Ukraine

• rsee
    Participant

Grew up in Iowa and live here again after I retired from the military.

If you’re driving around with your arm hanging out the window at -10F, you must be an implant @Iowaboy.

My dad walked to school up hill both ways in a t-shirt and holey jeans with no shoes or only bread sacks over your feet at -10F. If you haven’t, you ain’t an Iowan.

Truth be told, I used to love to hear of my dad tell me stories of his childhood. I remember my grandma having newspaper on the walls of her house as wallpaper.

I love to hear my mom tell me stories of my grandpa giving her, my aunts and uncle, and other country kids a ride to school on the horse drawn hay wagon with hay bales piled up around them to protect them a little bit from the Iowa winter snow out in the country on the country roads, all the while being given a horse drawn ride to school in a one room country school house with a wood burning stove. She is 86 years old and ocassionally walks 16 blocks round trip to go to the local Casey’s convenience store. She doesn’t complain. She just does.

We’re not satisfied enough to control America. We have to control everyone else. There is no live and let live. This goes for Russia and any other government that wants to have control. But, IMO, we cannot control Russia, North Korea, or Iran if they have nukes and have a ruler willing to use the nukes. Long range nukes are an equalizer.

We haven’t been in a war to win it since WWII, and we haven’t won a war since WWII. I may be incorrect, but I believe it was Gen Patton that said something to the effect of you win a war by killing more than we have being killed. Sorry, not looking it up. Don’t believe we have won anything since trying to win the “hearts and minds campaign.”

U.S. motto used to be: “Superiority through superior fire power.” Maybe it still is. It used to be that way until other countries gained nuclear weapons. You cannot bully someone who will not be bullied. Putin may just be that person who cannot be bullied. Ex-KGB agent. Are we ready to go nuclear? He may be.

Brittney Griner broke the laws of another country, like it or not. If you are not educated enough to understand that, so be it. Then you must be okay with a federal or national police force and doing away with local law enforcement forces whether it is police, sheriff, or state patrol/police. You may want to educate yourself on countries that have such national or federal police forces and the affects they have on the country.

I lived in the Philippines for three years. They had and may still have a national police force. Pretty corrupt from what I remember. We were there from 1986 to 1989. Wife was stopped by them while driving with a friend, and the officers were easy to pay off (bribe) for a “traffic violation” because they were under paid and very easily assassinated. It was not uncommon to hear of a local police chief and/or their family to be assassinated while eating supper.

I guess you would be okay with paying off police officers on a traffic stop instead of traffic violations being controlled at the state level. Can you think of the money the officer could generate conducting traffic stops? I guess you would also be okay with the local police force entering your house without a search warrant to ensure you are generally following all local ordinances and laws.

As far as marijuana use goes, it is a drug. Period. As a drug, like all drugs, it affects everyone differently. It affects the body and judgement. Learn about drugs and their affects on the body, especially when it comes to judgement and driving. Not much different than using drugs, including alcohol, judgement, and raising children. I don’t want people on the road under the influence of marijuana or another drug. Accidents with drivers under the influence of marijuana or another drug across the country are up. Habitual users have the drug in their system longer than no-habitual users.

And just in case you want to judge me, I was adopted at birth. My birth father was killed by a drunk driver back in the 1960s before I had the opportunity to meet him.

I was in a strip bar by the age of 10 with my adopted dad. I wouldn’t trade him for anyone. With over ten bars in my little town growing up, I had three of the telephone numbers of the bars memorized so I could “find my dad and get him home for supper” when my mom told me to find him. My dad bowled, and the bowling team used to travel with a keg of beer in the back of the van going down the road. Yes, they drank the beer going down the road. GASP!!!! Be careful of what you ask for.

Brittney Griner broke the laws of Russia. Don’t want to be in that position, don’t do stupid stuff that puts you in that position. Especially in another country. If you think her sentence didn’t go with the crime, look at countries that execute people for possession of marijuana or other drugs. I would say she is fortunate that she was not in a country that executes people for drug possession.

