Vikings 2024 NFL Draft Post

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

A former GM’s take on Derek Maye.

By Randy Mueller
    Apr 24, 2024

Even after reviewing and dissecting every detail of each player eligible for selection in the 2024 NFL Draft, scouting staffs will still have differences in opinions about prospects.

You can never make everyone in the room completely happy, as feelings and egos get bruised often. There will be pushback. But, for the most part, NFL evaluators check their egos at the door when the final results are displayed on a team’s draft board (I wish I could say the same about social media).

Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina
    Consensus Big Board rank: No. 3

No position generates more interest — and with it, passion — than quarterback, and opinions might vary more this year than in any I can remember. I know NFL people who view Maye and Michigan’s J.J. McCarthy anywhere from worthy of a top-five pick to outside of the first round. The best reason I can offer for the variance is it might depend on which games each evaluator watched.

That being said, I think all of the quarterbacks outside of Caleb Williams this year are, to varying degrees, being overvalued. Outside of Williams, I don’t see any as a lock to be a franchise quarterback, and that includes LSU’s Jayden Daniels. But for the sake of this discussion, I see Maye as the most overvalued.

His biggest asset, and probably what I hear most often as his top redeeming quality, is his size. Clearly, that can’t be argued: 6-foot-4 and 223 pounds is the frame we are all looking for, so you’ll get no dispute there from me.

But the traits that follow are mostly ordinary. That includes processing (questionable decision-making), accuracy (very inconsistent) and his semi-long release, which slows his ability to get the ball out of his hand. And yes, I watched some of the 2022 season as well. I struggled most with the frequency of his misses and his decision-making under pressure.

I think he can improve on some of these things, but it’s going to take time, and it requires a leap of faith that I’m not ready to make. Therefore, I would be nervous about selecting him in the top five. I just don’t see elite traits beyond his measurables.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I like Derek Maye for obvious reasons. wink

The Belle went to Myers Park HS also.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’m not a huge fan of his but I never really watched him play nor do I know Belle. grin

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Well I guess nobody will ever figure that out. Sorry to confuse everybody. smirk

Ripjiggen

Thought it might have been his brother. jester

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Maye and Trubisky are twins.

Still feel good about blowing future high picks for a coin flip? Not me but its not my money and a small chance I’m wrong.

I’m in the BPA at 11 and then move up after that.

Maye at 23 is worth a shot

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think the Vikes will offer the Patriots #11 + #23 + Next year’s 1st rounder as a best offer take it or leave it, if the Pats say no, then the Vikings wait to see what the Giants do at #6, if they pass on a QB then next decision will be to call teams with picks 7-10 to see what it would cost to move up for McCarthy (I think the Vikings will call all 4 of those teams and tell them to call the Vikings back IF they get any offers of interest from the Broncos or Raiders and the Vikings will likely beat that offer) Vikes obviously then decide if the cost is worth it…

IF McCarthy is gone by #11 the Vikings will take Penix (to ensure they get him ahead of the Broncos & Raiders and the 5th year rookie contract option) and then baring what DT or CB are still on the board at #23, likely trade back a few spots from pick #23 to recoup a 2nd or 3rd round pick this draft and then take the BPA with their last 1st round pick…

either way they will come out of tonight’s 1st round with the QB they really wanted or a fallback QB (Penix) and BPA on Defense (Edge, DT or CB)

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I reckon I agree with that take pretty much whole heartedly Joe. Although if they can sit and get JJ at 11 that would be great, but I think that it is pretty well established that Kwesi isn’t going to egregiously overpay to move to 3.

troutbum
    St. Paul

Living in minnesota as a packers fan makes me thankful for Green Bay. The super bowl for the vikings is the draft. Youd be hard pressed to find another group of fans who spends more time talking about “next years draft” than purple fans. Every. Single. Year.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

lose as many games possible and amass as many picks as you can for 2 and 3 years from now and you move sun and the moon to get Arch Manning. If I were a Vikings fan this is what I would want.

CaptainMusky

Living in minnesota as a packers fan makes me thankful for Green Bay. The super bowl for the vikings is the draft. Youd be hard pressed to find another group of fans who spends more time talking about “next years draft” than purple fans. Every. Single. Year.

You forgot to include “as an owner”…

Dan
    Southeast MN

lose as many games possible and amass as many picks as you can for 2 and 3 years from now and you move sun and the moon to get Arch Manning. If I were a Vikings fan this is what I would want.

Ha! That’s gotta be the longest-term strategy I’ve heard yet, although Arch ain’t even starting at Texas yet so we’ll see.

either way they will come out of tonight’s 1st round with a QB and BPA on Defense (Edge, DT or CB)

There’s a very good possibility it’s just the QB.

Would you rather we get into more Israel/Palestine? How about Uncle Joe vs. Donnie? IMO sports are pretty cool because it gives people something to invest a lot of their time and energy into that doesn’t hurt anyone (unless you’re Philly….%$@k Philly). I could send private messages to all the Vikings fans on here if you want to see if anyone’s feelings are hurt but at the ages most of us are at, silly put-downs of a fanbase probably aren’t hurting anyone.

CaptainMusky

silly put-downs of a fanbase probably aren’t hurting anyone.

The Vikings do plenty to hurt us on their own LOL

JoeMX1825
    MN

There’s a very good possibility it’s just the QB.

