Stamped Concrete Patio – Looking for contractor in NW metro

• 311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Looking to get some bids on a stamped concrete patio and wondering if anyone here has any recommendations on someone they have used.

Looking to tear out a 300 sq ft concrete patio and replace with 550 sq ft stamped/stained concrete. Got one estimate over the phone of $10k for standard concrete and $20k for stamped/stained which seemed excessive. This was a site unseen high level estimate after he asked my budget.

I was guessing the $5-10k range for a stamped concrete patio.

Matthew Sandys

Jason Kasper
    Solid construction and decorative concrete llc
    612-221-0944
    That is his specialty area.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Looking to get some bids on a stamped concrete patio and wondering if anyone here has any recommendations on someone they have used.

Looking to tear out a 300 sq ft concrete patio and replace with 550 sq ft stamped/stained concrete. Got one estimate over the phone of $10k for standard concrete and $20k for stamped/stained which seemed excessive. This was a site unseen high level estimate after he asked my budget.

We poured a concrete 10’ apron with rebar around a 40’ wide 3 car garage plus a front sidewalk. We paid $5.80 a foot last month. Whoever quoted you that could be charged with attempted robbery.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>311hemi wrote:</div>

We poured a concrete 10’ apron with rebar around a 40’ wide 3 car garage plus a front sidewalk. We paid $5.80 a foot last month. Whoever quoted you that could be charged with attempted robbery.

This was stamped concrete bucky ? Stamped will be double a regular broomed finished slab.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I haven’t seen $5.80 sq ft in years. $8 + is what I’m seeing.
    Tear out, grading, fill is extra.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I haven’t seen $5.80 sq ft in years. $8 + is what I’m seeing.
    Tear out, grading, fill is extra.

Yup this is much closer to what a contractor is looking at. Plus some for stamped.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m not lying in that I paid $5.80 last month for regular concrete from a qualified contractor whose company has been in the business for over 40 years. Living in a rural area definitely helps. I’m glad we aren’t forced to pay urban/suburban prices for everything.

As far as his absurd estimate, he referenced a quote of $10k for 550sq ft of regular concrete. That’s robbery at over $18 a foot for regular concrete + a small tear out job. With anything – you have to be careful as many people in today’s market throw out absurd bids when they don’t need the work. We had a gravel driveway quote from one place at ~30k for digging down 6′, building the ditches, laying culverts, etc. The same exact plan and quantity of materials was asked of a business 20 miles away and came in at ~17k.

Another red flag is when a contractor is willing to throw out a price over the phone without ever looking at the site specifically, taking their own measurements, and so on. The most qualified people I’ve worked with won’t even give a ballpark estimate without seeing where they are at in-person.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

We paid 11k last year for about 450 sp ft last year with a contractor out of Hastings. Work was decent, but it took a long time to get a bid and start the work. Our steps were 1/3 the cost of the quote.

I can get the name, but I think you will
    find better options closer to home

Attachments:
    1. 90EE12DC-B289-477F-A732-0CA325B4DAD9-scaled.jpeg

2. A42A7BC5-3638-4160-A769-2434E80A962D-scaled.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Bucky I didn’t mean it that you were lying at all. But stamped and regular finish concrete are not even in the same ball park.

As for giving a “rough ” estimate over the phone. That is a daily thing we do with pictures and maps of the area.
    As for a quick easy removal, still costs money. Nothings free. The dirt driveway has nothing to do with this equation. As for concrete guys, most are swamped right now and will only give high bids to make the job well worth the time.
    I get so many people who want a 8k job and think they will pay 2500. Or wait till September and want it done in 2 weeks. The only way to squeeze that in is paying guys that are already swamped to help..

Coletrain27

As for concrete guys, most are swamped right now and will only give high bids to make the job well worth the time.
    I get so many people who want a 8k job and think they will pay 2500

this goes for alot of work now days. everybody is so busy that they will bid everything high and if they get the job great but if they dont get it they dont care with all the work out there

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    As for concrete guys, most are swamped right now and will only give high bids to make the job well worth the time.
    I get so many people who want a 8k job and think they will pay 2500

this goes for alot of work now days. everybody is so busy that they will bid everything high and if they get the job great but if they dont get it they dont care with all the work out there

I agree, but it’s slowing.
    My Lumber guy says it’s the 1st time in many months that they are fully stocked with no items on B.O. and I am now seeing better Candidates applying for open positions.
    I heard the Feds will hike rates another Pt soon. Can hardly wait, I need more guys.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I agree, but it’s slowing.
    My Lumber guy says it’s the 1st time in many months that they are fully stocked with no items on B.O. and I am now seeing better Candidates applying for open positions.
    I heard the Feds will hike rates another Pt soon. Can hardly wait, I need more guys.

I would like a new deck and patio. But I am waiting for things to cool off and get better pricing.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Question to 311. Have you priced pavers? With the prices for stamped concrete, it may be worthwhile to get bids on pavers. The look is better IMO and the added benefit is in this climate, cracks in a concrete patio are 199% certain and it’s only a matter of time. Pavers give the joints so no cracking and if eventually, they have issues with dips or sags they can be reset at a modest cost.

Mrs. Grouse has a paver patio that we expanded last year. The original part of the patio was still in good shape 15 years after it was installed, but there were some low spots that had formed next to the foundation because the house was extended here so the backfill settled. Fixing and expanding was just a matter of picking up the old and relaying the whole patio plus 50% more. No way to do that with concrete, it all would have had to be busted up.

Worth thinking about anyway

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I have a back yard patio that the previous owners did with pavers and it needs to be redone. I was thinking of doing the pavers again, is there anything besides tamping the ground really good, to keep them from settling?

