What a bunch of bolony!

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

If they tailed on the destruction of rain forests and forests in general, might take it more seriously. You can’t lose as much rainforests as we have and not expect climates and global weather patterns not to change drastically.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Because an engineer needs a statistical benchmark, however the benchmark is a moving target due to a lack/changing data.
    The world is in a perpetual state of change, it always has and always will be. That’s why the “sky is falling” theory is a misnomer.

Now, if we want to discuss the hypocrisy of the “global warming hoax” let’s do that in a fish house/boat over a few cold ones. toast

The 100-year flood level can change

Since the 100-year flood level is statistically computed using past, existing data, as more data comes in, the level of the 100-year flood will change (especially if a huge flood hits in the current year). As more data are collected, or when a river basin is altered in a way that affects the flow of water in the river, scientists re-evaluate the frequency of flooding. Dams and urban development are examples of some man-made changes in a basin that affect floods, as shown in the charts below.

So why do engineers use 100 and 500 year calculations to determine culvert size and flow rates for structures?
    [/quote]

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

This is the real problem…….

It doesn’t take a scientist or politician to see what’s happening.

If this simple chart doesn’t scare the hell out of you I don’t know what will.

Consumers consume…..

Tic-Toc…. Mother Funker

Bman,
    Now that scares me and I totally agree with you on that. My thoughts are are Mom nature will balance the scales at some point. Probably with some type of pandemic.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sji wrote:</div>
    Winter of 2018-2019 record snowfall. 2019 record rainfall. First Monday of Oct 2019 record high temp and today it is snowing enough its stuck to the grass and this is in southern Mn. What is it you can see that I cant?

That’s weather not climate change. Two very different things.

We seem to talk about this issue every few months on this forum….climate change, pollution, environmental management, etc. I think most outdoors people believe in protecting our environment. The problem with reading the stuff on the internet is it all has bias…conscious and unconscious. Most people are writing these articles to serve their cause. Some of it is laughable.

There is nothing wrong with addressing pollution and reliance on fossil fuels or cleaning up the plastic in the ocean, etc. But, the alarmists in the media do no good for anyone.

I think this is a pretty decent summation of the issue. Understandable and very much to the point regarding the alarmists in the media.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Here’s a nice little video on how much the Earth has changed…and this was all WITHOUT man here.

The Earth is ALWAYS changing. Could you imagine the scare if man was alive (high intelligence) during the continental shifts???

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Seems like every political subject has its alarmist or groups on the outside fringe. What I find kinda funny how the fringe gets the spot light from supporting their cause to using the fringe to discount the subject at hand. I choose to make my own decision on a subject and not focus on what that fringed is saying.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>B-man wrote:</div>
    This is the real problem…….

It doesn’t take a scientist or politician to see what’s happening.

If this simple chart doesn’t scare the hell out of you I don’t know what will.

Consumers consume…..

Tic-Toc…. Mother Funker

Bman,
    Now that scares me and I totally agree with you on that. My thoughts are are Mom nature will balance the scales at some point. Probably with some type of pandemic.

Bman’s chart shouldn’t scare anyone. Like anything, you can cherry pick your sources to fit your agenda.

Here’s another chart, doesn’t look scary at all…

Attachments:
    1. popchart.png

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

So where do we go from here. The OP chery picked to make a point.i don’t discount his view as I want to learn but his way I learned nothing.

B-man

The growth “rate” is slowing…..but the population is still going up….

Don’t kid yourself.

Check back with me when the population is back down to 7,000,000,000 (not happening any time soon).

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Don’t kid yourself.

Check back with me when the population is back down to 7,000,000,000 (not happening any time soon).

By the time population is back down to 7,000,000,000 , I’ll be dead and I won’t care. blush

Yes, I know that is a cavalier (adjective) response, but I won’t be alarmed by the “alarmists”. mad

Grandstanding is what it is…something to shout about (and another reason to stage protests), check BBC and the UK.

Go back and read Bigpike’s post on page one of this thread.

If any of those predictions happened, you, me, and anyone else wouldn’t be around to waste our time now on today’s nonsense… roll

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Its entertainment, twisted as it is. It’s like a guy that looks like a cartoon basset hound can be such a good qb.:))

DTW

There is more data that is actually changed than cherry picked

Attachments:
    1. Actual-versus-adjusted-temp.png

B-man

The global population increases by over 80,000,000 EVERY YEAR.

To put that number into prospective, New York is the most populated city in the US.

Every year our population goes up enough TO FILL NEW YORK 10 TIMES OVER.

Think of the resources it takes to run that city for a day…..now make that 10 fold….year after year after year. That’s just the increase, not counting the other 7,690,000,000 people already here.

Humans are a plague to the planet. One day she will return the favor.

