Training dog for the boat

• dirtywater

Adopted a new dog yesterday. She is a total mutt with shepherd, retriever, and about 5 other breeds including chihuahua which is freaking hilarious to me. She is 1 year old, about 30 lbs, and just about the calmest dog I’ve ever met. Have always got my dogs from rescues and it can be a real crapshoot. This one we hit the jackpot with.

Anyway I’m looking forward to getting her out on the boat with me this summer. Any tips or resources on how to train them in this, or does general obedience training translate pretty well? She is a smart dog so I feel she is capable of learning for sure. I just have never done this so looking for advice from folks who have.

I suppose step 1 is taking her down to the water to see how she likes it, whether she jumps in and swims well etc.

Do folks actually use those canine PFD’s? I fish the river a lot, and with the current it might be good to be cautious there?

Timmy

IMO – just take her and see. It may take more than one trip for her to settle in and be chill, but just have patience. Keep anything with hooks put away, and set the expectations low…lol

As far as doggy pfds, i have never personally seen a dog that couldn’t swim. If she jumps or falls in, she will learn.

Karry Kyllo

I’m with Timmy. Just take her in the boat and she’ll learn. I’ve had I don’t know how many dogs that I’ve had in the boat fishing over the years. In my experience there isn’t any training involved getting them used to boating and without exception, they have all loved going fishing in the boat. As far as PFDs for dogs, I’ve bought them over the years but my dogs hate wearing them so I don’t even use them anymore.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Any tips or resources on how to train them in this, or does general obedience training translate pretty well?

Train her for the boat same as any other training. ie; sit means sit; no means no; good dog means good dog.

Potty training is also important and one must take measures to allow your dog the opportunity to take care of this at regular intervals, especially when it is hot and he/she has water on board to keep hydrated.

Personally when I send my dog to the boat (tied to the dock) she goes to the boat, gets in, and stays there until told otherwise. Same when getting back to the dock, she does not exit the boat until told to.

It is nice to have a specific throw rug that is “her spot”. Doesn’t mean she always has to be there, but there are times when it is convenient to tell her to “get on your rug”.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I take my dog with regularly when the weather permits. Being a lab she over heats easy so I leave her at home when the bright sun is out.

One thing you’ll want to do is make sure there are no hooks or lures sitting out. If the dog steps on one, you have a problem on your hands. And being that the dog is new to a boat, that could happen. Keep your boat organized and put hooks/lures away until the dog becomes used to being in the boat.

As for the dog PFD, I have one. Only used it the first couple times in case she decided to go for a swim, which never happened.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0621.jpg

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Take it easy the first few trips till she gets used to it,no wake jumping.I suggest those lure wraps for crankbaits.

slough

I don’t have much advice different than what has been said, but most dogs seem to do fine. Would also be careful about hot days.

My first lab was a very chill dog but was always on point in the boat. Wanted to be right there looking over the gunnel at your lure/rod tip if you were jigging or landing a fish and fell in many times. How he never got a hook in the face is beyond me. Current lab isn’t as chill but is more aloof in the boat and doesn’t pay a lot of attention to the fishing.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

gimruis they have saved me and my dogs lots of headaches and lost religeon.

dirtywater

Thanks everyone. I’m kind of a neat freak so tend to keep the boat really uncluttered with no hooks or lures laying around. But I can only imagine the FW if the pup takes a treble to the paw, yikes.

Looking forward to having a fishing partner. First couple times out I won’t plan to do much fishing, will just try to get her used to the boat and the routine.

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

I just had our 5 month old lab fishing last week for the first time. As with our other dogs and what was mentioned about hooks we keep them high and out of reach. To keep the dogs more in tuned they get to lick and smell every fish that comes in, the live well sometimes acts like a babysitter at times also if they seem bored. I hate to leave em at the dock, they enjoy being on the water.

