Two lines in MN passed it's first hurdle!

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>
    I rarely even fish near the Metro anymore. Tired of stunted fish, garbage, and of course the crowds.

I live in a western suburb and fish almost exclusively within the greater metro area. The bass and muskie fishing is excellent. Ya, you painted that one with a broad brush and you are wrong because I live it and prove it wrong every summer.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>basseyes wrote:</div>
    If one line is the reason for our great fishing, think of how much better it’d be if we cut it back to one ice fishing.

I’d be for limiting the <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>ice fishing to 1 line right now. SOLD!

You guys are exhausting, I’m about to check out on this one. Yes…. C&R species like <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass and <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>muskie are a different story. We are talking about harvest fish here coffee

Fair enough. I do agree with most of what you have said in regards to harvesting fish on this subject Lindy.

bobberstop4054

We catch plenty of fish most times with just one pole.We vote no! Don’t want it

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>
    Joe and Lindy,
    What electronics do you run on your boat(s)? You could always go back to a Lowrance Green box and give all the fish in MN a decent chance.:

Or just fish on eelpoutguys toon. rotflol

Sorry, I’ll try to keep them above the belt from now on. wink

Everyone knows (especially fish) on my pontoon there ain’t a whole lotta catchin going on no matter how many lines are out. redface rotflol

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>
    Joe and Lindy,
    What electronics do you run on your boat(s)? You could always go back to a Lowrance Green box and give all the fish in MN a decent chance.:

Or just fish on eelpoutguys toon. rotflol

Sorry, I’ll try to keep them above the belt from now on. wink

Everyone knows (especially fish) on my pontoon there ain’t a whole lotta catchin going on no matter how many lines are out. redface rotflol

$10 says I can out not fish you?

Chippman
    Chippewa County, Wi

Grew up in Minnesota now live in Wi Use the three lines as a tool to pattern fish
    when I fished in minn with one line I kept most fish I caught. Now I seem to catch more keep less much more enjoyable. I guess I don’t see the difference even if you keep allowed limits, what does it matter if you keep a limit caught on one pole or two it’s still one limit? Chippman

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

lindyrig79 wrote, maybe part of the answer is more people have purchased a Lifetime License and not being counted in those numbers you found?[/quote]

If you have a lifetime fishing license you should know you have to have a license printed out each year (at no charge). They do this to track how many people are fishing.

I support 2 lines ONLY IF it’s 100% supported by the DNR and 100% of any funds raised is used for hiring of conservation agents. Not training, not trucks, not seminars, not support personal in St. Paul. Live living officers to roam our lakes and woods.

Noted. toast

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

If you have a lifetime fishing license you should know you have to have a license printed out each year (at no charge). They do this to track how many people are fishing.

Correct. But hard to say if these are included in the numbers EPG dug up. Like I said, statistics can be skewed to support almost whatever agenda you want. So I could easily see these numbers being backed out of a published report, especially if they were trying to paint a picture of declining sales.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

So I could easily see these numbers being backed out of a published report, especially if they were trying to paint a picture of declining sales.

I spose this could be listed under the DNR’s long term goals since they’ve been saying that for at least 7 years that I’m aware of. Statistics can be skewed…or they can be correct.

But really, there is no good reason to not allow two lines in MN. If anyone feels two lines is wrong, then I would expect them to be for going to one line in the ice months.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

But really, there is no good reason to not allow two lines in MN.

There have been many valid reasons why this should be questioned and you just choose to disregard what others say. Like I said we can’t decide for the DNR so what are you trying to accomplish here? Get the page count to 14?

I’m officially checked out of this thread, but I hope you reach your desired page count!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Joe wrote: Like I said we can’t decide for the DNR so what are you trying to accomplish here?[/quote]

Guides and 2 lines in winter should be eliminated. (to protect our walleyes) coffee

Testie today… crazy

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Guides and 2 lines in winter should be eliminated. coffee

And Technology

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Guides and 2 lines in winter should be eliminated.
    Testie today…

That didn’t take long, you knew you could get me to post again.

No I’m not testie, its just comments like this where you try to get under peoples skin. I truly feel you are a good person and it’s ok if we disagree. You don’t have to come after me to try and push what ever your agenda is.

I personally guide so I can help people understand how to treat a resource. Many clients come to me with little knowledge and leave with a desire to continue fishing on their own, how to safely handle fish and selective harvest. Most of my clients are from out of state and do not wish to bring fish home with them and some do. But, I would argue I do a lot more teaching on how to be a sportsman than harm but that’s up to you to judge apparently.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Guides and 2 lines in winter should be eliminated. coffee

And Technology

I know you’re trying to be funny or mean…not sure which, but I agree with you completely! You weren’t expecting that were you.

We can’t keep getting better at removing a resource without giving a little and adding a second line would just compound the issues we currently face.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I’m officially checked out of this thread, but I hope you reach your desired page count!

I’m with ya Joe waytogo

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Neither Joe, it was to make a point.

My point being there are multiple issues complicating a situation.

I don’t find it fair to cherry pick an item out to make it fit your Personal Agenda.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Would any of you ‘reefer madness/mn lakes are going to die if there is 2 lines’ guys be on board if it was 2 lines on rivers only? Or if you purchase a 2nd line you are regulated to a conservation limit of half for the year?

basseyes

it’s ok if we disagree. You don’t have to come after me to try and push what ever your agenda is.

