni…and leech..hope the bite isnt too far out..got every thing except wheelers or sled…to get out…welling to pay for a ride to get out there from the bank..

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

FYI. For guys that haven’t been to a get together yet. Your in for a good time. These gtg’s generally bring out a LOT of great and generous people. I wouldn’t be concerned about not having a ATV or any particular equipment. The guys that come out that have these items are very willing to help and share. Consider bringing food to share and kick in a little for gas and everyone will have a good time. Wish I could make it, I have a trade show to attend.

castle-rock-clown

Randy, you better get your priorities straight, or we will be attending something called the Randy Weiland memorial get together. devil

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Randy, you better get your priorities straight, or we will be attending something called the Randy Weiland memorial get together. devil

Clown, my priorities include keeping a roof over my families head and food on the table, as well as, a place to store all my toys. Unless your looking to have another family to support santa santa santa santa

castle-rock-clown

the roof could be a nice otter shelter and the food could be the fish that you catch through the hole. there’s lots of room for toys out on frozen lakes.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Well guys(and gals)with the recent announcement of a official GTG up at LOW I just wanted to see if we should postpone or reschedule a Green Bay trip this year….
    Being it’s so close to the 28th and money-wise it might be tough for some people to do both,I could see why some would not want to do GB…
    While I am still more than willing to meet up and do some White fishing,I can understand why some would want to skip this for LOW….
    If anyone still wants to do this just let me know and we will go from there….
    Heck…I’m trying to see if I can swing LOW myself…but I’m willing to try both…If I can…
    Either way…let me know…

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Holmen, WI

I am still in for Green Bay. LOW is great, but out of my budget.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

I really WANT to do this, but can’t officially COMMIT to this quite yet.
    If I made it, I’d be trying to thumb a ride out but willing to pay my share in gas, food, whatever-this sounds like a blast.
    Keep us posted.

phoyem
    Minneapolis

I’m still a go for GB

mower
    Wisconsin, Outagamie

The wife and I are still a go. LOTW is a little out of budget for us. (??????) No way out(truck) onto the ice, but can help with food or ???????????

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Holmen, WI

Ok guys and gals. I plan on making some phone calls about lodging on Monday. Is anybody interested in getting a block of hotel rooms, or fend for ourselves?

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

Just to tease you a little…my buddy just dropped off a half-dozen nice size whitefish. They’re soaking in brine getting ready to go on the smoker tomorrow.

86smoker
    St. Paul

IM interested still have some hoops to jump through at work yay

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Well everything still looks like a go grin

I will be there.

Great to hear Doug applause I’ll be sending you a PM about where you think we should go etc. It’s nice to have a local guy to get such info from.

Ok guys and gals. I plan on making some phone calls about lodging on Monday. Is anybody interested in getting a block of hotel rooms, or fend for ourselves?

Thanks Mike….I have been doing a little looking around also…I’ll send you a PM with some names…but it looks like there are a few that seem reasonable enough,some are even pet friendly for ducksmuggler wink
    In the next few weeks we should have everything pretty much in place for a great GTG yay

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

PMs sent……

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

A couple of us will likely drive up for a day on the ice from Fort Atkinson in a Focus so unless there’s no snow or plowed paths we’ll be hoofing it too. I’ve never caught a whitefish but seem to recall they have a tiny mouth. I’m guessing 3-4 lb. test line with a tungsten jig and waxies. Am I close? I haven’t started my research on bay techniques yet.

Excellent local gill bite here before the cold moved in. One of those days the timing was great like that last IDO episode and this time it happened on a weekend!

castle-rock-clown

#3 Rapala jigging Shad rap in black and gold, 8 lb flouro carbon gets to the bottom fast. You may be fishing in 50+ feet of water and action can become fast and furious.

Also, I will” have a tracked ATV with a 4 foot by 8 foot platform sled for gear. I can also pop some holes if needed.

Captainpaddlefoot
    Green Bay

Hey everybody,

I will be posting information on access and fishing tips and expectations in the near future.

One heads up, we will most likely fishing whitefish deep and there is a lot of current.

I rig with 4-8 pound braid and 4-8 pound fluorocarbon.

I make a rod that I would rate ML-extra fast, 28-30 inches.

You will want to try the whitefish rig, will explain later.

You can find many versions on line.

Jigging shad raps, size 3 & 5, Mossy Tiger,gold and black, remove treble.

There will be bait shops with customer painted colors for the area.

More info to come.

If you are looking for guide try JJ’s Guide Service and Late Eyes Guide Service.

Not knocking anyone but, I know them both, both good guys.

More info to come.

See ya on the water (ice), Doug

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Why would someone hire a guide when it’s a GTG with local IDO support?
    I am considering this trip as well.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.