What’s the A Rodge situation?

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

First, you have to remember that Schefter admittedly fabricated a “breaking news story” around the draft then admitted it was just some conclusions he had made without any real factual evidence. Yes, Rodgers is pissed and was pissed. However, Schefter lost a ton of credibility by just throwing things out there to see what would stick to a headline without any sources.

This is not true, Schefter only released his story after PA said the same thing that morning. Schefter is in the scoop business, so had he sat on the story longer he would have lost the scoop, which is what he’s paid to do.

For the shut up and play guys, you have to remember the NFL stands for Not For Long, teams cut players (ending the contract) and restructure contracts ALL THE TIME, literally one bad year or injury and that contract is out the window. So when players have leverage or don’t feel like they’re being treated right, they use it. Doesn’t make them a bad person, that’s just the way their business is structured.

Rodgers plays a position that All Time Greatness is measured in championships. He has one, while his contemporaries have multiple (Brady, both Mannings, Roethlisberger, and likely Mahomes will). He believes, rightly so imo, that the Packers have not done enough to put a championship team around him. Their defense has been marginal at best most of his career, they’ve had about 3 years of a decent running game, and likely most importantly in his mind they haven’t even attempted to get him top end receivers to throw to. They’ve made the NFC Chamionship 4 times in the last 7 seasons, and have added 1 WR in the top 3 rounds over that time frame, Ty Montgomery, who ended up being a flex RB/WR. They’ve done nothing since drafting Davante Adams in 2014 to help their biggest asset, and Rodgers signed his contract with the last front office. So the backup QB and 3rd string RB were just the straw that broke the camels back, and then this years draft (one 3rd round WR, in arguably the best WR draft ever) was just salt in the wound.

p.s. And yes I hope he gets out of the Tundra, he’d look great in Purple once the Cousins era is up in two years!

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

If Rodgers sits out camp, it will be delightful to watch the drama. If Rodgers comes back and they lose a game or two and/or he doesn’t play well, it will be delightful to watch the drama. This will hang over GB like a stink cloud all season.

If I were the Packers, I’d trade him and get a kings ransom for him (ala Herschel Walker trade). He’s got some years left, but the odds of his play going down are much greater than the odds of his play staying the same or getting better. Or his odds of getting hurt.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

So we should have some “news” in 5 days whether he reports to camp or not? What’s the over / under on him showing up? LOL

lindyrig79

Front page of NFL . Com says extension talks between Packers and Davante Adam’s are “off” and “in a bad place” regarding discussions. Wonder if the QB situation has anything to do with it ??

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

Sounds like Adam’s issue is the Hopkins contract at $22M per year. He wants more and the Packers don’t want to recognize Hopkins’ contract in their negotiations with Adams.

Just keeps getting better and better! )

Beast

You can’t pay more than what you going to take in, after a covid year and no gate money even more so. and when you’re shelling out big money already in contracts that are in place, it will put any NFL team in between a rock and a hard place.I’m not against cutting ties with Rodgers or Adams on Packer terms, rebuilding isn’t a bad thing, Lions, Bears and Vikings have been doing it for years. woot

lindyrig79

Dak Prescott signed a 4 yr / $160 M deal this off-season? $40 M per year? Wow

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Salary cap for each team in 2020 $198M, 2021 $187M, and 2022 is projected at $208M.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

One could argue Brady had even less help from his pass catchers and won a bunch of ships. Arodge is a super smart dude and whatever rift that occurred, he is playing by his rules.
    Maybe he had asked for help at receiver for years and kept getting ignored? They did sign Funchess last year but he opted out due to covid. They were rumored to trade for Fuller last year before he got popped for PED’s. I think he is still butthurt from that Jordan Love pick and things just snowballed from there.

bigpike

I’ve been fortunate enough to enjoy 30 years of great quarterback play as a fan of the Packers. Basically my entire adult life. But I still have memories of the suck that was the 70s and 80s.

Brett Favre was and still is king. He was everything we ever wanted in a quarterback. Country boy, loves to hunt and fish. Played with reckless abandon. But in the end as age caught up he wasn’t sure about his future in Green Bay. Lots of drama later he was traded. He even ended up in rival Minnesota. But his HOF career is all about Green Bay.

The packers had the good fortune of drafting Rodgers and letting him sit a few years behind the legend. Rodgers is polar opposite of Favre. A cali boy who enjoys Scotch. Cant say I ever related to him on a personal level like I did with Favre.

Both QBs are first ballet HOF players. Both won multiple MVP’s and 1 super bowl. A great run for us fans unparalleled in sports. 30 years of generally great quarterback play and lots of winning.

As Rodgers pushes his way out I dont have a problem with it overall. That’s the way these things go. The player gets older. Prioritys change in there lives.

Love is the next man up. Maybe he sucks, maybe hes real good. The 30 years of consistent winning might be over. Tough to say at this point. Either way I appreciate the run and maybe the third g.m. pulls the third rabbit out of his hat. Wolf got Favre, Thompson got Rodgers now Gutenkist got Love. Imagine the dismay of our rivals if its 3 for 3! I have my popcorn and I’m ready for the play out. I wish Rodgers the best no matter the outcome. 15 or so season’s of great football play from him earns my respect.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

bigpike
    You mean Love not Hundley I think.

ThunderLund78

Profootballtalk.com is saying that several major sports books a reportedly now bracing for a retirement announcement next week.

As a Vikings fan, I think this is by far the best outcome.