Should we be spending what we are spending on Ukraine? I believe Biden is proposing or is asking for 8 billion dollars to be sen to Africa to prevent them from using coal. Eight billion dollars is a made up number to me that has little to no meaning. I can’t keep up and in the words of my wife, “I don’t watch the news. It is depressing.”

We’ll be up at Wheeler’s the second week of January. @Dutchboy, pm me since you aren’t so far away. Maybe we can get together for supper at Ballards after a day on the ice. The older I get, the less I like to argue. Take’s too much time. I can’t imagine being 80 years old and wanting to argue with anyone. I’d rather do something else.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

So to you, in the world of foreign policy, you consider the length of the prison sentence to determine the value of a prisoner? Or how naughty they were? I get that you believe that he should serve his entire sentence in jail, but what good does another 10 years do for us? More time to think about what he did wrong so when he gets out he won’t do naughty things anymore?

It’s unlikely that Russia will be able to use him in any meaningful way. The empire he created is gone. His companies either dissolved or moved on without him. Putin was probably interested in him because he knew the outrage it would spark on the right.

Political prisoner wasn’t the correct term. A political pawn is what I meant.

Bout is small fish anyway. The Mango Mussolini tried desperately for years to send $350B in arms to Saudi Arabia which congress vehemently opposed.

WHAT ?

This mind set is ridiculous, you think putin was focused on pissed on the right wing side with this trade. That wnba dude was a terrible trade considering who else we still have locked up over there , that we obviously could care less about. And yes bout should have been locked up his entire sentence for the crimes he committed.
    You mentioned what mango tried to do but what about what bout did. You are very ass backwards on your thought process. You focus to much on the political sides against each other, rather then the reality of what happened. What did any one gain with getting some wnba dude out? I bet I know.
    Other then that we might as well let a bunch of prisoners free with your thought process, because people know there names and they did the time out long enough. I just don’t understand any point of that trade when we have other prisoners over there, that actually stood up for America and served to protect our land. But this dude looking chick was a easy and great media piece

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I tell you one thing, if Griner disrespects our flag or our national anthem or our country again on a public stage, there might be a lot of back lash. Maybe we should send her back if she does that nonsense again. Be grateful you are back on American soil from here on out, and show it.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

So to you, in the world of foreign policy, you consider the length of the prison sentence to determine the value of a prisoner? Or how naughty they were? I get that you believe that he should serve his entire sentence in jail, but what good does another 10 years do for us? More time to think about what he did wrong so when he gets out he won’t do naughty things anymore?

It’s unlikely that Russia will be able to use him in any meaningful way.

You hope Putin can’t use him in any meaningful way, but have no idea (recurring theme there…). I also don’t think someone with Bout’s history really has the possibility of reform into a choir boy, he will resume his life as a gangster. Maybe starting from scratch, maybe further along with the help of the worlds biggest gangster, Putin. And maybe running guns to our enemies in Yemen, Somalia or Biden’s Proxy War on Putin’s invasion of Ukraine. 10 more years would make Bout 65 years old, less likely to be empowered by Putin and 10 more years of lost connections. And foreign policy wise it reinforces the narrative of Biden as weak, and Putin as strong when you trade an arms dealer for someone imprisoned on pot possession charges.

reverend
    Participant
    Rhinelander, WI

Still at it eh gents?

Serious question wouldn’t it be easier for the 6 or 7 of you to just exchange phone numbers or twitter handles and talk politics via text instead of starting a new thread every week with a different name to talk about the same things over and over and over.

Yes I know Dutch I can keep scrolling.
    Just thought it may be easier for y’all..

I’m with ya Rip. I don’t understand their particular dedication to this brand of crazy, but I have to grudgingly admire their dedication to it. I too, aspire to one day have the time to dedicate towards pontificating on my overly simplistic world views.

tswoboda
    Participant

I also don’t think someone with Bout’s history really has the possibility of reform into a choir boy

IDK I heard this guys been out knocking on doors in my neighborhood

Attachments:
    1. bout.jpg

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    I also don’t think someone with Bout’s history really has the possibility of reform into a choir boy

IDK I heard this guys been out knocking on doors in my neighborhood

Oh that’s what he looks like? I just bought an extended warranty from that guy, seemed decent enough…. rotflol rotflol rotflol

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

I take it you got yourself an early christmas present in the form of those sweet new trump cards, eh?

