Vikings 2024 NFL Draft Post

• Tlazer

I think they should look long and hard about what the future looks like. Here would be 2 options. See if Arizona be open to trading Murray for one of the first round picks the Vikings have. Arizona needs to start a full rebuild, and having a rookie QB on the roster with an additional first round draft pick would help start their rebuild, plus they have a new coach with no ties to Murray. Second is if your trading away all your picks to move up for a QB, who is probably at least 2-3 years away from leading them into the playoffs, why keep Jefferson on what will be a $30+M dollar contract. Might be better off including him in the trade, thus keeping his huge salary off the books and keeping more of your drafts picks to build around the new QB. Maybe NE, who needs WR would be open for a trade of the #11 pick this year, JJ and possible later round pick for the third pick in the draft. This would still give the Vikings chance at another good player at #23 and getting their QB at #3.

CaptainMusky

You people that want to trade JJ are absolutely nuts.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

See if Arizona be open to trading Murray for one of the first round picks the Vikings have.

No. Kyler Murray is one of the least tradeable assets in the league due to his contract. He has a cap hit of 45/55/43 over the next 3 years if you keep him, which you wouldn’t trade a 1st unless you planned to keep him. And if it’s a Russell Wilson deal and you cut him, you owe 63/20/7 against your cap over the next 3 years.

I doubt the draft works out how all the “experts” predict now, because they are almost always wrong. Trades (plural) into the top 5 will happen, or QB’s will slide (looking at you JJ McCarthy) or guys will go higher than anticipated (Penix or Harrison) or something else no one could have predicted. These next 3 weeks you are better off catching up on a non football podcast or reading a book than any mock/prediction/etc. from the talking heads, because they know about as much as you and I.

CaptainMusky

No. Kyler Murray is one of the least tradeable assets in the league due to his contract. He has a cap hit of 45/55/43 over the next 3 years if you keep him, which you wouldn’t trade a 1st unless you planned to keep him. And if it’s a Russell Wilson deal and you cut him, you owe 63/20/7 against your cap over the next 3 years.

Precisely. The Bills traded Diggs for a second and retained $31.1M. No way I would trade a first for Murray. That is insanity.

Tlazer

Yes, better to use 2-3 first round drafts picks to trade up for a QB, especially when you look at past drafts of the top QB’s in the draft usually end up a bust is a much better way to go. Weren’t Darnold, Wentz, Lance, Wilson, Trubisky to name a few picked at the top of the first round.

Ripjiggen

Yes let’s give up a first for a guy that is already a bust that should have not been drafted 1st overall that has admitted he does not commit to putting the work in and is shorter than almost every QB in the league and has done nothing in the NFL to prove he is worth that pick. toast

Dan
    Southeast MN

I don’t see Kyler fitting at all here. KOC has been summarized as a guy who “expects a lot out of his quarterback. ” Compare that to the cardinals writing into Kyler Murray’s contract that he watch a certain amount of film because otherwise the team knew he wouldn’t.

Wildlifeguy

Yes, better to use 2-3 first round drafts picks to trade up for a QB, especially when you look at past drafts of the top QB’s in the draft usually end up a bust is a much better way to go. Weren’t Darnold, Wentz, Lance, Wilson, Trubisky to name a few picked at the top of the first round.

Most drafted QB in general are busts. There’s only 5-6 legitimately great QBs on the planet currently. That doesn’t mean that every team doesn’t need to expend every possible resource to get one of those QBs. What good is 2-3 first round picks if the team doesn’t have a QB. Trent Dilfer won the SB once. Hoping to have that particular lightning strike again is a fool’s errand. Until one’s team has a franchise QB, every other need should be secondary, but trading away all legitimate talent will simply ensure that whatever QB is selected will have no chance of success, and that whatever regime does the deal will no longer be employed.

CaptainMusky

trading away all legitimate talent will simply ensure that whatever QB is selected will have no chance of success, and that whatever regime does the deal will no longer be employed.

BINGO

Ripjiggen

Most top QB’s come into the league with zero talent around them. Hence the reason they have a top 3 pick in the first place.

Brad Dimond

Weren’t Darnold, Wentz, Lance, Wilson, Trubisky to name a few picked at the top of the first round.

Coffct about all unless you mean Russell Wilson rather than Zach Wilson. Russell was a 3rd rounder and not a bust but seems to currently be a head case.

Tlazer

Was talking about Zach Wilson. I just don’t see the benefit of using 2 to 3 first round draft picks to move up to take a QB, when most of them fail to ever make it in the NFL. Look at the 2018 draft, 5 QB’s taken. Mayfield at #1, Darnold at #3, Allen at #7, Rosen at #10 and Jackson at #32. The best 2 were taken at #7 and #32. If you hit on using all those top draft choices you did good, but if you miss I think you really set your team back. This also applies to other positions as well, not just at QB. I can see using like a third round pick along with your first round pick to move up a few spots to secure your targeted player, like the Packers did to secure drafting Love at #26. But I guess I would be ok with using the #11 pick, the #23 pick and next years #1 pick to draft in the top 3 for a QB that when you look at the averages will probably be a bust.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

That won’t get you to the top 3.

