Any Chain Updates?

• tim hurley
    Participant

Might go for cats next week-Is parking still a problem out there? How has the bite been? Thanks

Charlie W
    Participant
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Was out a week ago. Caught a handful at dusk. Not crazy good. Bite seemed better 2-3 weeks ago. This was on horseshoe.

tim hurley
    Participant

Thanks Charlie, did you drive out?

Charlie W
    Participant

I did. It’s very bumpy from the slush freezing but plenty of ice for me.

canoebasser
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

I would like to make one more outing this weekend. Channel cats are continuous all year on Horseshoe correct?

Charlie W
    Participant

Correct. Open all year.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

I took a cruise around the horseshoe chain this afternoon. at that point not many out. there was a truck out on the ice on browns lake, anyone else that was out was by foot or wheeler.

there was a lot of water on top of the ice. put one would think its still good at this point if its not seeping in.

where the river narrows on 22 and the one past the community park was open. there was open water in the channel between horseshoe and long also!!!!

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

from what I’ve heard horseshoe ice is toast. report has it you can now go from the hwy 22 access out to the meth hole with a boat.

tim hurley
    Participant

Can you make it to Koetter?

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

That I doubt. I’m gonna go look see for myself tomorrow.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

took my drive. I fully expected to see the ice piled up on shore from the meth hole area but wasn’t. the river system from what I could see is all open with the expecption of the cty rd 49 bridge, behind the blue heron. seen ice out to the west of that. I seen 2 people out on Schneider lake and 1 out on cedar island and he walked. the ice is melting away from the shorelines.

the channel from horseshoe to long lake is also wide open.the ice is staring to look pretty dark.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Nice report

thanks…….I also want to be clear that I don’t believe access to the rest of the chain will be for awhile yet!!!!!!!

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

horseshoe is toast for ice fishing.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

MODIS satellite run yesterday showed the lake mostly dark all over, the river channel is likely wide open all the way to Cold Spring, I would guess if we get any wind this week the ice will be toast by the weekend….

tim hurley
    Participant

Any new updates? Would like to get cats and bass-Are cats shallow in these temps?
    Can you see them break in the evening? Can you catch them all night?, might be fishing with my friend the vampire next week.
    Thanks

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Helllloooo!?

best I can tell you is it’s still filled with water!! devil rotflol
    .sorry

tim hurley
    Participant

That’s a start-do you see people out there?
    Thanks

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Yea there bouncing all over.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

So I got bored this afternoon and took a gander around the chain today. For every boat that was fishing 10 where recreating.

tim hurley
    Participant

Not sure if that’s good news or bad, thanks for checking though.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Not sure if that’s good news or bad, thanks for checking though.

keep in mind it was a saturday afternoon. there was still plenty of water to fish. from what i know of the chain, which really isnt alot, most the places people that where fishing, the recreational people seemed to stay clear of.

there where alot of pontoons parked out of the beaten path and swimming and such.

tim hurley
    Participant

Lakes have been busy, way more pontoons out too. Thanks Glen, do you think i could catch kitties in the shallows right now?

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

You have no chance of not catching them shallow.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

article in todays st cloud times they are looking at changing the sunfish limits from the current 20 to 10 effective march 1. they listed 9 different lakes but it essentially makes up the lakes of the horseshoe chain

there wasnt any issues with panfish success with the chain until a couple years after the DNR introduced the catfish to that system????????????

CBMN
    Participant
    North Metro

Let’s just add musky on top of that…

I agree with your point Glenn as I grew up there and have never been a fan of the DNR experiments.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Let’s just add musky on top of that…

I agree with your point Glenn as I grew up there and have never been a fan of the DNR experiments.

I grew up there as well. Matter of fact just across the railroad tracks going into Richmond from the intersection of hwy 22 and 23. Just up from the old river roost. waytogo

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 133 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.