Pool 2 Report (2019)

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m just a shore fisherman on P2 but I got out yesterday for a couple hours and put my first two Spring eyes on the bank. Solid 17 or 18 inchers on Mooney’s jig and white Moxie. Slammed it too. Saw a few boats going by as well as a couple other guys on shore. Water clarity was about 2-3 feet, current wasn’t too bad. Sure hope the water levels aren’t going to go crazy this weekend with the warm up but I’m not holding my breath.

Attachments:
    1. 36C467A0-6E4C-4379-8736-53F794F15037.jpeg

2. 4F2BA474-35B6-44EF-8F60-93A24B28CF5D.jpeg

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Nice job!

-J.

Tom Anastasi

Nice looking fish.
    Thanks for the report!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Nothing like a little hike to get after a couple nice fish. Nice work.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Still haven’t gotten up the nerve to run my fiberglass out there….. doah

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

No reason not to run your boat on the river. Just be careful and aware and you will be fine.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Nice job! It always feels more rewarding catching a nice fish in that manner!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

Well, I don’t think bass boats catch walleyes anyways.

I shorefished p2 for quite awhile before the boat. You need to get the boat out there. That little stretch you are shore fishing is a different animal in the boat.

You might want to wait a bit now with the water coming up but you should get the boat out. No reason not to. I’ll even show you some spots if you want someone to tag along.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

Well, I don’t think bass boats catch walleyes anyways.

I shorefished p2 for quite awhile before the boat. You need to get the boat out there. That little stretch you are shore fishing is a different animal in the boat.

You might want to wait a bit now with the water coming up but you should get the boat out. No reason not to. I’ll even show you some spots if you want someone to tag along.

I guess my fear of hitting a boulder or log is a little more irrational than I thought. I’m sure once I get it out there and see where I can and can’t go I’ll be fine. Matt I’d take you up on that offer later this year for sure. Thanks for the encouragement guys.

What would be a good launch for someone that hasn’t been on the river much? I have a bunk trailer so it shouldn’t be too tough.

tangler
    Inactive

Watergate is by far the easiest launch to use. Worth the $10, one less thing to worry about for your first few times out maybe. It will be a while yet before they open I bet?

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

What would be a good launch for someone that hasn’t been on the river much? I have a bunk trailer so it shouldn’t be too tough.
    [/quote]

I’ve found that Lilydale is easier than Hidden Falls, less current.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Watergate is by far the easiest launch to use. Worth the $10, one less thing to worry about for your first few times out maybe. It will be a while yet before they open I bet?

I’ve found that Lilydale is easier than Hidden Falls, less current.
    [/quote]

Thanks guys. I’ll be waiting for the water to go down before I get out there with the boat but I think I’ll definitely go out this year.

tangler
    Inactive

I was out a for a bit today. Water temps around 37, so we have some time still.

The fish are definitely around but I wasn’t able to find any active ones today. Sure beat ice fishing though.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_2019-03-19_11.50.06.png

Andrew Hubbard

From what I seen today people are catching fish. Thinking they where using small hair jigs and little blade baits.

tangler
    Inactive

Uuuuuggggh are you serious St. Paul?! Sure glad I took a vacation day tomorrow…

Attachments:
    1. FC93976F-5ABF-4970-B8D4-56AE44C10F68.jpeg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Is it that high already? I was hoping to sneak in one last shore fishing session monday morning.

tangler
    Inactive

Is it that high already? I was hoping to sneak in one last shore fishing session monday morning.

I was there yesterday and no it wasn’t high. At all really. Never would’ve guessed it’d be closed a day later. There were 3 guys fishing in your spot from the photos.

We’re not even to action stage yet as far as I can tell. Projected to flood (14 ft in St. Paul) Saturday/Sunday?

It should be ok through Friday. Monday looks messy!

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20190320-162905_Samsung-Internet.jpg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Figured it’d be right on the verge of flood territory by Monday. The temps this weekend aren’t going to be as high as they originally thought though so maybe I’ll get lucky. Either way I’ll be down there in waders. I’ve done well there when it’s been pretty high.

Knew I should’ve cut that bridge out of the pics…. roll

tangler
    Inactive

Knew I should’ve cut that bridge out of the pics….

I didn’t mean to imply you were giving away spots or anything like that. There aren’t many secrets on pool 2 and I’m glad you shared the report. Good luck if you get out there again soon! I might try getting out of 494 tomorrow with HF closed.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>
    Knew I should’ve cut that bridge out of the pics….

I didn’t mean to imply you were giving away spots or anything like that. There aren’t many secrets on pool 2 and I’m glad you shared the report. Good luck if you get out there again soon! I might try getting out of 494 tomorrow with HF closed.

I know you weren’t. I was merely making light of the fact that you saw 3 people out there fishing that spot last time you were out. Vultures! rotflol

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Anyone know if Watergate or the fort snelling ramps are open? Planning to get the boat our Friday if possible. Don’t really want to fish south out of 494 if possible.

tangler
    Inactive

I’m off the next two days so I’ll scout around tomorrow. Watergate did not look open yesterday but things change quick.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

The city of St Paul is outta control. Let us know what you find out but closing the parks already is ridiculous.

Andrew Hubbard

DNR in his boat today said Hidden falls boat access is open as of tonight.

tangler
    Inactive

DNR in his boat today said Hidden falls boat access is open as of tonight.

Interesting. I reposted the image from parks dpt Facebook. Maybe they jumped the gun with the announcement.

matt

Hidden Falls was open today and watergates ramp looked ice free and useable also.Locked gates,road closed barriers,closed parks and there is nothing even close to being flooded yet.Irritating to say the least..

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Heard that Watergate is not open to everyone yet. Sounds like they are busy with the ramp getting their dry docked boats in the water before flood waters hit.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Ssem to remember other ramps like lions levee and 494 start closing when water levels hit 10 to 11′. Willies and Mississippi pub should be open for a few feet higher than that.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 434 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.