CaptainMusky

Based on the point system it should, but I agree you will have to overpay to get there.

JoeMX1825
    MN

and I think the Vikings now feel if that’s not enough (#11 + #23 + 2025 1st) then they won’t make the deal to get into the top3…I do think they would be willing to deal #11 + #23 for QB4 at the #4 or #5 pick, but after that, they’ll just let the draft play out and perhaps even trade back a few slots from #11 and #23 and take best players available when they do pick (likely taking Penix with one of them) collect future draft capital for perhaps making a big draft move next year…

Wildlifeguy

Was talking about Zach Wilson. I just don’t see the benefit of using 2 to 3 first round draft picks to move up to take a QB, when most of them fail to ever make it in the NFL. Look at the 2018 draft, 5 QB’s taken. Mayfield at #1, Darnold at #3, Allen at #7, Rosen at #10 and Jackson at #32. The best 2 were taken at #7 and #32. If you hit on using all those top draft choices you did good, but if you miss I think you really set your team back. This also applies to other positions as well, not just at QB. I can see using like a third round pick along with your first round pick to move up a few spots to secure your targeted player, like the Packers did to secure drafting Love at #26. But I guess I would be ok with using the #11 pick, the #23 pick and next years #1 pick to draft in the top 3 for a QB that when you look at the averages will probably be a bust.

Vikings fans are so confusing. You hated the last guy because he traded back all the time to amass “bites at the apple” and you don’t want this guy to take a shot because he might miss. So am I to understand you just never want to trade during the draft at all? Cuz you realize it’s ALL just a crap shoot, no matter where the draft pick is, right?

CaptainMusky

Wildlifeguy pretty much summed it up. Id rather be aggressive and take a chance than drop back and amass picks that could be more hit and miss that moving up.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Mayfield at #1, Darnold at #3, Allen at #7, Rosen at #10 and Jackson at #32. The best 2 were taken at #7 and #32. If you hit on using all those top draft choices you did good, but if you miss I think you really set your team back.

I think those examples show how important the franchise and team around the draft pick is, more than anything else. Mayfield was able to take the Browns to the playoffs before they reverted to being the Browns, and just signed a pretty nice deal with TB after getting them to the playoffs in his first year there. The Jets haven’t made it to the playoffs in basically my lifetime, regardless of who they pick. And Rosen was discarded after a year for Kyler.

And if you miss, you don’t really set your team back, they just stay the same bc they were already bad to begin with, looking for a QB at the top of the draft. Look at the Bears: Trubisky, Fields and now Williams in a 5 year window. Where the Bears screw up, continually, is not having a Coach/GM/QB all in alignment both philosophically and contractually. Watch them hit some road bumps in the next 2 years and fire the HC, and then bring in a HC with no connection to Williams, and start the whole process over again.

CaptainMusky

Bigwerm is right. Generally the teams at the top are terrible teams so those QBs are going into a bad situation. San Fran paid a hefty price to get Lance is the only recent example I can think of where someone moved up and the guy didnt pan out and that was mostly because he got hurt and then Purdy came out of nowhere.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

So Caleb Williams just met with the Bears. What if he announced he wouldn’t sign with them? He has NIL money so he isn’t some poor kid who needs the NFL money. What would the Bears do? Trade the pick? Draft him? Draft him & trade him? I understand he wouldn’t be the first to do this (Elway, Manning) but it’s a different time.

This NIL thing is going to have a trickle down and effect the NFL draft. Deion Sanders kid already announced there are teams he won’t play for. He also has a pile of NIL and daddy money.

What do you think?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

So Caleb Williams just met with the Bears. What if he announced he wouldn’t sign with them? He has NIL money so he isn’t some poor kid who needs the NFL money. What would the Bears do? Trade the pick? Draft him? Draft him & trade him? I understand he wouldn’t be the first to do this (Elway, Manning) but it’s a different time.

This NIL thing is going to have a trickle down and effect the NFL draft. Deion Sanders kid already announced there are teams he won’t play for. He also has a pile of NIL and daddy money.

What do you think?

I think the Bears have sufficiently sold Caleb on them, their cap space, acquisitions to help him (Keenan Allen, DJ Moore, Kmet and DeAndre Swift), and where they are headed that it won’t be an issue with him. I do think it will increasingly be an issue moving forward, especially if they expand the loopholes to stay in college, which I expect them to do.

But hypothetically the Bears would either trade the pick pre-draft or draft him and then trade him, the kicker would be if he chose not to sign and went back to college. I’m not sure on the ramifications of that, or if he legally could, but that is an increasingly attractive option if you have a few million waiting for you back at college.

JoeMX1825
    MN

i’m now thinking the Vikings try to get QB4 at the #5 position (willing to trade #11 & #23 for it) but if they can’t, they’ll take QB5 (likely Penix) at #11 and then take a CB or DT at #23…I don’t think they want to risk Penix getting taken before pick #23…

CaptainMusky

My son has me convinced that we should go after Penix. He says he is the most accurate, strongest arm and a host of other intangibles.

