Ukraine

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Ukraine wasn’t being pressured. They were pressuring NATO. So if Mexico decides to form an alliance with Russia there would be a justification us to invade them and take over control of their country? We didn’t invade Cuba.

I did not say anything about justification to invade. But if you want to say the US would not have a problem or fear if Mexico and Canada were to form a alliance with Russia or any other country without a Alliance to the US then I think you are kidding yourself.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>
    I’m not defending Russia in anyway here, but I kind of get why Russia did what they did. The Ukraine was getting a lot of pressure to join NATO ( Yes I know the Difference between NATO and the UN ) Having a NATO country right next door along one of your borders would be scary to them. Think of it as how the US would feel if Canada and Mexico were not Allies of the US. I don’t think we would like it much either.

Ukraine wasn’t being pressured. They were pressuring NATO. So if Mexico decides to form an alliance with Russia there would be a justification us to invade them and take over control of their country? We didn’t invade Cuba. </s

But we did sponsor the invasion of Cuba, see “Bay of Pigs”.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I fail to see the perceived “threat” that NATO is to Russia. NATO has no record of invading a nation unprovoked. NATO had not accepted Ukraine in the past. NATO did nothing to consistently help Ukraine when Putin illegally annexed Crimea. Now suddenly NATO is going to do something to Russia?

I think Russia’s economy is and was in shambles. Russian Nationalism is not what it once was. Russia’s population growth is relatively flat. Their infrastructure is dated. Russian leadership is not forward thinking and has not come up with a sustainable means of government that keeps them as a world power further into this century.

This was nothing more than an attempt to grab the low hanging fruit that is resource rich Ukraine while attempting to revive the sense of Nationalism that Putin lives for. He is a propaganda guru that has tried to muddy the waters of a relatively straightforward rationale for the Ukraine invasion. The timing seemed logical with the United States as a NATO leader having never been more divided at home, Biden is not going to portray strength, and the leverage Russia has during a period of global inflation will never be higher. Even with all the homemade motives and strategic timing for the invasion, it’s proving to be a costly failure.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

But we did sponsor the invasion of Cuba, see “Bay of Pigs”.

We’ve directly invaded a lot of countries since then. Never for the purpose of taking land and expanding borders. The end goal for Russia was to reclaim some of their soviet territories. If we needed Cuba we would’ve taken it directly but it would’ve risked nuclear war.

Russia isn’t just funding the invasion of Ukraine. It’s not the same thing.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Afghanistan nearly did the Soviet Union in. 10 years of war it almost bankrupt the country. The same is going to be said in history about the US involvement in Afghanistan.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I think Russia’s economy is and was in shambles. Russian Nationalism is not what it once was. Russia’s population growth is relatively flat. Their infrastructure is dated. Russian leadership is not forward thinking and has not come up with a sustainable means of government that keeps them as a world power further into this century.

Unfortunately you could replace Russia with U.S. in this statement and it would be fairly accurate.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I did not say anything about justification to invade. But if you want to say the US would not have a problem or fear if Mexico and Canada were to form a alliance with Russia or any other country without a Alliance to the US then I think you are kidding yourself.

In 2022, you think the US would resort to invading Canada or Mexico and taking over their government if they allied with Russia? Sleepy Joe Biden? Leading an invasion? Jokes aside, there’s no chance our intelligence would even let it get that far.

Unless maybe our intelligence gets severely compromised somehow.

I get the analogy but the dynamics between Russia and Ukraine aren’t even close to that of any of our neighbors. The point being that the US has a far different foreign policy dynamic that lead us to where we are and where we’ll go from here and that there really isn’t any scenario where a close neighbor would end up in that position so that’s what shapes how we handle foreign policy on the other side of the world.

I also think Russia under different leadership wouldn’t be in this position at all. Better leadership would’ve understood just how weak their military was in the first place.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Afghanistan nearly did the Soviet Union in. 10 years of war it almost bankrupt the country. The same is going to be said in history about the US involvement in Afghanistan.

Except it boosted our economy instead. That was he whole point.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Unfortunately you could replace Russia with U.S. in this statement and it would be fairly accurate.

Ummm, ya I don’t think so. Your math is a little off.

The United States, by contrast, has a nominal GDP of $20.89 trillion—roughly 14 times the size of Russia’s economy. And nominal GDP per capita is $63,413. Even three U.S. states have larger GDPs than Russia: California ($3.1 trillion), Texas ($1.78 trillion) and New York ($1.7 trillion).

