Channels

• tim hurley

Anyone fish for them this time of year? Any tips?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Yes. I’m guessing they going about a month ago. Found ours soaking cut bait on current seams yesterday. Find a seam, fish it for maybe a half hour and move on. Violent strikes on that cut bait. Wasn’t sure if the rod holder was going to survive. Got 6 nice channels midday yesterday moving around trying different spots.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20240427_155430.jpg

2. 20240427_173833-scaled.jpg

tim hurley

Sounds like fun-cool. I fish a couple of lakes for them, guy told me he does well with live suckers on the bottom. In a river system they probably really use their sense of smell-maybe in a lake other senses are used more.
    Thanks

Bob Bowman
    MN

Yes, love the cat bite!!

Same as what Mike said above, cutbait on seams. If you don’t get bit in 20 minutes, make adjustments. Those fish hit like a ton of bricks. Most of my action has been taking place at dark or after. Water flow and clarity played a big part of that a few weeks ago. Excited to get out after this rain, hopefully they’ll be eating a little earlier in the day.

Attachments:
    1. 20240410_214029-scaled.jpg

3Rivers

Right now through the end of May is a prespawn bonanza for Channel Cats. They are big and they are hungry!
    Some of the biggest channel cats I see every year is in this window. The problem is that as soon as that water temp hits 60 my attention is stolen by the Flatheads. But for sure in lakes or rivers which only have Channels, it’s go time! Also, don’t be afraid to try 5 feet and less, they are actively feeding in the shallows, and especially in warmer backwater bays.

and I tell ya what if you want some crazy channel cats right now, sneak down to the Madison chain of lakes or Okoboji. Incredible systems for giant channel cats. (we’re talking 25-30lbers).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.