Pool 2 Report (2019)

• Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Does anyone know how gnarly it is down by 494? Seems like the MN is dumping a bunch of garbage into the river. Level looks OK tomorrow so I assume the 494 ramp will be open still.

We’re gonna go down and try to sweet talk Watergate…..

Minnesota Angler

About five trailers in the lot today at 494

Attachments:
    1. 174AACE5-7C52-4E4D-AA31-6B0F8040C47C.jpeg

2. 9ED812F8-F59A-44EF-BC3C-6DE3002A4C13.jpeg

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

There was a guy loading his boat bare foot about an hour ago. Not sure what all happened before I got there, but his pants were soaked. Yesterday there were 3 guys pulling a Ski-Doo snowmobile out of the river at Bay Point Park. The river usually provides some entertainment.

watisituya
    North Metro

well shoot, I took Monday off to do a little shore fishing on P2. Never fished the shore on pool 2 so a heads up if it is even worth my time with the projected water forecast would be appreciated.

My plan was to work my way up to the dam from hidden falls but it sounds like that is shot. Any suggestions for an entry point? I will prob just bring a tackle vest, 1 rod and muck boots so a bit of a hike is not a problem… Otherwise ill stay home and clean out the boat.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

well shoot, I took Monday off to do a little shore fishing on P2. Never fished the shore on pool 2 so a heads up if it is even worth my time with the projected water forecast would be appreciated.

My plan was to work my way up to the dam from hidden falls but it sounds like that is shot. Any suggestions for an entry point? I will prob just bring a tackle vest, 1 rod and muck boots so a bit of a hike is not a problem… Otherwise ill stay home and clean out the boat.

There are a few pockets on the hidden falls side. But if I had the time and were shore fishing from HF to the dam, I would focus on the Mpls shoreline instead.

rjohnson8404

41 is getting shut down tomorrow at 9am so I would imagine it will just be a matter of time until pool 2 is similar. The minnesota is ripping through chaska right now.

TheCrappieFisherman
    West Metro

41 is getting shut down tomorrow at 9am so I would imagine it will just be a matter of time until pool 2 is similar. The minnesota is ripping through chaska right now.

Not to derail the thread but FYI hwy 41 in Chaska is now closing tonight at 7pm, they moved it up.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

If I don’t end up going north to get my boat out of its Winter home I will be shore fishing pool 2 from Ft Snelling State Park. You are welcome to tag along if you like. Shoot me a PM and I’ll let you know if I am planning on going or not.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Never seen pool 2 get shut down.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Matt
    Yesterday I was at the airport, and afterwards went through
    Ft Snelling park.
    Where the boat ramp is, the road to that island is
    blocked off with barriers and closed. Said due to high
    water, but MN R. didn’t seem to high, but know it is
    going up quickly.
    Jack

tangler
    Inactive

Got out for a few hours today. The water is high but not that fast. I motored up to hf just to see…not much ramp left. Pretty surprising how fast it’s coming up because that was a long, steep ramp on Tuesday.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

There was a guy loading his boat bare foot about an hour ago. Not sure what all happened before I got there, but his pants were soaked. Yesterday there were 3 guys pulling a Ski-Doo snowmobile out of the river at Bay Point Park. The river usually provides some entertainment.

Lol quite the entertainment down there

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I’ll be out shore fishing on Saturday when I find a break in the basketball tourney. If there are any signs of life I’ll be heading back out Monday as well. I’ll let you guys know if I can find a decent bite- but I wouldnt bank on it

buschman
    Pool 2

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rjohnson8404 wrote:</div>

Never seen pool 2 get shut down.

I have seen it shut it down twice.. They shut down to all motorized traffic. Me and a buddy took the canoe out of the levee back in 97 when we hit that high crest. Dropped at the levee and paddled back to Grey Cloud. It was crazy!!!! Bad idea but we didn’t know that at the time.

