Confused, mad, embarrassed, intrigued

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I don’t know what emotion I should have. The Chauvin trial starts and the amount of coverage this is getting is crazy. Even the TV station from Duluth has a guy down there. All the national outlets are covering it.

I wonder if it’s the trial that they are covering or the aftermath they want to be here for? I have to think if this was happening in Kansas City or Omaha it barely would be a story.

They are predicting the trial to take a month, I have to wonder if the protests, riots, looting start before then. My heart goes out to the homeowners and business owners this is going to effect.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i hear ya dutchy…….they’ve already been “peacefully” protesting the last few days!!!!!!

same here for the homeowners and businesses in the area!!!!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Certainly atopic of interest to all. Unfortunately it won’t last long here.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Certainly atopic of interest to all. Unfortunately it won’t last long here.

Might as well dust it now. With some of the other post that have been dusted recently, I can’t see this one surviving.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I don’t know what emotion I should have. The Chauvin trial starts and the amount of coverage this is getting is crazy. Even the TV station from Duluth has a guy down there. All the national outlets are covering it.

I wonder if it’s the trial that they are covering or the aftermath they want to be here for? I have to think if this was happening in Kansas City or Omaha it barely would be a story.

They are predicting the trial to take a month, I have to wonder if the protests, riots, looting start before then. My heart goes out to the homeowners and business owners this is going to effect.

I agree with the confusion, anger, embarrassment, and sadness that this is going to bring from all different sides. Let’s not pretend like this court case is only getting publicity because of it being in Minnesota though. It is 2021 and the same circus and mix of emotions would be prevalent anywhere. Unfortunately the media will be all over this as it’s going to bring viewers, division, and attention that the industry thrives on. I will likely tune-in for parts, but it’s not going to be via the big Fox, CNN, NBC, etc. correspondents and “experts” weighing in with their biases.

I am not privileged to hear every minute of testimony, questioning, or every artifact of evidence as I’m not a juror…and neither is anyone who will be posting here about it. Hopefully everyone here lets this play out before speaking in absolutes or as self-proclaimed experts. I have opinions, but I’m not going to pretend to cast them off as facts or something that couldn’t be changed if I were the one sitting on that jury. I do not envy those people one bit.

Beast

The sad part is, the officers fate are in the hands of 12 people that weren’t smart enough to get out of jury duty.
    the city and media have them convicted before the trial even begins, in my opinion it will end in a miss trail and a riot.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

The process must take place, he’s entitled to a fair trial, and hopefully true justice is served – respecting the final verdict.

That said, I think the trial by media and trial of public opinion has concluded. Terminology I hear being used by the media is already pouring gas on the fire. If he’s found guilty, there will those that are not satisfied with any outcome. Fear is this is already being fueled for more riots.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The bad part is the majority of the violence/racism is incited by the media.
    They insist upon it and should be held accountable for it. I consider it a crime against humanity.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

The bad part is the majority of the violence is incited by the media.
    They insist upon it and should be held accountable for it.

Absolutely agree. Regardless of the outcome I think it’s gonna be ugly.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

We all know this thread is against the rules but it seems appropriate and I hope it is allowed to stick around for at least a day.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

We all know this thread is against the rules but it seems appropriate and I hope it is allowed to stick around for at least a day.

I don’t know that it’s against the rules, maybe? I think it’s currant events, the same thing we would be talking about in a boat. I hope it stays but somebody will surely bomb in here throwing crap and get it nuked.

To be safe I guess I could ask for the 3,000th time what test line for jigging the sand on Mille Lacs. jester

Alex Fox

“I am not privileged to hear every minute of testimony, questioning, or every artifact of evidence as I’m not a juror…and neither is anyone who will be posting here about it. Hopefully everyone here lets this play out before speaking in absolutes or as self-proclaimed experts. I have opinions, but I’m not going to pretend to cast them off as facts or something that couldn’t be changed if I were the one sitting on that jury. I do not envy those people one bit.”

This is so perfectly stated I had to quote it. None of us are in that courtroom, none of us know what’s actually happening.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

I don’t know that it’s against the rules, maybe? I think it’s currant events, the same thing we would be talking about in a boat. I hope it stays but somebody will surely bomb in here throwing crap and get it nuked.

To be safe I guess I could ask for the 3,000th time what test line for jigging the sand on Mille Lacs. jester

The bite was hot out there yesterday. We caught probably 20 or so fish…kept a few eaters for an Easter fish fry.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I tried watching some of the jury selection and to be honest I thought it was pretty boring.

I’m glad its being televised live though. Since they can only permit a certain amount of people in the room, this was a good decision. Its being transparent and open with the public about it.

It appears that the defense will use the drugs/narcotics found in his body at the time to try and show that was the cause of death rather than the knee on his neck.

