Pool 2 Report (2019)

• Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

They can’t eat dead shad forever…. can they?! I just don’t get it. It always gets better and better for me every single year right up until I can’t get the boat in. It’s been just crap for 2 or 3 weeks now. I scratched MN deer season this year just to sneak in more late fall fishing……..

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I don’t know….it was great late summer and early fall and then slowed down with the water rise. The few weeks after Hog Haul the bite was lights out for me.

I have always heard of the shad die off but last weekend you could see them floating down river. Never seen it like that before. Maybe it will start to pick back up but this has been a weird year starting with the high water in the spring.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Time for me to deploy my super secret spots!!!!

I know a couple hot spots for 12″ walleyes year round. Maybe give it a go Sunday afternoon.

I’ll be out on shore Sunday also. Hopefully they have digested the shad enough to be hungry again.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Out again this morning and nothing. Not even a sniff. Sure hope they start biting by the weekend….

tangler
    Inactive

Hidden Falls North gate still closed. Nothing on the parks dpt’s website where they list closures. I called ’em up and they said Park Security told them it was closed “due to weather conditions.” I don’t know what weather they’re talking about. Pretty brutal.

mark z
    South Minneapolis

Is 494 ramp open? Thanks

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Hidden Falls North gate still closed. Nothing on the parks dpt’s website where they list closures. I called ’em up and they said Park Security told them it was closed “due to weather conditions.” I don’t know what weather they’re talking about. Pretty brutal.

I’d imagine they’re afraid of people sliding dow the icy launch. I’ve slid down that one a time or 2.

tangler
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tangler wrote:</div>

I’d imagine they’re afraid of people sliding dow the icy launch. I’ve slid down that one a time or 2.

It’s not the ramp that’s been blocked, it’s the entire park entrance. It was back open yesterday afternoon, drove down and everything looked absolutely perfect. Will be driving by in a bit, if it’s closed again I’ll post. Hoping to get out tomorrow for a few hours.

katmando

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>katmando wrote:</div>

It’s not the ramp that’s been blocked, it’s the entire park entrance. It was back open yesterday afternoon, drove down and everything looked absolutely perfect. Will be driving by in a bit, if it’s closed again I’ll post. Hoping to get out tomorrow for a few hours.

That hill to get down to the ramp can be even worse! It’s sketchy dry. Let alone a little icy!
    There’s bigger fish further south any way! wink
    All the launches 494 and south of here are good to go!

tangler
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>katmando wrote:</div>

That hill to get down to the ramp can be even worse! It’s sketchy dry. Let alone a little icy!

In winter, yes. It’s been in the 40s most of the week. That hill is grip city right now, no reason not to have the gates open. The city is just being the city.

There are reasons why a person would want to put in up top at HF. Just trying to provide info.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

The gates are open to HdF. Just drove by a few hours ago.

mark z
    South Minneapolis

Went up to the dam out of hidden falls this afternoon for a couple hours. Caught 1 small sauger in by the locks dragging a ringworm. Saw a couple of other boats come and go. With the water coming in strong around both sides of the island, the usual current seams are blown up. Didn’t have the time to get down river. Great afternoon to be out.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Just FYI for those trying to get out a couple more times before Thanksgiving – the dock/tree have been removed from the 494 launch and the barricades are gone. I launched there today without any hassle.

Cody Meyers

We launched at 494 today too. The launch was good and the river was clear. We caught about a dozen fish in the first 1.5 hours after daylight and then it was slow going after that. All fish on blades or jigging raps.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

A few fish at the confluence today but it was still slow. Water was really clear and fish were deep. Marked big pods of fish but they were pretty tight lipped.

With the coming weather this might be it for awhile.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

A few fish at the confluence today but it was still slow. Water was really clear and fish were deep. Marked big pods of fish but they were pretty tight lipped.

That would explain why would couldn’t get any from shore….Was a brutal week.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

I’m heading down again shortly – will hopefully find a few fish and put up a pre-tg report for us.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

That would explain why would couldn’t get any from shore….Was a brutal week.

Were down below HWY 5? I assume that was you when I came upriver about 2 or so. I worked that spot a bit before anyone was on shore…..dead sea.

I probably won’t be back on the river until January/February on P4…we’ll see though.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Were down below HWY 5? I assume that was you when I came upriver about 2 or so. I worked that spot a bit before anyone was on shore…..dead sea.

I probably won’t be back on the river until January/February on P4…we’ll see though.

That was me. I was actually wondering if that was you in that shiny new boat! Glad we weren’t the only ones. Are you thinking the bite is done? I figured it would go a little longer into winter, but the way things have gone I’m not sure.

Also, do you remember if you marked anything while you went over that spot??? I’m thinking of just getting ready for ice after this last week out there…..

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

That was me. I was actually wondering if that was you in that shiny new boat! Glad we weren’t the only ones. Are you thinking the bite is done? I figured it would go a little longer into winter, but the way things have gone I’m not sure.

Also, do you remember if you marked anything while you went over that spot??? I’m thinking of just getting ready for ice after this last week out there…..

I’ve had luck all winter long down there. Some of my best days have been in December and January. I marked fish on the south end. Just where the creek comes through. There is a steep drop down there kinda on the center of where that creek comes through. Where you were at is kind of a shelf and drops fast where the current breaks. It’s a good spot but clear cold water will be challenging. That’s why a lot of guys shorefish along the dam at Minnehaha in the winter. That steep break along the rocks will hold fish in the cold and clear water.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

[/quote]

Oh there are whoppers on the middle and lower sections of the pool for sure. But one of the biggest walleyes I’ve ever seen in my life was upstream of the confluence and caught thanksgiving week.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I agree…..better size down south but it’s a lot more water to cover. I’ve also caught some dandy fish in the upper end, especially in really early spring.

buschman
    Pool 2

Oh there are whoppers on the middle and lower sections of the pool for sure. But one of the biggest walleyes I’ve ever seen in my life was upstream of the confluence and caught thanksgiving week.
    [/quote]

The biggest I know of was from 2005 or 06. A guy caught a 32.5″ right at the 494 launch from shore. He had it on a stringer!! Weighed 14 lb 6 oz. I believe Dezee was the one that weighed it. Was late Nov or early Dec.. Just a pig. I have caught a few 30-30.5″ that pushed 12 but this fish was in a different class. The one were all chasing..

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Watched a guy catch a 29” this summer while I was launching at 494. He was fishing with a slip bobber and worm on the little pier next to the launch.

I have ten grand worth of tackle with me and a brand new boat and the guy catches it on a slip bobber and worm……from shore. Gotta love fishing.

Best part is all he was focused on was getting a measurement and a pic and getting it released. Very cool moment.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Yesterday was just ok for my boat we only got a couple fish. The fish were there and hungry but the wind was brutal and made it really tough to get the bait in front of them. Weather doesn’t look great for the next week but we’ll see how it goes.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Anyone been by 494 ramp since it snowed? Wondering what condition its in? Thanks.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

494 this morning. One trailer in the lot.

-J.

Attachments:
    1. 496051E8-994C-4209-BD90-FDFA4E467DDA.jpeg

2. C1C2D37B-6E65-43D1-9780-0AE321EAAEC0.jpeg

3. 8D670EA4-BBE9-4748-90B9-5D7B1FCB025A.jpeg

CBMN
    North Metro

Thanks for taking the photos Jon. Maybe see you down there in the snow.

katmando

I may make it down in the morning tommorrow before the snow flys. I’ll be i the grey Lund tyee.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Ill be there to. Packing a snow shovel for the boat.

Viewing 30 posts - 361 through 390 (of 434 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.