Crossing my fingers

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Profootballtalk.com is saying that several major sports books a reportedly now bracing for a retirement announcement next week.

As a Vikings fan, I think this is by far the best outcome.

Crossing my fingers

as a vikings fan………..i’ve seen more backup QB’s burn the Vikings then i care to remember!!!! doah doah

Sylvanboat

… rebuilding isn’t a bad thing, Lions, Bears and Vikings have been doing it for years. woot

Bears have been rebuilding for decades. We may even get there someday.

lindyrig79

I’ve been fortunate enough to enjoy 30 years of great quarterback play as a fan of the Packers. Basically my entire adult life. But I still have memories of the suck that was the 70s and 80s.

Brett Favre was and still is king. He was everything we ever wanted in a quarterback. Country boy, loves to hunt and fish. Played with reckless abandon. But in the end as age caught up he wasn’t sure about his future in Green Bay. Lots of drama later he was traded. He even ended up in rival Minnesota. But his HOF career is all about Green Bay.

The packers had the good fortune of drafting Rodgers and letting him sit a few years behind the legend. Rodgers is polar opposite of Favre. A cali boy who enjoys Scotch. Cant say I ever related to him on a personal level like I did with Favre.

Both QBs are first ballet HOF players. Both won multiple MVP’s and 1 super bowl. A great run for us fans unparalleled in sports. 30 years of generally great quarterback play and lots of winning.

As Rodgers pushes his way out I dont have a problem with it overall. That’s the way these things go. The player gets older. Prioritys change in there lives.

Love is the next man up. Maybe he sucks, maybe hes real good. The 30 years of consistent winning might be over. Tough to say at this point. Either way I appreciate the run and maybe the third g.m. pulls the third rabbit out of his hat. Wolf got Favre, Thompson got Rodgers now Gutenkist got Love. Imagine the dismay of our rivals if its 3 for 3! I have my popcorn and I’m ready for the play out. I wish Rodgers the best no matter the outcome. 15 or so season’s of great football play from him earns my respect.

I have to agree with most of this. Favre is a Legend in my book, could only hope the Vikings will have ONE QB as good as either in my lifetime

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigpike wrote:</div>

I have to agree with most of this. Favre is a Legend in my book, could only hope the Vikings will have ONE QB as good as either in my lifetime

Lindy, you forget about Ponder or Jackson. devil mrgreen

ThunderLund78

as a vikings fan………..i’ve seen more backup QB’s burn the Vikings then i care to remember!!!! doah doah

This I can not argue! rotflol

catmando
    wis

38 years old, lose a year of playing time, payback 35 million to the pack, lose 35 to 40 million by not playing this year. And IF he wants to come back he would still be under the contract he signed with the Packers. If I was a betting man I would say he plays. DK.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

38 years old, lose a year of playing time, payback 35 million to the pack, lose 35 to 40 million by not playing this year. And IF he wants to come back he would still be under the contract he signed with the Packers. If I was a betting man I would say he plays. DK.

Yes but this way everybody is talking about him. Wondering what he will do.

In the meantime Brady is collecting yet another Super Bowl ring.

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

Even if Rodgers and Adams *do* play this year in GB…can you imagine the distraction level? What happens if they don’t play well? What happens if one of them gets hurt? What happens if GB loses a couple in a row? What happens if Adams is a holdout and Rodgers comes back (or some flavor of vice-versa)?

No matter how this goes down, it will be an everyday distraction for the entire team. Tough to imagine that the two highest paid stars on the team will garner much in the way of sympathy or support (down deep, not what is said to media) from the other 50 guys who don’t make as much and are impacted negatively by the upcoming media circus.

It’s setting up to be a lot of fun to watch – I believe that GB reports Tuesday 7/27 for camp.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

If I was a betting man I would say he plays. DK.

Vegas sports books have stopped taking all bets in the NFC North games until Wed. Just reading between the lines, probably going to retire…. coffee

-J.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Who knows what’s going to happen but why would he post pics of him working out with Bakhtiari if he is going to retire? I personally think he will be back for one more year.

lindyrig79

It’s a massive game of chicken. If he doesn’t show maybe the Packers should trade for DeShaun Watson ?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It’s a massive game of chicken. If he doesn’t show maybe the Packers should trade for DeShaun Watson ?

Watson is unhappy in Houston but will report to training camp this week to avoid costly fines.

I think the Packers Mgmt and coaches are prepared for the Jordan Love era is A-Rodge decides to sit out. Not sure what Davante Adams would do but certainly his production would go down if that’s the case.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

With 22 legal & civil cases hanging over his head Watson might be more entertaining than Erin.

Be interesting if GB holds onto his rights and refuses to trade him away. Ol Erin might have played his last NFL game.

Well at least he has won 1 Super Bowl, as many as Flacco, Johnson, Dilfer and others. Not bad but not in the elite quarterback status he thinks he belongs in.

catmando
    wis

From what I just read he will play for the pack this year…..Go figure!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Haha yes, so now is he really disgruntled or just wanted everyone talking about him for a few months? Probably both rotflol

Beast

Looks like Viking fans dreams dashed again. sooner or later A-ROD will be gone, life will go on, happens to every team…BUT NOT THIS YEAR, yay

LabDaddy1

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>catmando wrote:</div>

Haha yes, so now is he really disgruntled or just wanted everyone talking about him for a few months? Probably both rotflol

Definitely both 🤣

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 236 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.