Chatterbaits for Large Pike and Muskies

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

For those that fish Large pike or muskies, Have you had much luck with the larger size Chatterbaits? I think these would be deadly on Pike and Muskies when in shallow heavy weed cover. For those who have used them, what brands are you using. I found a site on line named Fishermen of Men Musky Blades. It looks like they make several different style of chatterbaits and well as some nice looking inline spinner baits as some rather reasonable prices. I may have to order a few baits to check them out. The make a Bucktail that looks a lot like the Mepps Musky killer but cost about $6 less a lure. The also make a 007 double Bucktail that is real reasonable priced at 10.00 each.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Some of these companies that make bass sized chatterbaits could make magnum sized version for muskies and probably sell them rather quickly. I feel like they’re missing out on a demographic of sales here by not doing it.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Some of these companies that make bass sized chatterbaits could make magnum sized version for <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>muskies and probably sell them rather quickly. I feel like they’re missing out on a demographic of sales here by not doing it.

Ya not many of the main Bass size chatterbaits companies making a Larger Musky size one. But doing some research I’m finding a fair amount of other companies who are doing so. Here are just a Few of them: Musky Candies Customs, Livingston lures, TNA Tackle, Lippy Baits, Musky Innovations ( Tried this one. Didn’t like at all )

Riverrat

I’ve got a blue one and a white one from Z-man of the biggest sizes I could find. I got them specifically for catching pike in shallow ponds/bays. When the bass wont stop hitting it I just add bigger and bigger trailers.

uninc4709

Look for TNA Angry Dragon’s, musky/large pike specific chatter baits.

Jimmy Jones

I don’t like the pricing on the chatter baits, so I make my own and do well with them. I add a twelve-inch, 30 pound, titanium wire leader to them too. Permanent like. The leader does little to affect the action. I like long, narrow, fluke-like trailers too as they have little bearing on the actin or noise too.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I don’t like the pricing on the chatter baits, so I make my own and do well with them.

Can you post a photo of yours?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I ordered a few of the ones from Fishermen of men musky blades. I also ordered a few of their 007 Shad series bucktails and some Hair bucktails. In total I got 9 lures for 108.00 shipped to my door. I thought that was a good deal. I’ll let you know what I think of them once I receive them and get a chance to try them out

Jimmy Jones

Here ya go.
    This one is 1/4 ounce cast on a #4/0 hook. If you look very close you can see the wire running away from the jig near the top of the blade.

White has been our best color and 1/4 and 3/8 have been our best weights.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1681-scaled.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Thanks. So you toss a 1/4 ounce chattberbait on a muskie rod/reel? How?

FinnyDinDin

Thanks. So you toss a 1/4 ounce chattberbait on a muskie rod/reel? How?

You just cast it. My primary set up is a 9 foot extra heavy rod with a tranx 500 and I fish just about every bait in the box with it. There would no issue throwing a 1/4 oz chatter bait with that set up. The weight rating on a rod doesn’t mean a whole lot when it comes to musky baits. I think a lot of fisherman get too hung up on that.

I will use a shorter bait casting rod or a spinning rod for some twitch and glide baits but that is for working the bait not for casting.

Jimmy Jones

I don’t fish muskies but I do use chatters for large pike that happen to hang out in a couple bass areas. If we are not fishing where large pike are known to hang out I seldom use chatter baits.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

Here ya go.
    This one is 1/4 ounce cast on a #4/0 hook. If you look very close you can see the wire running away from the jig near the top of the blade.

White has been our best color and 1/4 and 3/8 have been our best weights.

That’s a nice setup for when there are lots of pike in the area. It can be a costly day throwing chatterbaits when those small pike are really active.

Jimmy Jones

In this picture you can see the same leader only used with weighted hook and a swim bai. The plastic is 4.25” in length. Notice the middle hook and the longer extension from the keeper bend to the eye of the hook. Also notice that the eye of the hook AND the crimp-on are buried in the nose of the plastic. These can be cast into the worst mess imaginable and don’t come back full of junk. This set-up is our go to and the plastic seen here is one of our better colors.Not the best, but one of them.

For comparison on that extended length, the bottom hook is a #3 Gammi. Much shorter.

We pre-rig the weighted hooks so there’s no farting around in the boat should one happen to break. Pike to 44” have been caught on the wires with no issues. I’m of the opinion that if there are bass to catch, pike are not far away. And dogfish. So we pretty much fish the wire.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1682-scaled.jpeg

Dan Baker

Based on how many pike bite my bass chatterbaits, I bet it would work great. But they’re pretty spendy to throw for pike without using a wire leader.

TuffyGuy

I picked up a couple large chatterbaits a few years ago. I believe they are called angry dragons? They look really good, but have only connected on some pike with them, no musky.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I guess I was more looking for a “muskie or large pike sized chatter bait” since that was the title of this thread. Not a bass sized one that just happens to catch a sizable pike in the area by accident.

Slight confusion. No chance I am throwing a 1/4 ounce lure on my muskie tackle. Thanks for the info though, I like the chatter bait shown, just not as a specific muskie sized lure on my muskie setups.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

In this picture you can see the same leader only used with weighted hook and a swim bai. The plastic is 4.25” in length. Notice the middle hook and the longer extension from the keeper bend to the eye of the hook. Also notice that the eye of the hook AND the crimp-on are buried in the nose of the plastic. These can be cast into the worst mess imaginable and don’t come back full of junk. This set-up is our go to and the plastic seen here is one of our better colors.Not the best, but one of them.

For comparison on that extended length, the bottom hook is a #3 Gammi. Much shorter.

We pre-rig the weighted hooks so there’s no farting around in the boat should one happen to break. Pike to 44” have been caught on the wires with no issues. I’m of the opinion that if there are bass to catch, pike are not far away. And dogfish. So we pretty much fish the wire.

Jimmy – How long of leaders do you normally run on these setups? do you have a Swivel on the other leader end, of just a loop? What Lb. and brand leader material are you using?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The fishermen of men musky blades has 3 sizes:

6.5″ 1.6O Oz.
    7″ 2.5 Oz.
    7.5″ 3.0 Oz.

The largest size also adds a spinner blade

Jimmy Jones

Jimmy – How long of leaders do you normally run on these setups? do you have a Swivel on the other leader end, of just a loop? What Lb. and brand leader material are you using?

12″-14″. 30 pound Not Too Kinky, titanium. Barlowstackle.com. Yes, a small barrel swivel on the line end of the leaders.

robby
    Quad Cities

Chatterbait type baits were originally made under the Hart name and were larger sizes if I am not mistaken. This was several years ago. They were marketed as Musky baits. I have caught both Pike and Musky on them by mistake.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.