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

When I first read this was was in disagreement. After reading it a few times I realized you are spot on.

CaptainMusky

The US infrastructure is indeed in a bad state of affairs. Look what happened with that storm in Texas a few years ago and what happens in California all the time. Then Biden wants this push for electric vehicles taxing an aging and overwhelmed infrastructure even more. Makes a ton of sense Brandon.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The US infrastructure is indeed in a bad state of affairs. Look what happened with that storm in Texas a few years ago and what happens in California all the time. Then Biden wants this push for electric vehicles taxing an aging and overwhelmed infrastructure even more. Makes a ton of sense Brandon.

Maybe congress should introduce some kind of infrastructure bill or something.

CaptainMusky

Maybe congress should introduce some kind of infrastructure bill or something.

By the time one would get passed it will already be dated. Its not like this issue just suddenly popped up. California has been having problems for decades. Its like road construction on 94, but the time they add the 3rd lane a 5th will be needed.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

The United States is not perfect.

Russia is a turd in comparison though. Russia has countless human rights issues, a dictator of a leader, an economy that is exponentially smaller in GDP, a population growth rate of -0.4%, and a military that cannot handle Ukraine. If you think our infrastructure is old and dated (yes some of it definitely is) you should see Russia.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pat K wrote:</div>

Ummm, ya I don’t think so. Your math is a little off.

The United States, by contrast, has a nominal GDP of $20.89 trillion—roughly 14 times the size of Russia’s economy. And nominal GDP per capita is $63,413. Even three U.S. states have larger GDPs than Russia: California ($3.1 trillion), Texas ($1.78 trillion) and New York ($1.7 trillion).

Great stats!

The US has plenty of room for improvement…but Russia in shambles. This Ukraine invasion is Putin grasping for a shred of hope to keep Russia relevant into the future.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Always remember who writes the propaganda you read and who it’s written for.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’m sure we will sort it all out on IDO. All I know is Putin should have watched Seinfeld so’s as he knew what he was getting into!

duh queen

Stalin rolled Ukraine, killed 5 million of its citizens, stole the food they grew and replaced those murdered with Russians. I can understand why they’re fighting back to the death against Putin’s invasion. I hear rumors that Putin is dying from cancer. Does this make him even more dangerous? After all, If he thinks he’s got nothing to lose, what’s to prevent him from pushing the nuclear button? That said, do we appease a madman just because he’s crazy and got nukes? Kim (the) Dumb Un (one), is nutz and has nukes, and he’s still throwing tantrums.
    The world is a very dangerous place. So why worry about what you can’t change?
    JUST GO FISHING!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Stalin rolled Ukraine, killed 5 million of its citizens, stole the food they grew and replaced those murdered with Russians. I can understand why they’re fighting back to the death against Putin’s invasion. I hear rumors that Putin is dying from cancer. Does this make him even more dangerous? After all, If he thinks he’s got nothing to lose, what’s to prevent him from pushing the nuclear button? That said, do we appease a madman just because he’s crazy and got nukes? Kim (the) Dumb Un (one), is nutz and has nukes, and he’s still throwing tantrums.
    The world is a very dangerous place. So why worry about what you can’t change?
    JUST GO FISHING!

Good plan

Riverrat

MnPat1 The war with Ukraine started in 1991 when Russia failed to uphold its agreements through the Soviet Union. When Ukraine declared independence, Putin and other Russian leaders had an excuse for all future wars with neighbors, claiming that the territory was theirs. Not sure if your a very bad propagandist, or just fall easily for very bad propaganda. And before they traded oil in dollars they did it in gold. They stopped doing that because the US stopped using the gold standard. But the US still uses the dollar for valuation of oil and so does the rest of the world.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

The U.S. is not the dumpster fire that Russia is right now but we have similar problems. A stagnant economy, aging infrastructure and our leaders in both parties are in their 70’s or 80’s with no vision for the future. And human rights are defined by the powers that be in any nation.

The United States is not perfect.

Russia is a turd in comparison though. Russia has countless human rights issues, a dictator of a leader, an economy that is exponentially smaller in GDP, a population growth rate of -0.4%, and a military that cannot handle Ukraine. If you think our infrastructure is old and dated (yes some of it definitely is) you should see Russia.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Europe and the US wants to keep the war in Ukraine. Going beyond Ukrainian borders would be a mess like we haven’t seen except for on the History Channel. That’s my 2 cents. It’s better economically to keep the war where it’s at than let it spread.

robby
    Quad Cities

According to a story on 60 minutes tonight the United States has spent $38 BILLION propping up the war in Ukraine. $13 billion in economic aid and another $38 billion in military aid. What was never mentioned is are these loans or gifts?

