Surprising sighting

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I was driving west on 94 through Wisconsin last night around 7:30 – 8 o’clock. I was somewhere between Black River Falls and Eau Claire I think when 3 Elk came running out of the woods to my right. They pulled up by the fence in the ditch as I whizzed by. I don’t know if they jumped the fence or if they stopped there. I was very surprised to see them and glad they didn’t run out in front of me.

MX1825

Wonder if wolves were chasing them?

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I saw 4 in very similar fashion last fall. Probably same area. I can’t remember the mile marker but I looked it up and that’s where a herd had been established. Couple of them had yellow ear tags. There wasn’t much fence at the spot and the lead cow got up to the tar before she turned back. Scared the crap outta me!

jwellsy

Are they on the protected species list or hunting regulations in Wisconsin? Do you think they escaped from a farm?

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

They were reintroduced in that area.

MX1825

Are they on the protected species list or hunting regulations in Wisconsin? Do you think they escaped from a farm?

The WDNR is establishing a herd east of BR Falls. If you are a resident you can apply for a tag to hunt elk in WI. There are only 8 tags allowed and 4 go to the tribes. There is a bigger herd near Clam Lake, WI. Rumor has it there are a few harvested on the reservation year round.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.