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Question to 311. Have you priced pavers? With the prices for stamped concrete, it may be worthwhile to get bids on pavers. The look is better IMO and the added benefit is in this climate, cracks in a concrete patio are 199% certain and it’s only a matter of time. Pavers give the joints so no cracking and if eventually, they have issues with dips or sags they can be reset at a modest cost.

I have installed two paver patios myself on previous houses and considered it, but my time is more valuable to me these days and I don’t know that I can find to get it done in a reasonable amount of time (5 kids now). Might end up going that route in the end of I can’t find someone to come out and give a bid. Unfortunately I don’t have easy access to a 3/4 truck anymore to go rent a skid steer otherwise I would take care of demo and most of the dirt work which would help.

Tried one of the contacts above and they are based out Minneapolis and Anoka/Dayton is outside of there service area. Waiting on a call back from two others.

Tear out is actually 260 sq ft and new patio officially would be 500 sq ft. No fill is needed but may need to lower the elevation a bit based on future plans (dirt can stay on site). That is where I am looking for someone to come out to look at the work.

I don’t have a problem paying the right price for good work. Just not looking to get gouged and if it has to wait until next year so be it. Even without considering tear (lets say $1k) out $35/ft for a 550 sq ft stamped concrete patio seems excessive.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have a back yard patio that the previous owners did with pavers and it needs to be redone. I was thinking of doing the pavers again, is there anything besides tamping the ground really good, to keep them from settling?

Yes, more sand. And then down the road it’ll wash out and do it again. When I was in high school I worked for Beaver landscaping and we did lots of pavers. Happy to never do them again. They look good unless the ground moves. Which all ground moves. That’s why concrete has control joints. To control the cracks

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If you’re looking into pavers, be sure that Gator Base is used. It cuts on labor/time and creates a better outcome.

Some of the prices being thrown out are still absurdly high. There’s 0% chance I’d do a stamped patio at the costs shared here. I still can’t get over the quote of 550 sq. ft of NOT stamped concrete for $10k. That is $18 a foot. Tearing out 300 sq feet would be a small pain, but not a $5k+ job.

To repeat myself, be extremely careful in taking bids over the phone or without someone being there in-person. Sure it’s feasible and many legitimate fair businesses do it as Bearcat mentioned…but the odds of getting a fair, accurate price are going to go up substantially meeting someone face to face at the site.

Coletrain27

If you’re looking into pavers, be sure that Gator Base is used. It cuts on labor/time and creates a better outcome.

lol take that fancy gator base and throw it right in the trash. there is no substitute for rock and sand

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Rasmussen wrote:</div>

Yes, more sand. And then down the road it’ll wash out and do it again. When I was in high school I worked for Beaver landscaping and we did lots of pavers. Happy to never do them again. They look good unless the ground moves. Which all ground moves. That’s why concrete has control joints. To control the cracks

Spot on on the redoing them regularly. The upfront costs are cheaper but the time until they shift can be very short. If you know your soil composition it’s easier to make an informed decision on pavers as well.

If you have quite a bit of clay that is susceptible to heave or let frost out at different times, you’re probably not going to be happy in a couple of years. If you have almost exclusively sand, pavers are more likely to stay put. If I had a condominium in AZ and was looking for a patio I’d be all over pavers. If I want a decorative sidewalk in MN on a clay-based soil, it’s somewhat of a crapshoot knowing that the freeze and thaw cycles will eventually mess up even the best of contractors’ work.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

lol take that fancy gator base and throw it right in the trash. there is no substitute for rock and sand

We’re on year 6 at my parents with 3″ of compacted gravel, gator base, a little sand, and not a paver out of place. Maybe it’s just a coincidence that it’s held up – but so far I wouldn’t change how we did it.

stout93
    Becker MN

another vote for pavers. I know it’s not the exact same as the stamped concrete, but we had a 10 x 12 paver patio put in a few years back for $900. He said he could have poured concrete for $950. Dirty, cracked concrete…no thanks.

But my Gawd…$10k-$20k for concrete or stamped concrete now (albeit a bigger space) is insane. You’ll never recoup anywhere near that cost on resale…in my opinion.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

They put in several control cuts about 5-6′ apart than he claimed will float and not crack. We didn’t want to a low deck that would need to get rebuilt and have critters/weeds under, so we are hoping this is maintenance free for many years. Fingers crossed! I think the patio was roughly 20×22 for 8k and the steps were 3k (I don’t think he wanted to do the steps). Two dye colors used, no tear out, but leveling, gravel fill, rebar. sealant, blah blah.

We liked the look of stamped concrete over pavers. Design was more flexible w/out cutting odd shapes and we have two tone w/ a curved boarder around the outside.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

just wrote out a check for these… front patio was 29×16 and back patio was 44×20. Cost was just under 15k or $11 a square.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20220909_181006617-scaled.jpg

2. PXL_20220909_181101460-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Luttes both those slabs are awesome looking.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Luttes both those slabs are awesome looking.

Thanks man! it turned out really well, a few residual issues, like bubbling in the sealer but the contractor said he’d make it right so we’re looking forward to many years of hanging out on them!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Looks awesome! At $11 a foot for that, can everyone finally agree that the original poster’s $18 a foot for unstamped and $36 for stamped was absurd?!?

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Looks awesome! At $11 a foot for that, can everyone finally agree that the original poster’s $18 a foot for unstamped and $36 for stamped was absurd?!?

jester Nope jester

MX1825

Lutes those look fantastic!!!

I Don’t know the cost of stamped concrete but,
    I had 1700 Sq ft poured last spring for 5.75 a Sq. It was 4 slabs and 2 sidewalks poured over 3 days.
    Rebar 2×2, 5 inch thick, and 4500 lb psi concrete. Very little prep needed and gravel was there. I lined it up in January to get it done as early as possible in the spring

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.