Typical liberal lame defense… change the subject to Trump. jester Go get an ice cream, like your leader, you won’t have to worry about hah brain freeze. rotflol jester

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

fishthumper, I will add to your question with this, do you know what and where Seward’s folly is??
    Its the closest point between Russia and Alaska, about ninety miles and it has been known in our history to freeze solid enough to drive heavy equipment over.
    Russia doesnt need anyone, they will simply drive over ice to invade us in a land we bought from them for 3 cents an acre!!!
    It will be called the battle of Hamongog.

I am aware of Sewards Folly. The US purchased Alaska from Russia in 1867 for 7.2 Million $’s. So you are correct in that Russia could reach US soil rather quickly. But to push Tanks across all of Alaska and then all they way through our Ally Canada to reach the Next US soil would take a real long time and lots of opportunity for a US / Canada Military defense to form and act. That is one of the US’s greatest defense. Surrounded basically on Three sides by large sea’s and a strong Ally along our largest border. That is probably the main reason no foreign wars have ever been fought on our soil, and likely never will. This all the while the US has fought many wars or conflicts on lots of foreign land.

Don Meier
    Participant
    Butternut Wisconsin

LOL Trump’s big announcement today ! His action figures go on sale for 99.00 a pop ! LOL

who cares? It’s like the chia pets of presidents, nobody cares about them either.[/quote] Well trump cares ! He has to replenish his war chest to make his run for president in 2024. At 99 bucks a pop his supporters will gladly give him that. trump knows the easy marks . LOL

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Well trump cares ! He has to replenish his war chest to make his run for president in 2024. At 99 bucks a pop his supporters will gladly give him that. trump knows the easy marks . LOL
    [/quote]

It’s hard to believe that’s all you still brew on Don. Let it go he isn’t the president any more.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Yeah, put all your eggs in this guys basket… rotflol

Attachments:
    1. yup.jpg

Don Meier
    Participant
    Butternut Wisconsin

I tell you one thing, if Griner disrespects our flag or our national anthem or our country again on a public stage, there might be a lot of back lash. Maybe we should send her back if she does that nonsense again. Be grateful you are back on American soil from here on out, and show it.

Are you talking about the 2 time GOLD Medal Olympic champion ? Wow ,you assume the worst about her ?

walleyevision
    Participant

Holy crap, this thread is hard to read. Can we leave politics off this forum and just discuss the outdoors?

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Are you talking about the 2 time GOLD Medal Olympic champion ? Wow ,you assume the worst about her ?
    [/quote]

She does it to her self when she bashes the very country that had her back. Not much assumption going on just facts

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

It’s hard to believe that’s all you still brew on Don. Let it go he isn’t the president any more.

I heard he is running in 2024. Given how weak Biden is, how old he is and how poorly he has been as president, he should be a shoo-in. No one that old should be allowed to run for president anyway.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

I heard he is running in 2024. Given how weak Biden is, how old he is and how poorly he has been as president, he should be a shoo-in. No one that old should be allowed to run for president anyway.

It would be a mistake for Republicans to put trump back in that spot but that’s my opinion. But that’s not what this topic is about. Even though I’m sure your trying to troll up another argument

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

She does it to her self when she bashes the very country that had her back.

That’s what I’m referring to.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Yeah the one that didn’t want the National Anthem played before any sporting events, and if it was she waited in the locker room. Real patriot.