Are there strings attached? How long do we supply them? Is it the responsibility of the United States to finance these wars? I understand being part of NATO, but is NATO footing any of the bills?

Just a couple of questions while waiting for the SNF game to start.
    [/quot

Even if we call these loans, they are gifts. Just as they always have been. Look at how much money we “loaned” China post WW II and then formally forgave. Now we owe them a lot of money, heck they basically own us. And are a potential formidable enemy. But do they forgive our debt……….? Heck no they do not.

robby
    Quad Cities

The Health System I work for just donated a well used Ambulance to the Ukraine. Huge feel good deal. Along with a whole bunch of serviceable but not todays standard cardiac monitors/defibrillators/pacers….actually maybe the best field cardiac monitor ever made…. My thought though has been all or our old ambulances and much our our equipment that has been upgraded, or simply our equipment that needlessly expires, could have been sent to Africa, Southern Mexico, Central America, etc for a long time. Whatever. And for those that picked up on it, you would not believe what has an expiration date on it. I understand our meds, and other things. But a hard plastic oral airway expires in 2 years, and these are sealed in plastic. And yes, to pass State Inspections these are discarded. Used/donated for training, but they only need so many for this. Many are just thrown in the trash. Now think about the supplies an entire health system throws away. This is part of why health care cost so much in America. A Racket for sure. Going on for years.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Biggest transfer of wealth happening under our noses. Pharmaceuticals are being jumbo sized… still pushing the vaccines. Politicians lining their pockets… Nobody cares how the covid originated or if it could happen again with deadlier consequences ? The US nuke official is dressing like a woman and stealing women’s clothes in airports… we are trading WNBA players for mass murderers and leaving our soldiers in foreign prisons. We doubled down on legislation, making it more legal for same sex marriage..? and opened the door for people to marry their pets or other farm animals yesterday …? Yes, we are definitely heading for better days ! doah crazy

Umy
    South Metro

What about the “invasion” at our Southern border?!
    In 7 days it’s gonna blow wide open.
    That first terrorist attack is right around the corner I am afraid – I PRAY every nite I’m wrong but that’s as much madness as Putins’s folly!!!

munchy
    NULL

Biggest transfer of wealth happening under our noses. Pharmaceuticals are being jumbo sized… still pushing the vaccines. Politicians lining their pockets… Nobody cares how the covid originated or if it could happen again with deadlier consequences ? The US nuke official is dressing like a woman and stealing women’s clothes in airports… we are trading WNBA players for mass murderers and leaving our soldiers in foreign prisons. We doubled down on legislation, making it more legal for same sex marriage..? and opened the door for people to marry their pets or other farm animals yesterday …? Yes, we are definitely heading for better days !

That’s called Build Back Better!!

Mike

The Texas grid is privatized – and controlled by republicans.

Biggest transfer of wealth happening under our noses. Pharmaceuticals are being jumbo sized… still pushing the vaccines. Politicians lining their pockets… Nobody cares how the covid originated or if it could happen again with deadlier consequences ? The US nuke official is dressing like a woman and stealing women’s clothes in airports… we are trading WNBA players for mass murderers and leaving our soldiers in foreign prisons. We doubled down on legislation, making it more legal for same sex marriage..? and opened the door for people to marry their pets or other farm animals yesterday …? Yes, we are definitely heading for better days !

Maybe slap on a few more layers of tinfoil. And take a break from the propaganda every once in a while..

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Speaking of propaganda remember the Ghost of Kiev, Spider Island and a few other stories out of Ukraine early on? The same people who passed those off as true are who you are still getting info from, not sure how anyone can sort out what’s really going on.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The Texas grid is privatized

I saw a thing about this on 60 minutes a while ago. It was a segment called “the grid” and how the American electrical grid is the largest man-made piece of infrastructure on the planet. It also talked about how its divided into three sectors: California, Texas, and everyone else.

The final piece of it talked about the two types of attacks its prone to: cyber and physical. There was recently a physical attack on a substation in North Carolina that knocked out power to 40,000 people for several days.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 213 total)

The topic ‘Ukraine’ is closed to new replies.