Quick Menomin Ice Report 12/12/08

• Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I’ve been out fishing the last few days not only in butches bay but also trying new spots on the North and South side of the lake. Up in the Asylum there are already 3 perm shacks and I’ve been seeing sled’s and wheelers out. We still need to be careful as you are further out from shore. On the main lake Ice is around 4-9″ depending on where you are, but I’ve noticed large inconsistencies in ice depths even in holes as close as 30yrds.

Today the fish were very lethargic however present. Extremely light bites but they were willing to cooperate. I feel mobility was key today. Going out and drilling a couple dozen holes, literally following these small pods of fish. Brought home 8 gills and 1 crappie for the hot oil bath tonight but did find several other short gills and the accidental short walleye. Depending on how this weekend goes I’d like to put my shack out by Sunday and hopefully see if the evening bite is going at all.

Only snapped one pic off my phone today, Got into about 5 that looked like this gal.

See ya out there, Pete

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Nice gill, thanks for the report.

Sully

packmann
    spring valley

nice fish pete, i will be heading out early am, going to fish a couple of spots. i am in a green one man eskimo with a blue dodge dakota, if you ever see me stop and say hi. i would like to thank you for some of the info you have given me and talk a little fishing. promise i wont take up all of your time and ask you a million questions.

bigpike

Nice gils Petey and good report. I am just getting up and rolling today. Gonna hit a river spot should be a great day to be out with warming temps. Good luck to everyone and stay safe!

sivee
    Hudson,Wi. Locked out/ Croix

What are u using for bait if any?

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Been fishing wax-worms and spikes about 50/50

woody-1961
    Menomonie,Wi

nice report pete… im putting the permanent shack on the lake saturday…if your out fishing give me a call and stop over and we can solve the world problems

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

nice report pete… im putting the permanent shack on the lake saturday…if your out fishing give me a call and stop over and we can solve the world problems

I’ll be back in MN for Christmas etc but will be back in town around the 1st of Jan. After that we can solve the worlds problems, I’ll bring the

Pete

bigpike

Hey this solving the worlds problems stuff on the ice sounds like fun, after the New Year Petey drop me a line and I’ll take a drive over, I work a wierd schedule but I get 5 days off at a time so drop me a PM when and if you guys need help with the BIG issues, I’ll bring the

sipple31
    West-Central WI

Quote:

I’ll be back in MN for Christmas etc but will be back in town around the 1st of Jan. After that we can solve the worlds problems, I’ll bring the

Pete

I hope the bite picks up before January, Pete! Or we will be consuming lots of barley pop out there…

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Hey this solving the worlds problems stuff on the ice sounds like fun, after the New Year Petey drop me a line and I’ll take a drive over, I work a wierd schedule but I get 5 days off at a time so drop me a PM when and if you guys need help with the BIG issues, I’ll bring the

Will do Bill

and Luke…

woody-1961
    Menomonie,Wi

i will pre-heat the shack and have things ready for you guys.the shack has 6 holes and 6 chairs and a fold down table to put the beer cans on while you are winding in fish i might have to fire up the stove and cook up a pot of chilli…wait beer and chilli in an ice shack….. well that will require some thought

bigpike

Quote:

i will pre-heat the shack and have things ready for you guys.the shack has 6 holes and 6 chairs and a fold down table to put the beer cans on while you are winding in fish i might have to fire up the stove and cook up a pot of chilli…wait beer and chilli in an ice shack….. well that will require some thought

Woody I am there, maybe bring along the smokey joe???

red89
    Hudson

Me and my buddy are hoping to get his shack out soon, we are still trying to finish it up. Its 17.5 x 7 on the inside, so im pretty pumped.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.