I personally guide so I can help people understand how to treat a resource.

Joe,

Respect your concern over the resource and can agree to disagree, but let’s be honest, that’s not the biggest, first or singular reason you guide and make money off a public resource.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I guess I don’t see the difference even if you keep allowed limits, what does it matter if you keep a limit caught on one pole or two it’s still one limit? Chippman

This limit argument has been mentioned before and I finally decided to step into the horse barn with knee boots on. lol

Chippman, it’s not quite that simple. Let me use an example…

Joe goes out using 1 line and manages to catch 2 walleyes a day. Well within the allowable limit of 6 walleyes per day. Joe now goes out using 2 lines and with the benefit of the extra line, Joe now catches 4 walleyes a day. In each scenario, Joe has not kept his limit, however he has doubled his harvest.

The bottom line is harvest will increase all while staying within current limits.
    (Sorry BK, you know it is all about the walleye) smile

Not that anybody cares anyway but for the record I’m completely neutral on this proposal. If 2 lines are ultimately allowed…fine. I may or may not take advantage of. If this does not pass, I figure we’re no worse off than we are today. grin

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The bottom line is harvest will increase all while staying within current limits.
    (Sorry BK, you know it is all about the walleye)

The harvest will increase on put and take resources to boot.

It’s only a walleye issue because there’s only a few in that group that oppose it.

Lindy, if the data presented is likely skewed to support the agenda, please submit your own skewed data please.

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

OH MY GOD! Reading through all eight pages of this is like watching Michael Cohen talk to Congress for the 2nd time. What a load!

For those arguing that two lines cannot be done because people are too dumb, or uncoordinated you are simply out of touch with reality. Downriggers, leadcore, planer boards, and other fishing tools make running multiple lines extremely easy while trolling. Yes, you need to learn how to do it, but it isn’t difficult. Give people some credit. Just because you have never fished with more, and think it will be difficult doesn’t mean everyone shares your lack of knowledge, or fear to try. Some of the same people stated it is about the experience not the number of fish, and I wholeheartedly agree. When I am not catching I am changing lures, depths, baits to see what works. That is part of the chase that multiple lines affords me. This mainly applies to trolling, so take that as it is. Trolling is the most likely time one would use multiple lines. I enjoy it, a lot.

Yes, it will be a boon to the fishing industry, because you will need more equipment. More rods, more reels, more baits of the same color, more styles of baits. Yes, it is an addiction we all have, and that is a good thing!

Just because I can, doesn’t mean I have to. I am allowed three lines here in WI. Allowed, not required. The fishing situation determines how many I choose to use. Jigging, or pitching jigs, casting cranks, or even fishing with a bobber for panfish still is a single line game more times than not.

Multiple lines might increases your chances, but it is not a guarantee. If you have a good day, you get off the water quicker. You might also get skunked and drown a bunch of worms in the process. Again, it is about the chase.

I agree, a limit is a limit. If I am a meat hunter, and more lines allow me to get to the goal quicker, great. I do not see a downside to that. If I am a trophy hunter using one line, and release them all on a 100 fish day am I doing more harm because of hooking mortality than keeping my limit using two lines and leaving? Perhaps. Does adding a line change that? I don’t think it does.

Not all guides are created equal. As others have stated, I am not here to bash on guides. I believe guides are some of the best stewards for our natural resources. After all, it is their livelihood. No fish, means no work (in a field they truly love). That being said more fish come over the side of a guides boat than 95% of the fishermen/women out there. Are all kept? Of course not (good stewards), but if you claim that fishing mortality of caught fish is a really big deal, and one extra line per person is going to be a big contributor to that, but not the guide contributing to the increased catch then I’m not sure we can all agree on who is better, or worse for a fishery. The one time I did go with a guide was gift from my wife. He drove to a waypoint from the day before, he set the lines, he pulled the rods from the holder when a fish hit, and he cleaned our fish. How much did I actually learn? It was about putting us on the fish. Nobody wants to go back to a guide simply to be taught (kids can do that on Youtube). They want results whether they keep them, or not.

People hate change. That much is obvious.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thank you for your Wisconsin point of view.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Back to the top! woot

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Thank you for your Wisconsin point of view.

You are very welcome. I buy a MN license too when I’m not fishing the border water that is the Mississippi. Even if I ONLY fish the Mississippi, and choose not to purchase a license I have to abide by MN regs while on that side of the river. I do have skin in this game. My opinion matters just as much as a resident of MN.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I think we are looking at this all wrong. Maybe we need to get WI to change THEIR ways and only allow ONE line…then they’ll have better fishing and stop coming here…LOL

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

I think we are looking at this all wrong. Maybe we need to get WI to change THEIR ways and only allow ONE line…then they’ll have better fishing and stop coming here…LOL

Anything is possible!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks Tim, it’s good to hear from people that have used more than one line too.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Since there is no evidence that two lines will hurt the resource we also should require all guns to be registered. coffee

After-all there is no more evidence that the government would come take your guns then there is that two lines will hurt the fishery.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

rotflol I thought I was the funny one! toast

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Sometimes it seems the only thing that gets anybodies attention is guns.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

So, safe to assume the two line thing died on the vine again? coffee

Like the Vikings say……….”wait until next year!!” wink

Viewing 30 posts - 211 through 240 (of 273 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.