Karry Kyllo

The sad part is, the officers fate are in the hands of 12 people that weren’t smart enough to get out of jury duty.
    the city and media have them convicted before the trial even begins, in my opinion it will end in a miss trail and a riot.

Any particular reason why you think that jurors performing their civic duty signifies a lack of intelligence? I disagree completely.
    Everyone doesn’t shun civic duty and many feel obligated to serve.
    Our justice system is supposed to work exactly how this trial is so far being conducted. Innocence or guilt is supposed to be decided by a jury of our peers.
    Why don’t we just let the trial play out and keep preconceived judgements out of our discussions.

Dan
    Southeast MN

The process must take place, he’s entitled to a fair trial, and hopefully true justice is served – respecting the final verdict.

I’m a fan of law and order, the constitution, and rights.

I hope he gets a fair trail.

I hope bad cops get axed wherever they are and the good ones are respected and supported in the extremely tough job they do.

And I would like to see the tide turn so that riots, insurrections, and violence on and from all sides are dealt with aggressively so they simmer down and are stopped.

Obviously all these are easier said than done.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

None of us are in that courtroom, none of us know what’s actually happening.

That’s not true. Every second of it will be televised live.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Alex Fox wrote:</div>
    None of us are in that courtroom, none of us know what’s actually happening.

That’s not true. Every second of it will be televised live.

Yes. But none of us will watch every moment nor be as engaged when we are (if you’re typing here today, you already missed something live). None of us are carrying the burden of making “the decisions” on guilt to various charges. Jurors don’t get to cruise the internet while listening, play the trial in the background while they’re doing other stuff, etc. Just because there’s a live stream of something it does not mean that everyone who casually tunes in from time to time will be aware of what’s exactly happening – myself included. I’m glad the transparency is there, but it is also going to create a ton of self proclaimed experts because they “watched some of the trial.”

So far this thread has surprised me. applause It’d be great to see it stick around without just rash statements and opinions thrown out.

Brad Dimond

Buckybadger wrote:
    Unfortunately the media will be all over this as it’s going to bring viewers, division, and attention that the industry thrives on.

I agree to an extent that the media are vultures. However, they write/broadcast/blog what sells. The American people are not victims of the media, they are as culpable as any media outlet. That unfortunately includes all of us on this board to some extent.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Buckybadger wrote:
    Unfortunately the media will be all over this as it’s going to bring viewers, division, and attention that the industry thrives on.

I agree to an extent that the media are vultures. However, they write/broadcast/blog what sells. The American people are not victims of the media, they are as culpable as any media outlet. That unfortunately includes all of us on this board to some extent.

Valid point. I agree 100%. The media wouldn’t cover things the way they do if we weren’t all willing to consume it.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Beast wrote:</div>

Any particular reason why you think that jurors performing their civic duty signifies a lack of intelligence? I disagree completely.
    Our justice system is supposed to work exactly how this trial is so far being conducted. Innocence or guilt is supposed to be decided by a jury of our peers.

Why don’t we just let the trial play out and keep preconceived judgements out of our discussions.

I maybe don’t understand the process. How could they find jurors who weren’t prejudiced one way or another? My lord it’s been all over radio, tv, newspapers for months. There isn’t a rock big enough in the state to hide under and not have heard something about this.

I hope the process works as it should and both sides get a fair trial.

I did not know it was going to be broadcast on live TV.

Beast

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Beast wrote:</div>

It was a joke, maybe a poor one, but a joke none the less, I have do my jury duty many times, Some people live to get on a jury, must give them a sense of power or something to determine someones fate.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The American people are not victims of the media, they are as culpable as any media outlet. That unfortunately includes all of us on this board to some extent.

I strongly disagree with you on this point. But this is not the place for debate.

Deuces

IDO has been a good place of refuge from this crap.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

IDO has been a good place of refuge from this crap.

Still will be if you bypass the topic

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Dutchboy – You know vary well its against the rules.
    But just like you and SOME others I hope its allowed to continue as long as people don’t start to get personal.
    Personally my opinion is I don’t think this Trial, or any other trial should be broadcast live or broadcast at all. The only people who are to decide the outcome are the Jurors. Thus they are the only ones who needs to witness it. I also don’t think in any situation that Jurors names should ever be released or pictures shown ( I believe in this trial their names are to be released at a later time ) I don’t know how knowing that the world is going to know who they are is not going to effect the decision they are going to be asked to make. To me this is putting people doing their civil duty at a needless risk to their lives. Once again this is nothing other than MY opinion and others are entitled to their opinions.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eelpoutguy wrote:</div>
    #6 braid

Hahahaha what about 8efe28aeba5bfd44?

I think that’s scientific notation for the poundage of walleyes being netted out of Mille Lacs with early ice out this season.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

mrgreen I cant believe this thread has stayed civil this long!!!
    Wait till some people get off work and start drinking. jester

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 327 total)

The topic ‘Confused, mad, embarrassed, intrigued’ is closed to new replies.