Confused, mad, embarrassed, intrigued

• gregory
    Red wing,mn

I see we are on page 5, good job guys. Have my doubts on 6 though.

blackbay
    mn

If passing the bad money wasn’t the reason he was arrested what was?

Yes that is why GF was arrested, but after that is why there is a trial. He could have been stopped for not signaling a turn, or for drowning puppies, and it still shouldn’t end in him dead during an arrest. The trial is determining why he died and who, if anyone, is at fault.

It’s that kind of thing why I find this interesting. Honestly this type of thing should be shown in schools so kids can learn how the system works from a distance. Then they can compare the kangaroo courts in other countries as a comparison.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Blackbay nailed it. If the counterfeit $20 hasn’t been mentioned, it’s because it doesn’t matter. George Floyd is not on trial.

bowman620

I thought they talked about it a lot the first day with that young store clerk on the stand

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i dont want this to get derailed, nor do i want an arguement……i simply asked the question to get other opinions…….. i do get the BIG picture!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>
    If passing the bad money wasn’t the reason he was arrested what was?

Yes that is why GF was arrested, but after that is why there is a trial. He could have been stopped for not signaling a turn, or for drowning puppies, and it still shouldn’t end in him dead during an arrest. The trial is determining why he died and who, if anyone, is at fault.

It’s that kind of thing why I find this interesting. Honestly this type of thing should be shown in schools so kids can learn how the system works from a distance. Then they can compare the kangaroo courts in other countries as a comparison.

I’m curious,
    What do you mean by this?
    Kid’s learning about the Judicial process or kid’s learning not to break the law because there are consequences?
    Because I agree with your statement if it is both ways.

OG Net_Man

This has nothing to do with the actual trial but – Assuming that he was not trying to use Monopoly money have they investigated the counterfeit money crime? It may have only been a $20 but common sense would tell you that there is more where that came from.

bowman620

The passenger tore up another fake 20$ on camera in front of the store clerks. He also said that he tried to use one earlier but they rejected it. Now that guy says he will plead the fifth if called up to testify. Like my grandpa said “ make stupid choices you end up in stupid places”. This all could have been prevented by not making bad choices

blackbay
    mn

I’m curious,
    What do you mean by this?
    Kid’s learning about the Judicial process or kid’s learning not to break the law because there are consequences?
    Because I agree with your statement if it is both ways.

IMO people don’t understand how the legal or court system works. I know I had the wrong impression. There are a lot of nuances, procedures and ways that evidence is presented and how witnesses are questioned. I know I’ve had some ah ha moments.

There are good lawyers on both sides, but I bet it would be different if a public defender was involved. This specific case may not be the best example to show kids because the defendant is white and there are people who feel the system is racially bias. Personally I feel the system is bias, but not for the reason some may think. I feel it’s biased for people who can afford a good lawyer and don’t have to depend on a public defender. Think OJ. Who is going to give you more attention, a lawyer you pay 100’s of dollars an hour to focus on you, or a free one who has 100’s of cases just pleading cases to clear their files.

I hope people already know there are consequences for breaking the law. I wasn’t thinking of a scared straight type of deal but more like here’s how the donuts are made. I suppose my point is that it doesn’t seem like a crooked system bent on tossing people in prison and throwing away the key like some back water court in Mississippi pre-civil rights. I’d like to believe Minnesota is better than that.

It still boils down to if you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Laws are laws. It really doesn’t matter if it’s something trivial like littering, wearing seatbelts or murder. There are consequences for breaking all laws. These lawyers will try the case and the jury will render a verdict. The losing side will appeal and at some point a final verdict gets handed down. Like it or hate it thats the way it works.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I haven’t been in this thread in a few days, but it’s great to see it civil and still going.

I am sticking to my prediction that Chauvin will be found guilty of the manslaughter charge and 3rd degree murder. 2nd degree murder will be tough to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

Floyd committed crimes. If he were alive, he should be punished for them. However, he is not on trial. The defense is going to have to find something other than reaches at Floyd’s character and petty crimes/drug use that are ultimately irrelevant to Chauvin’s charges if they want acquittal.

mojogunter

I don’t understand why Barr wouldn’t let him plead to 3rd degree murder to avoid this circus? Well, I do think I know why he wouldn’t let him plead, but I digress

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Doesn’t the 3 separate charges give the jury 3 options for convictions rather than 1 charge where he might be found not guilty? Isn’t the prosecution just covering all their bases?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Nailed it. It seems like there are some out there who are having a difficult time accepting that WHATEVER Floyd did or did not do, his actions are not on trial here. There is no line that Floyd or any other suspect can cross that gives Chauvin a get-out-of-jail-free card to do whatever he wants in the process of enforcing the law.

