2001 mercury rectifier/regulator

• poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Slightly used, any takers. . . .

At least now I know why it seemed like my starting battery wasn’t getting any charge from the outboard.

Break
    Out
    Another
    Thousand

Attachments:
    1. 20240522_213108-1-scaled.jpg

2. 20240522_213108-scaled.jpg

Iowaboy1

Poomunk, I see that too often, most likely the stator is gone too, this is caused by an incorrect battery, dead battery, corroded cables or connections.
    Like any charging system, it is designed to maintain a battery, not charge a dead one.
    What I mean by incorrect battery is: AGM, maintenance free, a dry cell like an optima battery or a lithium battery, the internal resistance of those types of batteries is too high and the charging system thinks it is sensing a dead battery and will burn itself out trying to charge it even though it is actually fine.

Make sure everything is right or you will burn it out again in short order.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Poomunk, I see that too often, most likely the stator is gone too, this is caused by an incorrect battery, dead battery, corroded cables or connections.
    Like any charging system, it is designed to maintain a battery, not charge a dead one.
    What I mean by incorrect battery is: AGM, maintenance free, a dry cell like an optima battery or a lithium battery, the internal resistance of those types of batteries is too high and the charging system thinks it is sensing a dead battery and will burn itself out trying to charge it even though it is actually fine.

Make sure everything is right or you will burn it out again in short order.

Maintenence free, never would have guessed that (exactly what I’ve had in there). Attempted a resistance test on the stator last night but my meter is nonwhere near accurate enough to be useful. Was planning on pulling it outside so I can put the muffs on and run it to do a voltage test.

Do you know where I might find the current replacement part # for the stator assuming it’s garbage too? Usually for discontinued original part numbers places like boats.net have the current part that replaced it, on the stator though all I’ve found is that the original is discontinued and no replacement listed.
    Thanks

Iowaboy1

Send me your motor serial number in a PM.

Iowaboy1

Call me in the morning,there are 3 choices for the stator.
    641 526 3060.

Iowaboy1

Andy,,as of yet to my knowledge, An outboard charging system that use alternators are not capable of charging lithium batteries that I am aware of.

And honestly,in my opinion if you need a lithium battery for starting?
    You are taxing that system too highly to begin with.
    And I have to mention,too many times here I have read about people biatching about graphs dying when their battery voltage goes below 11.5 volts,WELL FRIGGING DUH!! The dang battery has been dead since it reached 12.4 volts!!!!

And they wonder why the big motor wont start???
    Really???

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Call me in the morning,there are 3 choices for the stator.
    641 526 3060.

Thanks, I did pull it outside this evening and did a live test, consistently got 16.3 ACV at idle. Slightly low but possibly just my cheap tester. I’d think that means this one (so far) is still functioning wouldn’t it? (I know just enough to be dangerous with this stuff)

isu22andy

Andy,,as of yet to my knowledge, An outboard charging system that use alternators are not capable of charging lithium batteries that I am aware of.

And honestly,in my opinion if you need a lithium battery for starting?
    You are taxing that system too highly to begin with.
    And I have to mention,too many times here I have read about people biatching about graphs dying when their battery voltage goes below 11.5 volts,WELL FRIGGING DUH!! The dang battery has been dead since it reached 12.4 volts!!!!

And they wonder why the big motor wont start???
    Really???

Haha – they “claim “ the mother board in the batteries convert the voltage from the outboard into useable power to charge or maintain the lithiums just as if it was a lead acid . Personally I’m not buying the lithium hype just yet . Maybe in a few years .

Iowaboy1

Lets add a few other issues I have with lithium besides burning whatever to the ground,sorry folks, I dont buy the hype thats a thing of the past,a tiger is a tiger regardless of how you paint it.
    So,with that,lithium is one of thee most dangerous things on this planet to mine,to the earth and to to the workers.
    Now,lets add lithium is used as a physchotic med and has been proven to alter the mental states of all living species.

How many lithium powered phones are at the bottom of millie alone??, lets see now,I remember at least 2 dozen Ive read about here alone
    Lets add a few camper batteries when one sinks,now boat batteries when one sinks,oops,read about several fish finders that were left on the ice when a sheet of ice broke lose and the gear was left behind.

Sure,acid is nasty too but 2 tablespoons of soda neutralizes it instantly concerning a standard battery,and,water dilutes it easily as well.
    Lithium,safe for anything or anyone??
    Nope,period.
    Better and safer tech is out there,I will wait while trolling with my lead acid battery that ALL known risks are accounted for.

Oh,and for the record?? I had a 12 volt lead acid battery blow up 10 inches from my face years ago,I was very close to losing my vision and would have if water wasnt 20 feet away,if it had been lithium??
    Yep,water accelerates the fire because it creates hydrogen gas when water is poured on it.

Iowaboy1

Lets add a few other issues I have with lithium besides burning whatever to the ground,sorry folks, I dont buy the hype thats a thing of the past,a tiger is a tiger regardless of how you paint it.
    So,with that,lithium is one of thee most dangerous things on this planet to mine,to the earth and to to the workers.
    Now,lets add lithium is used as a physchotic med and has been proven to alter the mental states of all living species.

How many lithium powered phones are at the bottom of millie alone??, lets see now,I remember at least 2 dozen Ive read about here alone
    Lets add a few camper batteries when one sinks,now boat batteries when one sinks,oops,read about several fish finders that were left on the ice when a sheet of ice broke lose and the gear was left behind.

Sure,acid is nasty too but 2 tablespoons of soda neutralizes it instantly concerning a standard battery,and,water dilutes it easily as well.
    Lithium,safe for anything or anyone??
    Nope,period.
    Better and safer tech is out there,I will wait while trolling with my lead acid battery that ALL known risks are accounted for.

Oh,and for the record?? I had a 12 volt lead acid battery blow up 10 inches from my face years ago,I was very close to losing my vision and would have if water wasnt 20 feet away,if it had been lithium??
    Yep,water accelerates the fire because it creates hydrogen gas when water is poured on it.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

My Merc 150 4 stroke blew a rectifier a few years ago with about 150 hours. Like Sheldon said, a lot of what I read pointed out that starting batteries don’t get fully charged in most cases by the little bit we run the outboard. Taxing the alternator. Especially when running graphs/accessories off the same starting battery. I’ve since added a separate house battery and have them all connected to the onboard charger which gets plugged in after every outing. Hoping I don’t have that issue again.

hillhiker
    SE MN

There’s a reason why engine manufacturers specifically call out what batteries are acceptable, only putting critical loads on the engine battery, and installing a house battery with a isolator for all the extras. Unlike what you often times read on this site, if you’re having issues with your cranking battery going dead, just adding the biggest dual purpose you can for cranking battery is not always the answer.

Andy, As far as Merc is concerned lithium batteries are ok for certain engines if the batteries meet specific specs. There is a service bulletin that outlines this. When checking to see if Lithium batteries are OK start with the recommendation from the the engine manufacturer not the battery company. They just want to sell batteries…

mojogunter

That isn’t the case with all battery companies. Amped Outdoors does state on their site they don’t recommend their batteries for starting, and gives a good explanation of why. That makes me respect them more than other companies that say otherwise.

the battery company. They just want to sell batteries…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.