Musky Ed

We’ve had our Brittany for 12 years and almost always have a doggie vest on. She’ll jump in at fish you are landing, seagulls, ducks, or whatever if excited. We also had a winter house on the intercoastal by Padre Island and while we took her in the bay boat, we also would take her out on our sit on top fishing kayaks.
    Anyway, the real advantage to the vest is its handle. Makes it so easy to get a dog back in the boat. Also, no loose hooks or lures out.
    Walleye fishing, she will be patient and let us net the fish, but salmon fishing we have a short leash connected to her near the windshield as sometimes a salmon can thrash around with a lure for a bit before you get it out.
    If your floor is hard, we have a rubber nonslip mat for her to lay on. Also if it’s hot, be sure to have a midsized towel that you can get wet and lay over her to cool her off.
    If it’s hot, we will take the vast off when trolling.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I have a year and change English setter. About 46 pounds now. As soon as I could the boat in two springs ago, she came with. The first few trips were nuts with excitement. Now she comes with each time as long as it’s not too hot. She puts on the miles pacing back and forth but eventually falls asleep unless the fish are really biting.

She finally fell in for the first time this spring on the rainy river and recently jumped out after a goose when it flew out of the cattails feet in front of her. Dogs can swim. I just grabbed her collar and pulled her in, no big deal for a light dog.

I recommend putting the dog in the boat a bit while it’s on the trailer at your house. Do it a few times. Let her scope things out. She’ll catch on really quickly and after you let her out of the truck at the access she’ll run right to the boat and get in. Don’t overthink things and keep the sharp stuff put away.

Mike m

I’ve always had dogs in the boat . Don’t specifically train them , but watch them closely at first to see if they’re “ jumpers “ . They always settle in and become great boat mates. If you musky fish , be careful on the back cast. I fish the river mostly, take them to shore and let them have fun frequently. Expect some sand to clean up , but those dogs are happy !

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4683-scaled.jpeg

Netguy
    Minnetonka

My lab got used to it pretty quickly. Putting the dog in the boat on the trailer is a good idea. When on the water the first time let them get used to it when it’s floating or idling slow before speeding it up. I have my dog sitting by me when up on plane. When at minimum wake or fishing he has the run of the boat. When coming off of plane to minimum wake, he’ll turn and look at me waiting to be released from the sit. He goes in the boat first while at the dock and get’s out of the boat after I tie it up and get out of the boat. He drinks out of the bait well. I may rig up something for a shady spot so he can come out when it’s hot.
    Good luck!!

Ripjiggen

I have created shade for dog and kids by using beach towels tied up or laying over from seat to dash.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I have created shade for dog and kids by using beach towels tied up or laying over from seat to dash.

I have a tiller but can use a seat pedestal to MacGyver a low-rider umbrella.

jwellsy

When I was a kid, my dad snagged our pup in the nose on a back cast when the dog tried to catch it mid air. It was a horrible thing. He still wanted to go after that. But, it certainly cured him of playing that game.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

As my lab, like most is obsessed with retrieving I spent some time in the yard with him casting and swinging lures around him. Also spent a little time in the boat in the yard just so he got used to it before heading out.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

Got my homie Willy out in the boat right away last fall. He loved it! I took him out for the first time this spring crappie fishing and didn’t make it 5 minutes and had to yank a hook out of his lip though. He jumped up at a hook when I was doing something and got it. He learned his lesson though that it hurt and he stays clear of them now.

Otherwise he has been good. Just start with short trips and work up to longer ones. I keep a small rubber foldable dog dish and always have water for him.

In another week the true test will begin. He will be pre fishing and actually in the boat for the AIM tournament on Mille Lacs since his normal watcher is busy and I have no choice. But he’s been out for some longer trips and done just fine.

Just be patient, keep it calm and pay attention to what the dog is telling you as well. Whether its heat, or being thirsty, or even just weird quirks you may catch on to.

My dog will freak out if you don’t let him just lick a fish a couple of times before you throw it back. It’s like he gets upset lol. So, we have a rule, 2 licks and back in the water the fish goes.

Oh side note! if your dog is a freak about bobbers cause you throw one out to fish, I learned to give mine an old junk bobber to play with and it distracts him.

Attachments:
    1. WillyBoat2-scaled.jpg

2. WillyBoat1-scaled.jpg

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.