998 hd si help

• Flathead Fever
    robbinsdale mn

I have a 998 hd si that I bought this spring. All has been good until a week or two ago. I’m having trouble with the sonar reading, what I call a double bottom. Depth is all over the place. I have been through the Humminbird trouble shooting promblems list. Good voltage, no other electronics on, problem with and without engine running, good connections, sonar puck mounted same way as when it worked great. I downloaded the latest software today with no change in symptoms. Also I have to hold the power button juuuussstt right to get it to power down……. did I get a lemon?

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

I have been having the same problem with my 597 on the bow using minn kota US2. Haven’t found a solution yet. I hope some one here does.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

@jessehart05

I don’t know that you necessarily have a lemon with regards to the double echo as I’ve run into this on every HB unit I’ve had at the bow. To me it seems like the problem shows up when I’m over a particular bottom content or depth but I just haven’t pinned it down to know the cause. Here’s another thread on the issue with a work around to get rid of the double echo that has worked for me in the past.

Humminbird Double Echo

Flathead Fever
    robbinsdale mn

I’ll have to check out that other topic… thanks. When ever I have my double echo say, 10FOW it show the contour 2 times and shows 20 FOW.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ll have to check out that other topic… thanks. When ever I have my double echo say, 10FOW it show the contour 2 times and shows 20 FOW.

That’s not exactly the issue I run into. When mine looses bottom contact I’ll see a double or even triple echo but the depth reading goes nuts. The last time it happened I think I was in a little over 10 foot of water but the depth reading was something like 609 feet.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.