When we got back to the levee to get our car parked there the sheriff was there and chewed us out a bit. I was 17 years old at the time and will say it went in one ear and out the other ) Don’t think I would do it today.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Ive seen it go as far as locks getting shut down and public ramps closed. Only been fishing down these since 2001

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Is the Fort Snelling shore bite something that usually produces a few fish for people or is it more just something to do on a nice spring day? I only ask because I want to give it a shot but do not want to waste my time driving all the way home just to go for a walk in the woods. Also, how long of a walk is it? I will walk a long ways for a fish…

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

There are fish down there from shore and spring is the best time. With the water this cold and dirty it could be a challenge. Clean and warming water is the best bet.

Only place close you have a chance to catch a trophy walleye from shore so it’s always worth the time.

buschman
    Pool 2

Ive seen it go as far as locks getting shut down and public ramps closed. Only been fishing down these since 2001

18 years is a bit of time Michael!! To be honest fishing is down right tough when we get water that high.. Not only that but it start to get scary being out on the main channel in some sections. I had better luck jumping in the canoe and hanging out in Grey Cloud but with the new bridge that whole deal will be messed up. Curious how the new bridge will take this one. There was a lot of jumbo trees that will most likely make their way down to the bridge and choke that thing up a bit.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Posted about an hour ago on City of SSP Facebook page. Yikes, she looks a little high!

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20190322-152707_Facebook.jpg

walleyewizard

Just got back from Watergate. The ramp is closed. They are busy trying to get the big boats in the water. Water has really come up in the last couple days.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Posted about an hour ago on City of SSP Facebook page. Yikes, she looks a little high!

Shouldn’t you be mixin up some Sangria. tongue

Sharon
    SE Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Sharon M wrote:</div>

Shouldn’t you be mixin up some Sangria. tongue

Yeah yeah, I’ll go make it…

Okay it’s in the fridge! So I was googling the crap out of the millions of ways to make sangria, figuring maybe I should pick a different kind of wine if I’m using brandy vs. tequila, and it turns out the only consistent recipe recommendation is to use a wine that you’d drink by itself. So I settled on a red moscato!

We’ll see how it tastes tomorrow. Eelpoutguy, you’re daring enough to have the first taste? grin

Attachments:
    1. 20190322_155215.jpg

catnip
    south metro

Anyplace left on p2 to get a boat in?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

That’s my buddies boat that we were launching in. It was high but wasn’t terrible out there. Fishing was bad and the city had barricades up when we were leaving.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Anyplace left on p2 to get a boat in?

Maybe the private launches at the marinas south of 494 but they will probably be shutting down, too.

I think p2 is done for a few weeks.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

494 is closed. Got the road blocked off today.

Attachments:
    1. 5C7F4987-D9A7-4F27-9AB7-B856DB3AFEBA.jpeg

2. 256764D1-0A0B-4CFD-9FAC-BFDCD6C35F85.jpeg

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Here’s what the access looks like today. There are barricades across the road to the ramp. Lots of trees and big sheets of ice coming down river.

S.R.

Attachments:
    1. 20190324_141445.jpg

buschman
    Pool 2

We were out Friday and Saturday. We did use 494 on Friday but seen the road barriers set to shut it down soon so used Hidden Harbor on Saturday. He let us launch Saturday but with the way the water is going up I doubt they will be letting boats out now. The parking lot will be under water here by tomorrow I bet. I will be driving down to the Levee and Hidden Harbor tomorrow to take a look. I will also be checking on the new bridge in GCI to see if the logs are making it through there ok. Even if you can get out your odds of catching anything are pretty slim. Not worth the effort in my opinion. We made the run up to the confluence to check things out and ended up on the shore down river grilling. Fishing was as slow as it gets. Pretty ugly when the water is coming up 2-3 ft per day.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Mahtofire14 that spot you were in looks a little wet now.

I could see sitting on the seam in a boat if there was a place to put the boat in. I think the closest open launch is in Prescott.

Next time I walk down there I need to make preparations. I almost came back with one sock.

Attachments:
    1. B7A059B8-345F-4F9D-B502-159780525411.jpeg

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 434 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.