The late Albert Bartlett laid the issues out clearly in his book, The Essential Exponential. Population growth at any level eventually results in population doublings that occur far too quickly to consider sustainable. Further, the mandate of sufficient monetary and debt growth to allow capitalism to proceed without hiccups compounds the resource grabs further.

slawrenz
    Twin Cities

What B-Man says is accurate.

Populations in ecosystems are cyclical and explode, outstrip their resources (normally food) and then die off. Humanity has, through technology, been able to expand more than any other species, but do not kid yourselves, there is a limit to what this planet can support. I have no idea what that limit is, but the planet will eventually let us know.

B-man

Right now, if the Earth’s population met at the equator and formed a human chain…..(average of 5′ wingspan)…..there would be enough people to wrap around the planet….

291 TIMES!

There would be a row of people two football fields deep……all the way around.

blank

B-man,
    I think we understand that the global population growth is out of control and worrisome. But what are you getting at?

B-man

B-man,
    I think we understand that the global population growth is out of control and worrisome. But what are you getting at?

There won’t be any loons in 100 years anyway (we’ll have eaten them all) doah

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>blank wrote:</div>
    B-man,

There won’t be any loons in 100 years anyway (we’ll have eaten them all) doah

I was wondering when we were going to get back on topic applause

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Speaking of loons. I was out on the Lake last Sunday trolling back to the dock and I passed a flock of 75 loons swimming around. Never saw anything like that before in my life. Would it actually be a flock of loons or is there another name for that?

blank

What do you call a flock of loons?
    A group of loons has many collective nouns, including an “asylum”, “cry”, “loomery”, “raft”, and “water dance” of loons.
    Common Loon – Whatbird.com
    https://identify.whatbird.com › obj › common_loon

I’ve noticed that they really raft up in the late summer/fall, and especially this year’s hatchlings since their parents ditch them and fly south before them.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

There won’t be any loons in 100 years anyway (we’ll have eaten them all)

Mmmmm, loon baloney.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

This! And not a Loon pandemic. coffee

My thoughts are are Mom nature will balance the scales at some point. Probably with some type of pandemic.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

If any of those predictions happened, you, me, and anyone else wouldn’t be around to waste our time now on today’s nonsense… roll

I do think we miiiiight want to consider the possibility that technology and science has evolved/improved significantly since 1970.

You know, the fact that incorrect predictions were made in the past isn’t a stone cold case that related predictions 50 years later are false.

By that logic, I don’t trust my pulmonologist today, because doctor’s used to recommend cigarrettes in the 50s.

I’ll stay away from everything else in this so called conversation, but wanted to point out this is terrible logic for not believing in climate change.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walleyestudent Andy Cox wrote:</div>

I do think we miiiiight want to consider the possibility that technology and science has evolved/improved significantly since 1970.

You know, the fact that incorrect predictions were made in the past isn’t a stone cold case that related predictions 50 years later are false.

I’ll stay away from everything else in this so called conversation, but wanted to point out this is terrible logic for not believing in climate change.

Those that choose to ignore history…
    …are doomed to repeat it. blush

Just like today’s doomsayers, no different than 1970.

I know, that’s a simplified response on my part…but there’s always some truth to it.

I think we miiiiight want to consider the possibility that technology and science will have evolved/improved significantly in 2070. What do you think?

I think there’ll be another “agenda” to protest about then, and we’ll be laughing about this one. BTW, did you know that some now call it “climate crisis” rather than climate change?

And myself (and other’s) never denied that the climate isn’t changing…it is!

I’m just not ready to believe we’re in a “climate crisis”, am I being illogical?

Don’t misinterpret, I certainly do not advocate we trash the planet…I do support many initiatives to improve mother earth.

Perhaps my antipathy about a lot of this is that it seems to fuel protests. There has always been a “collective” that will protest anything…that being they know little of what they’re protesting.

But to protest because of a rebellious mindset.

Perhaps it comes down to my childhood in the 1960’s when the “hippies” were not only protesting “the establishment”, but the Viet Nam conflict.

We all know how the many victims of those protests were shell-shocked, amputated, disabled young Americans. Sad chapter in American history. sad

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

One thing is for certain….nothing you, I , or anyone else can do today to change what is happening today with regard to the weather or climate. May as well relax and give this some serious thought, then maybe offer up a solution to the dilemma for your great-grandkids’ sake. Until then fish will be fish, loons will be loons and the scare-tactic crew will go on bringing distress to many. Go fishing or go hunting. Relax. I swear, some of you would cut your own nuts off to make a point.

catmando
    wis

As George Carlin stated, this old world will be fine, it’s the human race that will be gone.

Charles

Yeah Bull Crap.

eelpoutguy – you should happy that Crosslake is getting a loon center because loons are a rare sight in Crosslake lol.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.