I think that would be the best outcome if it happens, it means we got the guy KOC really wanted vs settling for whomever falls…

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

My opinion hasn’t wavered even up to draft day…

IF I was a Vikings fan, I’d want them to stay put at #11. New England and AZ are going to want a King’s ransom to move up and will blow all the smoke they can to drive up the cost…and Maye really scares me with his accuracy. I think release, footwork, processing, etc can be dealth with, but teaching a guy to be NFL-caliber accurate is a whole different monster.

I also think McCarthy WILL be there still at #11.

I’d rather ride with Bo Nix or Penix with the later first round pick than move up. Nix is accurate and experienced, but doesn’t have the big arm that Penix, Maye, Williams, and Daniels have. Penix has a cannon AND is very accurate. His biggest flag are his medicals. The Vikings system does not ask for their QB to run, and the OL is much improved. Plus the NFL doesn’t really allow you to touch QBs whatsoever anymore.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I think that would be the best outcome if it happens, it means we got the guy KOC really wanted vs settling for whomever falls…

Seeing a few of the “expert” mock drafts that get released today showing the Vikings picking around 7-9, getting McCarthy, and keeping 23, that would be an A+ situation to get him and not give up 23.

The Vikings do plenty to hurt us on their own LOL

LOL just a tortured state. Upper-level mediocrity hall of fame. Kings of the 1st-round exits and Music City Bowls jester

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Literally every fan base has made the draft into Super Bowl 2.0, including GB. Need to file this one for the Preposterous statement tournament.

Also, just as an FYI Vikings made the Playoffs in 48% of their seasons, which is 3rd all time behind the Cowboys (55%) and Ravens (52%). Packers have made it in 35% of their seasons. This is where you bring up Super Bowls and National Championships against the Duluth Leathernecks. And then I get to tell my favorite GB joke: How many packers fans does it take to change a light bulb? 4. 1 to change it and 3 to talk about how good the old one was. ;-)

either way they will come out of tonight’s 1st round with a QB and BPA on Defense (Edge, DT or CB)

I think this is pretty doubtful. I think it’s QB1 only, or Penix and BPA on defense for the other pick.

If they miss on the QB this year, it’s likely they get a shot at Arch anyway, and with a new coach/GM.

KP
    Hudson, WI

As a NFL owner living in Minnesota this off season has been “Oh so delicious” for me compared to last summer.

But in all seriousness Vikes fans should be hyped up and talking about this draft a ton. This draft will have huge implications on the future for them. If they swing big and trade up and miss its going to be a huge set back. Just look at Carolina last year. But if they hit and resign JJ the team could be really good for the future.

BigWerm I know you love to troll packer fans but I’d rather have Super Bowl wins than being in the playoffs 48% percent of the time and having none. Look who is talking about the past now!

I’m not sold on Love just yet but feel way better about the Packers future than the Queens. Gonna be a fun draft and love how there is so much uncertainty about it tonight, Going to be fun to watch!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

From what I see, this isn’t as big of a draft for the Pack as it is for the Purple.
    I have a couple Packer fans that I do biz with and when I ask them what their pick is they say “dang, not sure”.
    So imho when we are going for a HOF QB, then this is SB 2.0.

Yeah Drake Maye!

Now, where did i put that lawn chair?

KP
    Hudson, WI

Not to keep de-railing this Vikings Post but I think the Packers will be after a DB and OT or Inside Linebacker as top priorities for them.

I just hope trades dont start to happen till the draft starts. My predication is the Vikes dont trade up because the teams above them will be asking for too much. I think JJ will slide to them at 11. One things that was mentioned is the media is hyping a ton of these quarterbacks. So there might not be as much trading up as we think but I hope there is.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have no idea of what the Vikings are going to do. I just hope they don’t F it up. Other than Williams I’m just not sold on any of the other QB’s as far as moving up to get. I guess I’d be fine if they use #11 for McCarthy if he is still available. It sure should be a interesting Draft to watch playout for sure. Probably one of the more interesting ones in a few years.

Walleye Hungry

Trade 3 firsts for Herbert. lol. I wish. Although the betting odds on Chargers taking a QB went from 100-1, 15-1 on tuesday, and 6-1 on wednesday. Do they know something we dont?

Tlazer

No way McCarthy will be available at #11 IMO. Next years QB draft is horrendous from what I am hearing, so I would think this would impact NE and the Giants plans, that this is the year to draft a QB and not wait until next year. You then have the Raiders and Bronco’s that are sitting right behind the Vikes and knowing it wouldn’t take much draft capital to jump the Vikes at #11 if McCarthy starts to fall into the #8-#10 range. So I would think if McCarthy starts to drop, and if the Vikes want to draft him they will have to make a move up. Now the big question is, will the Vikes turn in the card on time or let 2 teams that pick after them jump in front of them.

stout93
    Becker MN

All I say is they better not give up the 2025 first rounder, which more than likely will be a top 10, if not top 5 pick.

Walleye Hungry

All I say is they better not give up the 2025 first rounder, which more than likely will be a top 10, if not top 5 pick.

As vikings fans, we know this is the most probable scenario

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

As vikings fans, we know this is the most probable scenario

Can we hope we over doing things like that. The only way and I’m not saying I think he is for sure NFL ready is Caleb, and I don’t think we could trade up to 1.

Walleye Hungry

I think you have to trade 3 1s to get in the top 5. I hope we stay put and see how the chips fall

eyeguy507
    SE MN

well I believe they dodged a bullet having NE take Maye. i mean the guy came in with a selfie stick! that is a big red flag hah

JJ to JJ would be my dream scenario. lets hope no other team jumps the Vikes now?

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 260 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.