Yamaha Outboard Issue

• slough

Have a 2001 100 hp Yamaha that intermittently will not turn off when I turn the key. I’ve had the boat about 6 years and it maybe did it 1 or 2 times a year but this year it seems to be doing it almost every trip, usually after the first run of the day. Previous owner is a friend and mentioned it back when I bought the boat. I have to let it idle for about 15 minutes and then it will turn off, then it seems to work properly the rest of the day. Not a huge issue but obviously would be if it continued to become more common. I’d hate to be loading at a busy ramp and have it happen. Just curious of any ideas before I talk to a mechanic. @Iowaboy1 ?

CaptainMusky

That is an interesting situation never heard of that before. I wonder if it is trying to make sure the engine cools down first? Have you searched any other online forums for the same issue?

isu22andy

What happens when you pull the kill lanyard ? You pull your key ignition yet and look at the connections ?

slough

Kill switch has no effect the couple times I’ve tried. Haven’t looked at connections, not sure what I’d be looking for.

This thread is pretty much the first research I’ve done.

Iowaboy1

You have either lost ground to the kill circuit or the kill wire is broken between the CDI unit and harness.
    I would be checking the harness where it bends when you tilt the motor up, under any clamps or tight spots looking for a broken/corroded wire.

I dont have a wiring diagram in front of me for that motor, but I will try to help later, gotta get a fellow members boat done for tomorrow or he is going to shoot me.

slough

You have either lost ground to the kill circuit or the kill wire is broken between the CDI unit and harness.
    I would be checking the harness where it bends when you tilt the motor up, under any clamps or tight spots looking for a broken/corroded wire.

I dont have a wiring diagram in front of me for that motor, but I will try to help later, gotta get a fellow members boat done for tomorrow or he is going to shoot me.

Googled it this morning and it seemed like this was the most common answer. Is this a pretty cheap fix if I bring it in? I’m not too confident in my own ability to fix this. Appreciate the replies!!

Iowaboy1

Sorry I dont give estimates,its time and materials,however here is what I do,
    Shop rate is 120 hour,If I cant find it in that hour,I will quit there and call you and discuss what to do from there.
    Seeing as how we are dealing with a single issue,performing 2 continuity checks shouldnt take very long.

I am in Kellogg Iowa,dont know how far of a drive that is for you.

slough

Sorry I guess I wasn’t trying to imply that I would bring it to your shop, I’m in ND so a bit far. Was just curious on a general price for it, but it doesn’t sound like too expensive of a fix. Thanks for the info and have a good weekend.

AlwaysFishing23

I had that exact same issue. Turns out it was a ground issue.

slough

Figured I’d update, took it in yesterday and mechanic said they found a loose wire connection that when they totally unhooked it would replicate the issue. So, hopefully that was all, we’ll see.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.