Totally agree no one that old (Trump or Biden) should be President. I sure hope Trump doesn’t run again also. Nor Biden, but TBD on how bad Biden’s dementia is by then…

buschman
    Participant
    Pool 2

With a nuclear war on deck right now I am sure this is the last thing anyone cares about. Or should care about. If anyone is wasting their time listening to nightly news about a guy that was POTUS two years ago… I feel sorry for ya.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

It would be a mistake for Republicans to put trump back in that spot but that’s my opinion. But that’s not what this topic is about. Even though I’m sure your trying to troll up another argument

I really hope he isnt the candidate for the GOP. I liked his foreign policy and I dont give a F about what you think about me, but his tirades wore on me big time. He put the US first, which was very important to me. I genuinely hope Desantis runs and I think he would beat Trump convincingly. The Republicans in Congress dont even want Trump to run. Trump has been bashing Desantis every chance he gets saying he’s ungrateful or whatever for getting Trumps endorsement which he claims got him elected in Florida which is doubtful. Time to move on. Biden is a complete and utter disaster the Democrats dont even want him to run again.

Justin Donson
    Participant

Yeah, put all your eggs in this guys basket… rotflol

LOL, the funniest thing about Trump supporters is that they believe that liberals/progressives actually like Joe Biden. You can literally say whatever you want about Joe Biden, Pelosi, just about any democrat and I’ll be like, ‘that’s cool, I don’t really like them at all.’

Because you know, it’s totally okay, and healthy, to expect more out of your candidate/politicians.

On the flip side, TRUMP was and is still, the entire world view and personality for a large group of misinformed right-wingers. And you’re all completely incapable of accepting that he’s ever made a mistake. You all take everything so personal :).

Joe Biden is a turd, maybe one of the biggest turds we’ve ever had as president, but he still beat Trump in the election. Hahahahaha. it’s still hilarious. Post as many memes about Joe Biden as you want, I will laugh at them with you.

But I will laugh harder when Trump’s big announcement is a set of NFT trading cards lol. And then I will laugh even more when anyone spends their hard earned money to continue to line the pockets of the most high profile grifter this country has ever seen.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

On the flip side, TRUMP was and is still, the entire world view and personality for a large group of misinformed right-wingers. And you’re all completely incapable of accepting that he’s ever made a mistake. You all take everything so personal :).

Maybe the Republican’s I know are the minority, but almost unanimously they felt the same way about Trump as you feel about Biden. They also wished he wasn’t on Twitter or as bombastic as he is. They liked most of his policies, but wished he’d stfu. I feel like both sides now think of the other as either QAnon idiot righties or woke gender confused lefties, when in reality like 80% of America is pretty close to center but the parties have been hijacked by the extremes.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

She does it to her self when she bashes the very country that had her back. Not much assumption going on just facts
    [/quote]

The one and only….

Attachments:
    1. Griner-2008.jpg

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Dude chick / or lady dude is how I refer to that

buschman
    Participant
    Pool 2

The only dude in the WMBA that can dunk a ball by the way.

Mike
    Participant

Britney Griner is not a man, or transgender. But good job on trotting out the trans/homophobia.

‘Bashing’ this country is protected under the first amendment. Suggesting someone face consequences for it is about as anti-American as it gets.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Britney Griner is not a man, or transgender. But good job on trotting out the trans/homophobia.

‘Bashing’ this country is protected under the first amendment. Suggesting someone face consequences for it is about as anti-American as it gets.

I never said she was Trans. I also have a American right not to like some one and feel my own feelings about them and say my thoughts out loud. Works in both ways. If I don’t like some gay dude because the way they trash on this country that is my right. Nor did I say she needed to face consequences for Bashing the us. Good try Mikey

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Bashing’ this country is protected under the first amendment. Suggesting someone face consequences for it is about as anti-American as it gets.

I do agree that people have their right to the first ammendment. I do not think this person has that right anymore though. The very country that made a terrible trade for her just saved her ass from rotting in a Russian prison. Its not about her right anymore Mike, its about showing some appreciation.

joe-winter
    Participant
    St. Peter, MN

Everyone on IDO identifies as non-trans/homophobic so therefore Mike’s accusation cannot possibly be true.

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 213 total)

The topic ‘Ukraine’ is closed to new replies.