JoeMX1825
    MN

My son has me convinced that we should go after Penix. He says he is the most accurate, strongest arm and a host of other intangibles.

I would agree, but he also had 2 repaired ACL’s and 2 Shoulder surgeries in the last 2-3 years…

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

It’s been fun reading all the different theories/hypotheticals out there on who will do what and why.

I’m starting to get a feeling that 4 quarterbacks will NOT go off the board in the first 4 or 5 picks as it has never happened in NFL Draft History. I think some teams WANT that to be the perception though and love seeing hype around McCarthy, Penix, Nix going in the top half of the first round too. In reality, I could see both Penix and Nix not even going in the first round or teams trading back into the first late to snag them with a second pick.

For example, the Patriots are far more than a quarterback away from winning and they don’t have a roster that is real conducive to a rookie qb stepping in and succeeding from day 1. They’ve got a raw coach and a lackluster roster. If I was a Patriots team I’d want them showing QB everywhere, but shopping that pick at all costs to trade down and get a haul. The Patriots also have arguably the worst WR group in the NFL. If they can’t trade the pick as intended, I wouldn’t be shocked for them to take Marvin Harrison Jr. either, which would foil the Cardinals spot behind them too and start a bit of a snowball of changes that most mock drafts don’t predict.

The Chargers want the idea of the top QBs going off right away to be the main focus too. They are prime candidates to trade back a handful of spots and get a load of draft capital. Any time they see the constant articles about teams racing to trade up for QBs and them flying off the board, they have to smile. The Chargers would love to see the Vikings, Raiders, Broncos showing up on their caller ID in the coming weeks.

In the end, I think JJ McCarthy will be there at #11 and the Vikings will NOT trade up to get him. If I was a Vikings fan, this would be my ideal scenario as well. If they opt to trade up, I think it’s going to be more costly with picks than most realize.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’m starting to get a random feeling that 4 quarterbacks will NOT go off the board in the first 4 or 5 picks as it has never happened in NFL Draft History. I think some teams WANT that to be the perception though

In the end, I think JJ McCarthy will be there at #11 and the Vikings will NOT trade up to get him.

I agree about the 4 QB’s, and would love JJ at 11, if that is KOC’s guy (or one of them). I don’t really care what they do (like trading 3 #1’s or sitting pat), as long as they get the guy KOC wants.

Thought it was interesting that Houston was the team that initiated the trade with the Vikings, not the other way around. Per Schefter, “A couple of weeks back the Houston Texans went to the Minnesota Vikings and initiated a trade in which they got out of the first round, got an extra second-round pick, and they got an extra 2 in that deal in as well in 2025,” Schefter said on “The Stephen A. Smith Show” on April 3. “Well lo and behold, everybody assumed that that trade was the Vikings initiating it so that they could go up and get a quarterback.
    “The truth of the matter was it was the Texans who initiated that to get out of the first round to get added draft capital in the second round the next two years so that they could go be in position to make a trade like the one that they did on Wednesday acquiring Stefon Diggs at what many people are surprised by the price in the end.”

JoeMX1825
    MN

For example, the Patriots are far more than a quarterback away from winning and they don’t have a roster that is real conducive to a rookie qb stepping in and succeeding from day 1. They’ve got a raw coach and a lackluster roster. If I was a Patriots team I’d want them showing QB everywhere, but shopping that pick at all costs to trade down and get a haul. The Patriots also have arguably the worst WR group in the NFL. If they can’t trade the pick as intended, I wouldn’t be shocked for them to take Marvin Harrison Jr. either, which would foil the Cardinals spot behind them too and start a bit of a snowball of changes that most mock drafts don’t predict

The other part of that though is do they think they’ll have a top 3 pick in future drafts and will the top QB’s in that draft be as good as this top 3 is supposed to be? You’d hate to pass on a Top 3 QB now and then still need one in future drafts but will then be forced to trade away capital to move up to get one and maybe they aren’t as good as what you could get now?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Everyone has their own take, and nobody in the know shares theirs. That’s the beauty of the draft. I watch and root for curveballs and chaos.

My armchair GM take is that there are more NFL GMs who have come around to the idea that they don’t want to take a top QB, start them from Day 1 with a rough roster, and have their tenure tied mainly to that one decision. Look at Carolina. They need to implode and start over again probably, they just can’t admit it yet effectively cutting their own throats in the front office.

I will be absolutely shocked if the Patriots take a QB at #3 and that person has a .500 career in New England, regardless of which QB it is.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I think the more and more that comes out about who initiated what with the Houston trade, and when you look at the fact that more than 3 QBs rarely go right in a row, the Vikings are going to sit at 11, take a QB (HOPEFULLY PENIX) and then take best defensive player available at 23. This is my dream scenario.

CaptainMusky

I would agree, but he also had 2 repaired ACL’s and 2 Shoulder surgeries in the last 2-3 years…

I know that was the same thing I said. He said he is sam Bradford 2.0.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 260 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.