What’s on trial here are the actions Chauvin took in the process of apprehending Floyd. That’s it. Chauvin cannot be found not guilty because Floyd was allegedly guilty of something else. Had Floyd lived, he would still be accountable for his actions, but that would not get Chauvin off the hook for being accountable for his own actions.

big_g
    Isle, MN

From what I have read, the force/tactic that was used, is a taught/approved method currently ?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

From what I have read, the force/tactic that was used, is a taught/approved method currently ?

True, but the point they are trying to make I think is once they controlled him it became excessive force. Personally, with a guy that big I don’t think he is controlled until he is cuffed. But, I’m not a cop. (Thankfully)

big_g
    Isle, MN

I get that after he quit moving/responding, Chauvin was a douche bag, but the manner used, is not supposed to restrict a suspects breathing from what I have read, just to bring about compliance.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

From what I understand the knee to the neck restraint will be replaced with the cops & suspect playing rock, scissors, paper. Winner gets to cuff you or run.

munchy
    NULL

It was approved and trained at MPD.

Steven Crowder did a segment this morning with this same technique. Judge for yourself if just a knee on the neck will kill a person.

Scroll to 1 hour 13 minutes and watch the 9.5 minutes in its entirety.

3Rivers

I spent the past few days actually watching the majority of the trial. My biggest takeaway is how the press is covering it. They are sure to hit on all the high points the prosecution has nailed, but keeps failing to mention the rebuttal of the defense, and in some cases a pretty convincing rebuttal.

Example: Media reports– Lt. Johnny Mercil explained it was not an authorized neck restraint. He continued stating that such a restraint is not authorized to be used against someone who is handcuffed and under control.

But in most cases the media failed to mention the defense rebutted with several clear pictures throughout the incident showing the knee to the back and shoulder which Mercil confirmed to and agreed the knee was on the shoulder and was part of the use of force training.

Let’s remember, the court of public opinion will be historical in this case. No matter the evidence provided or verdict served, ultimately, the people’s opinion will shape our future, not Chauvin’s fate.

Coletrain27

alot of talk about of the drugs this afternoon. they now saw that the guy in the red hat with floyd took something out of there car and threw it out when the cops were there. also pills found in the back seat of the cop car. he must of had a whole mouth full of pills at one time.

munchy
    NULL

he must of had a whole mouth full of pills at one time.

In one of the bodycam videos you can see a white object(s) in his mouth.

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coletrain27 wrote:</div>
    he must of had a whole mouth full of pills at one time.

In one of the bodycam videos you can see a white object(s) in his mouth.

knowing that how can the cop really be blamed for his death? they said he had 3.5x the amount of drugs in his body to kill a normal person ???

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

But in most cases the media failed to mention the defense rebutted with several clear pictures throughout the incident showing the knee to the back and shoulder which Mercil confirmed to and agreed the knee was on the shoulder and was part of the use of force training.

Who are the media outlets that failed to mention this? Specifically.

Yesterday, both KSTP and WCCO both covered this knee on shoulder rebuttal both in the evening and night news. NPR also covered this angle extensively in their radio coverage.

This article in the Pioneer Press covers both the prosecution and the defense angles on the witness you mention. https://www.twincities.com/2021/04/07/expert-chauvin-never-took-knee-off-floyds-neck/

The Star Tribune has a similar article, both prosecution and defense takes are mentioned.

Who are these “majority” of media outlets who aren’t presenting both sides specifically?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

knowing that how can the cop really be blamed for his death? they said he had 3.5x the amount of drugs in his body to kill a normal person

That’s probably the best argument that the defense has and you can guarantee the high amount of drugs combined with underlying health conditions is something that will come up.

Prosecution will rest and then the defense will call their own set of witnesses and experts.

big_g
    Isle, MN

National news outlets are portraying more of a negative, of the defense team tactics, than the local news is. Specifically CNN, just Google Chauvin Defense or Floyd Prosecutors. Definitely “steering” the audience.

Beast

One word…..Covid…..

Coletrain27

the “strangulation expert” should be careful, that comb over he has might strangle someone

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

National news outlets are portraying more of a negative, of the defense team tactics, than the local news is. Specifically CNN, just Google Chauvin Defense or Floyd Prosecutors. Definitely “steering” the audience.

Yep, every headline I have read from NPR and StarTribune has been very prosecution-biased. I have not seen a headline with the defense’s rebuttals.

munchy
    NULL

the “strangulation expert” should be careful, that comb over he has might strangle someone

That wasn’t a ferret on his head?

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 327 total)

The topic ‘Confused, mad, embarrassed, intrigued’ is closed to new replies.