Transom screw hole repair

• Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Picked up a new to me alumacraft competitor. I need some help or Ideas or just encouragement on how to fix the screw holes in the transom after I remove the old transducer. How would you guys tackle this? Just want to be sure its 100% water tight. Theres two for the transducer mount and two more for cable hold downs.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_8283-scaled.jpeg

TH

Fill any holes with 3M 5200. It’s permanent.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I was thinking the same thing. That stuff is great and they even have black.

isu22andy

I’d put a transducer board over it . Probably have to cut the board to fit . 5200 the holes and around the board .

dirtywater

Extra piece of mind— first drill out the existing hole one size larger and blow out with compressed air to start with a nice fresh clean hole before filling.

Congrats on the new boat!

pass0047
    Pool4

2nd the transducer board so u don’t have to put in more holes in the future.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Flex Seal clear tape is all you need.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240423_205414_Google.jpg

MX1825

I would make a vertical transducer board that would cover the 3 lowest holes. 5200 in all holes and the whole outside border of the board and mount the board with screws above the water line. 5200 around the board mounting screws also.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’d put a transducer board over it . Probably have to cut the board to fit . 5200 the holes and around the board .

This is your best bet. It’s what I’ve done on my boat.

Stanley

Why do you want to remove the transducers? New electronics? My last boat had the transducers installed like yours from the dealer and while I didn’t care for it they never leaked. When I got my new boat(competitor as well) I made sure they put a board on the back to mount the transducers to. Mine has a spray guard over the ducer as well which really helps.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3584-scaled.jpeg

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Why do you want to remove the transducers? New electronics? My last boat had the transducers installed like yours from the dealer and while I didn’t care for it they never leaked. When I got my new boat I made sure they put a board on the back to mount the transducers to.

Yeah going to run a different set of graphs

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

[
    Yeah going to run a different set of graphs
    [/quote]

Then I would defiantly go with a transom board.

OG Net_Man

Anyone that mounts a transducer with out using a board should be ridiculed. chased

And the consensus is………….. 3m 5200 for the win

isu22andy

I wish they made a transducer board type dash in boats. Mine has seen its fair share of graph changes . Swiss cheesed.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I wish they made a transducer board type dash in boats. Mine has seen its fair share of graph changes . Swiss cheesed.

On my last boat I cut a piece of white cutting board to cover the holes from the graph I was replacing and attached the new graph to the board.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Be aware that 5200 is quite liquidy (it’ll drip) and takes quite a while to cure. Mask of anywhere it might get. Agree that it’s the right stuff for the job, though.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Be aware that 5200 is quite liquidy (it’ll drip) and takes quite a while to cure. Mask of anywhere it might get. Agree that it’s the right stuff for the job, though.

Just fill the holes or fill the holes and put the screws back in?

Stanley

Agreed. Some sort of replaceable dash insert or bracket would be nice. I wanted the biggest ram mount on my boat but the dealer put a smaller one on. I didn’t want the Swiss cheese dash with a new boat. Last year I had my dash replaced because it cracked and had them upgrade the mount at that time.

Plunker

I would use as wide of a mounting board as you can. Gives you more flexibility to move ducer left or right to find the sweet spot.

I have some 5/8″ hdpe board that I cut however large I want. I’ve also used cheap white plastic cutting boards from Walmart and double them up, works fanastic. You may need to indent the backside with a larger drill bit to get to fit over top of rivets.

Having freedom to move ducer is paramount in finding the perfect spot on your boat.

Charles

You could epoxy over the transducer board then sand it flat and then drill new holes in it. I painted it match the rest of the transom.

I did that with my old boat, looked great.

Brian F

Agree with only using a board to mount transducers and can be done without any screws. I use Azek pvc 3/4″ trim board and shape it as needed. On my glass boat, I use 3M 4200 but 5200 would work better for aluminum.

This question caught my eye as I picked up a boat last fall and dealing with this now. The last owner had no issues with drilling holes and putting 3 (yes three) transducers on the transom. The boat only had one sonar though.

I’m going to use JB weld marine epoxy and then put a mounting board over the area to mount my transducer to.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I called a few repair shops and they all said to use a stainless screw covered with marine sealant. I will probably just do this with the existing screws. Thanks for the ideas!

cheers

will work no problem until you try to put a mounting board over top as it will not sit well over the exposed screws

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

will work no problem until you try to put a mounting board over top as it will not sit well over the exposed screws

My mounting board wont fit where the current ducer is so its not an issue waytogo

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.