pool 4 newbie

• hoytpower
    buffalo county, wi

reading all of these post and seeing the pics has me wanting to ditch the ice and get the boat out. I have never fished up in that neck of the river before. Can you guys help me out a bit. Also how is the landing at Everts for geting a boat in and out with one guy.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

It’s no different than unloading in the summer. Your best bet for the hot bite is to talk to Steve when you launch, he’ll get you on the fish.

hoytpower
    buffalo county, wi

pretty easy to launch by yourself then? not one of those 20ft ramps that drop 30ft in elevation full of potholes and rocks…..from what i hear the ramp is always in good shape just wondering about docks to tie off to, parking and stuff like that

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

One of the three ramps has a dock next to it.

I was down there yesterday admiring what great shape they are in for January. Thank you Steve and Mother Nature.

Here’s a beginners guide to catching fish this time of year.

I’ll add or re enforce a couple things.

1. When jigging in cool water…”less is more”.
    2. If your line doesn’t go straight down into the water you’ll seldom catch a fish.
    3. Wear your PFD. It doesn’t make you less of a man to wear one.
    4. Go out with a friend if at all possible.
    5. There is no reason to run your motor at WOT. Plan ahead, take your time motoring to the Y or the dam area. Enjoy the scenery on the way. The fish will still be there whether it takes you two minutes or 10 minutes to boat up there.

Check out this fishing report Super Doo’s for Beginners<<

Check in with Steve or Kari for a map if your new to the area. There’s a few wing dams to watch out for and they can point you to the best most current bite.

Here’s Steve’s broad backed 28 inch fish from the other day.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

3. Wear your PFD. It doesn’t make you less of a man to wear one.

Knowing that you wear one all the time Brian has people questioning that statement.

scott-k
    Red Wing

The Everts ramp is super easy to do by yourself…back down a well-sanded ramp. Back of the boat will be floating in the water and you can then unhook the nose. Use a lead rope and pull it 5 feet to the dock. Tie up on other side of dock so you don’t block the ramp. Pull out slow, let trailer water drain on the water edge. Go park. Go fish. Easy peezy, lemon squeezy.

Bunks will ice up from water on them. Be certain the boat nose is hooked up before you pull out after loading.

I use the spray product in the orange can…jig-a-loo… on ALL steering and on trolling motor post. Keeps the ice off.

BK nailed everything else.

fishim
    Minnesota

Keep an eye out for floating ice chunks, they can be hard to see sometimes. Remember selective harvest and if your fishing in 30’+ reel them in slow or you may be feeding the eagles. Have fun be safe!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.