Best Western $70/night Pets accepted
    AmericInn $80/night Pets accepted, but must call for availability
    Holiday Music Motel $49/night Pets accepted
    Beach Harbor Resort $49 No pets
    Snug Harbor Inn $69 No pets
    Super 8 $51/night No pets
    Comfort Inn $65 No pets

If we book 15 rooms with AmericInn we could get a discount- $67.91 + tax

There are several other places, but these are reasonable with some being pet friendly.

castle-rock-clown

Did you also by chance inquire whether any of these places offer a hot oil massage? There is no happier way to end a day of hard fishing on the ice. woot woot

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Holmen, WI

No, but there are several that have whirlpool tubs!!! That is the one requirement that my wife insists on peace yay yay

castle-rock-clown

A wife you say, dang I haven’t been able to afford one those for almost 10 years now. But boy the memories of the last one, man those were good times.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

A wife you say, dang I haven’t been able to afford one those for almost 10 years now. But boy the memories of the last one, man those were good times.

Clown you just crack me up!! rotflol rotflol rotflol

castle-rock-clown

A wise man once told me “if you truly love your wife, video tape as much as possible, especially what goes on in the bedroom, that way if for whatever reason you ever part ways you’ll always have something to remember her by”. Like I said, she left 10 years ago, and this guy told me this 9 years ago…go figure.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Why would someone hire a guide when it’s a GTG with local IDO support?
    I am considering this trip as well.

Well bud..they also have heated shack rentals (6 guys or so each)already set up on good spots…. grin
    That might be an option we could look at also…
    I’m going to call Paul Delany and see what he says…

Thanks for the info Doug waytogo
    This is a work in progress so your local input is very welcome..

Thanks also to Mike…makes the hotel situation clearer…most places that we can fish are under an hour from Sturgeon Bay….

The good lord willing we will have good weather and good fishing….

castle-rock-clown

We will also need someone to put on a seminar on how to properly clean these fish. I’ve seen a few you tube videos, but there is nothing like a little expert guidance on how to properly handle and filet. I hear there are those that smoke them also, don’t know, but is that a different cleaning process ?

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

We will also need someone to put on a seminar on how to properly clean these fish. I’ve seen a few you tube videos, but there is nothing like a little expert guidance on how to properly handle and filet. I hear there are those that smoke them also, don’t know, but is that a different cleaning process ?

While I am no expert by any means….I have kept a tullibee once or twice….but that’s it..

Cleaning for smoking is pretty simple if you don’t want the head on..gut it….leave the scales etc on,maybe cut into 4″ chunks, and you’re done…

When filleting them, the biggest PIA is they have pin bones like a salmon..you have to cut them out…but I don’t think thats a big issue…

What I have heard is that you have to be a little careful handling them once they are caught….something about you don’t want to freeze and thaw more than you have to…ideally just once….

FWIW

Paul Delaney

The Bay of Green Bay is one of the best fisheries in the mid west for many species including walleye,smallmouth bass, muskies,northern pike salmon and whitefish. During the winter months ice fishing the Bay can be incredible for huge numbers of whitefish which are a blast to catch and very good eating. The Bay of Green Bay is also the home for trophy size walleyes with a great shot at a 10lb plus fish. While the whitefish provide great fishing through out the day the walleye tend to be more low light feeders but it is not a numbers bite we do not get a lot of bites each outing but the one or so bites you do get can be that fish of a lifetime. As a Door County Resident and full time fishing guide along with being an IDO pro staff member I spend countless hours on the ice each season chasing whitefish and walleyes for my customers and have developed some proven jigging techniques for these fish along with many great locations. This sound like an interesting trip you may be planning and I would love to provide you guys with some info on our fishery and also would be more than happy to accomadate you guys on the ice. I can work with some other guides in our area to help accomadate a larger group of fisherman while you guys are in Door County and provide info on lodging,tackle shops along with restaurants. Please contact me if you would be intersted. Thank You.

Paul Delaney
    http://WWW.lateeyessportfishing.com
    (920) 421-0896

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Thanks Paul waytogo
    This adds big time to the possibilities of a great GTG…

A Door Co trip can be one those “never forget” fishing experiences…….

I’ll be calling soon….Jeff

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Just to make another point….
    With a larger group….it would be very affordable for those (like me) who would otherwise not be able to do this on their own…
    wave

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

I hear there are those that smoke them also, don’t know, but is that a different cleaning process ?

to smoke ’em, I cut the heads off, cut the bellies open and clean the cavities thoroughly (many keep the livers as they’re some sort of delicacy), cut the tails off if necessary to fit in the smoker, brine ’em and smoke ’em. I just did a fresh batch Saturday and yum.

mower
    Wisconsin, Outagamie

Just to make another point….
    With a larger group….it would be very affordable for those (like me) who would otherwise not be able to do this on their own…
    wave

This maybe a great idea. Depends on the $$$$$$$

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I’m going to call Paul later today to find out exactly what would be possible and what the rates would be, but just using his standard rates,8 people could rent a heated shack, on a known fish spot,with drilled holes,and transport out and back for $20 apiece….10 even less..
    Since the bay ice,and fishing, can be tricky at times having a pro’s help might be worth it in the long run.
    I’ll know more later and we will go from there… wave

castle-rock-clown

20 bucks! I kind of all ready exceeded the yearly ice fishing budget replacing my old plastic pail that I’ve used for 10 years. These extravagant and grandiose luxuries I can’t comprehend, $20.00 for a heated shack provided a guild…well I’ve never!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Seems to me it would be in a pro guide’s best interest to help this group. Think of the free press on our return???? This isnt a group of guys shooting the breeze in a bar.
    THIS IS IDO!!!! This region’s hottest and busiest fishing website. waytogo

castle-rock-clown

THIS IS IDO!!!! This region’s hottest and busiest fishing website. waytogo [/quote]

No truer words have ever been spoken, just ask anybody on here.

mower
    Wisconsin, Outagamie

Would we even need equipment? or does he supply everything? Drive my car over and save that much money on gas.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Would we even need equipment? or does he supply everything? Drive my car over and save that much money on gas.

Short answer bud…Yes..unless you do a fully guided trip you need your own stuff grin

I talked to Paul today and the shacks,while a possibly do-able, might be a bit more complicated for too large a group…We would have to see..

Another option is a non guided trip..Paul will transport the group,using our our own equipment,safely, out to spots that have been producing fish….and,though I don’t know exactly how much,I would be willing to bet that it would be cheaper than trying on our own…
    I bet we could even talk him into giving a few tips… roll He also has a resort and a motel that he works with for those who need lodging…we might get a special rate…
    Another detail is he fishes mostly north of Sturgeon Bay about 17 miles in the Egg Harbor area..bigger average fish and less pressure….

Everything really depends on how many people will commit to whatever…

I’m going to start another post as a sign-up post to see who wants to do what….
    wave Jeff

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

In my mind this is a serious enough trip that everybody going would provide their own gear. The point of a GTG is to fish/hang out with other IDO guys and get good local intel (fishing spots) from some of the local IDO guys that fish it a lot and know what’s going on. I know of one other IDO person interested along with myself but neither of us can commit this early so I wont hit the sign up post yet.
    I hope I end up going though.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Remember Mike… Paul is an IDO pro staff member….
    so everything you mentioned is still valid using your description….
    I really hope you can make it…I’ve always wanted to meet you…for reasons I can’t mention here grin

Viewing 23 posts - 61 through 83 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.