8 vs. 10lb hi vis line for pitching

• wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

Went out shopping for some hi vis mono line and ended up getting an 8 lb spool and 10 lb spool. I wanted 8lb based on previous feedback here on IDO, the 10 lb purchase was a mistake. I also didn’t realize the mistake until I had two reels filled with the 10lb. line.

Question for you pitching fanatics, would you leave it on or pull it off and put on the 8lb?

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

i like 8lb test better more limp and a smaller diameter really helps when your casting jigs/plastics. you dont really lose any line strength going from 8lb to 10lb.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Not that it couldn’t be done… but you may be pulling it off… or spooling it onto a crank bait rod and reel set up..

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I have never used more than 6# and many times 4# for Walleye Sauger pitching jigs… Cortland Endurance is still my favorite in hot Tangerine…only from Dean’s Tackle Box

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

Quote:

I have never used more than 6# and many times 4# for Walleye Sauger pitching jigs… Cortland Endurance is still my favorite in hot Tangerine…only from Dean’s Tackle Box

X2

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Only 6lb here too

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I’d give it a try before you take it off.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

X2

X3 – heavier is to stiff in cold weather.

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

thanks for the input.
    I respooled one reel with 8 and left the other with 10lb. I left the rods out in the backyard overnight and gave them a cast this morning. 10lb is going to be way too stiff as you all mentioned. (and it really isn’t that cold yet).

I am going to replace the 10lb with 6lb and try that for this upcomming weekend. 4# just seems way too light for river fishing. But maybe that is why I always seem to get outfished 3 to 1 when pitching.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

My two favorite lines for pitching jigs are 3/8 fireline, and 2/10 power pro. both have excellent hi vis options. I like the Power Pro before it gets real cold and after November I switch to Fireline, seems to repel water better and doesn’t turn into an ice block on me.

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

Otis Eyes, take my & Tom G’s advice “DUMP ” the 8# and spool up with 6# and yes even 4# (which is what I use) the lighter line will have less drag in current and give your bait a faster drop rate…. remember your rod, reel drag and line all work in conjuction with one another….You’ll be happy you did !!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

the lighter line will have less drag in current and give your bait a faster drop rate..

Ok if you are verticle jigging. But the original poster says he is going to be pitching.

I’m still tossing 14 lb P-line and 1/8 to 1/4 oz jigs/plastics on batcaster set up. I want that line to catch current and hover that jig out there rather than any kind of fast drop.

One tip I’d try to do on that new 10lb mono. Go out and give it a good streach. As in take it out in the yard, tie off one end and pull out 100 foot or so and streach it till you think it might break. Then run it behind the boat (nothing tied to the line) and pull out any twist.

-J.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

I agree 100% with Jon on this. I use 8# though and lighter jigs but the catching the current is the key like he said.
    The other day you wouldn’t get bit if it didn’t hover and slow drop.

I have tried 4#-10# mono, fireline and power pro. Thought power pro was where it was at but after watching James one time talk about the benfits of the mono floating the jig I haven’t looked back.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I agree to but there are a lot a variables to which line is right. Rod you are using, jig weight, depth, current, time of year, temperature and so on. Try the line. If it works, great. If not maybe keep it on a back up spool for another application.

For me right now in above freezing temps it 15# power pro, 1.8th ounce jigs pitching in less than 10′ of water. Much of the time it is less than 5′. Below freezing I switch to 8# suffix for the same set up.

I may need to play around with dropping down to 6# and drop my jig weights to 1/16th ounce. Thinking the lighter diameter may keep the distance of my casts up with lighter jigs on. The lighter jig should also let me slow my presentation down more. Guess the big question is do the fish want it slower. They will have to let me know.

redneck
    Rosemount

I go more off line diameter than what pound test it is. I have been using line that is .009 for quite a few years and I am use to it. Some brands that is 6 pound test and some 8 pound test but whatever it is I have a pretty decent idea the drop rate with each weight jig that I use and I can visualize to some extent what it is doing. I have confidence in this set-up and that sometimes makes all the difference in the world. I am a mono guy when it comes to casting and dragging jigs as I feel the lift of the mono slows my drop rate and keeps it in the fish’s face a little longer. It really is all about what works for you though—pick something—get use to it—and believe it will work each and every time you huck a jig out there

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

I have confidence in this set-up and that sometimes makes all the difference in the world.

At the end of the day, that is all that really matters!

-J.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.