2024 gardens

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

chased i know….there’s barely any ice on the lakes…….

i recieved the Jungs garden magazine last week…….

meandering through the FF in waite park yesterday they were seeing up the garden seed display. doah

Jimmy Jones

FF…. always in a hurry to get that almighty buck from the worrywarts. lol Menards too.

Garden seed here is bought along the same line as green bananas anymore.

picklerick
    Central WI

I went through my seed stash over the weekend. I honestly don’t need any but I’m always looking for the magical variety that waters, weeds and dumps produce into buckets by itself. I’m sure I’ll end up buying a few new tomato and hot pepper varieties to try.

I ordered a couple 59x31x31″ raised beds last week. The ground in my 2nd tilled up spot is loaded with wild grape and I’m giving up planting anything in the dirt besides the 100+ asparagus that will be 3yo this year. I have a pile of maple chips the size of a car that I plan on layering down as thick as I can. I got some nice looking composted horse manure from a local guy but I’ll definitely need more and he has plenty.

I think I’m going to start doing mung bean sprouts in the next few weeks. It looks pretty easy and they are great on a sandwich, wrap, salad or in a stir fry.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I still have enough green mint leaves to make a mojito! jester

glenn57
    cold spring mn

FF…. always in a hurry to get that almighty buck from the worrywarts. lol Menards too.

Garden seed here is bought along the same line as green bananas anymore.

rotflol rotflol about right…..i’m sure runnings wont be far behind..think i bough them there last year first part of feb.

i liked there Livingston seeds so gonna go with them again!!!! waytogo

picklerick
    Central WI

Hopefully my asparagus patches don’t get any funny ideas with this warm up. One was started from seed and will be in it’s third season this year. I’m hoping to eat a few this year. I planted some two year old crowns last year, too.

picklerick
    Central WI

chased i know….there’s barely any ice on the lakes…….

i recieved the Jungs garden magazine last week…….

I live about 35min from Jung’s in Stevens Point. I go right past it when I have to go into our office for meetings. So far, 2/27 is the next one, but something might pop up before then. Happy to stop in there and look for something if you need me to. I owe you a favor for sending me those onion sets.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Thanks, you don’t owe me nuttin. Just glad to share. I haven’t ordered anything from a seed catalog In a long time, not sure why I get them yet.

picklerick
    Central WI

The offer still stands. When I got back into gardening in 2021 I got all my seeds from Jung’s. Everything did well. 2022 and 2023 I ordered seeds from MIGardener and bought some at FF and Jung’s. Overall I think I’ve had the best luck with their seeds. I use their seed starter mix for everything I start indoors.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Any of you have any sweet corn seeds/seed packets you recommend? Usually if I buy 2 or more packets of seeds for something I try and get two different kinds just to see if there are any differences I like. Did that with sweet corn last year and one of them turned out much better than any I’ve ever grown myself. Problem is I have no idea what kind it was.

Anyone gonna be out tilling tomorrow when it hits 63? jester

Jimmy Jones

I have all of my seed bought. I’m tempted to clear the mulch off my strawberries and garlic bed. I have garlic maybe 10″ tall growing thru the leaf mulch I put on the bed.

picklerick
    Central WI

Picked up more seeds that I really don’t need and a big bag of starting mix at Jung’s yesterday. I’m planning to start my peppers in early April and tomatoes in mid April like usual. I don’t want to assume the last frost date is definitely going to be early this year. I also plan on starting some plants to sell at the town rummage sale on June 1. Two years ago I was putting my plants in the ground that weekend and so many people asked if I was selling them. I can’t blame them because I did actually have about 70 tomato plants started but they all went in my gardens.

Two days ago I noticed an asparagus poking up about 2″ in one of my beds. We had freezing rain turn to 1/2″ of snow overnight. I wonder how that’s going to play out.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m planning to start my peppers in early April…

You wait that long on peppers? My folks are very avid gardeners, and when I visited 2 weeks ago, Mom was getting ready to start peppers. Tomatoes get started later.

I’ve got seeds for everything else I will plant this spring.

picklerick
    Central WI

I go 7-8wks early for peppers, 4-6 for tomatoes. Thinking about it, I probably will have to start earlier. Our last frost date is 5/15 but I usually wait another week for tomatoes and put the peppers out another week later.
    I put the peppers in eighteen 6 gallon fabric bags, two plants per bag. I don’t have a lot of room inside and usually start a few dozen tomato plants, too.

JEREMY
    BP

Im doing peppers today or tomorrow. Should have already done it. They germinate slow and grow slow to start. Have learned it dont pay to start tomatos to early.

picklerick
    Central WI

I find that using the black fabric bags for my peppers helps from over watering and keeps the roots warmer than in ground. I had extras one year and put them in the ground and it was night and day by comparison.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i wonder when the greenhouses are starting mine!!!! mrgreen doah

my brother starts tomatoes from seeds….i got him to start lucky tigers and he does a bunch of camprias…..i get some of both usually!! waytogo

picklerick
    Central WI

Here’s a rundown of what I’m planting for sure. I’ll probably add more because why not?
    Tomatoes: Amish Paste, Crimson Cushion Beefsteak, Beefmaster, Supersweet 100, Kellogg’s Breakfast, Rose, La Roma III
    Peppers: Serrano, Habanero, Goliath Jalapeno
    Purple top turnip
    Early Wonder beet
    Evergreen bunching onion
    Mammoth Long Island dill
    Early Fortune and County Fair Improved cucumber
    Sugar Ann snap peas

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have some mint tucked up against the foundation that’s still green from last year!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I have some mint tucked up against the foundation that’s still green from last year!

not sure exactly where you live, but with that mint planted, do you notice less mosquitoes?

I use a potion of mint mouthwash, water, and Epsom salt as a mosquitoe repellent at the cabin and works pretty good

Snake ii’s

Tried the Kellog’s breakfast tomatoes last year – they were horrible.

this Year:

Peppers
    Death Spiral
    6 varieties of Habaneros
    various Naga Vipers
    Piquin
    Touchdown
    Purple Rain
    Moruga scorpion
    red scorp
    Scotch Bonnet – red, yellow, orange
    Cajun belle
    Trinidad perfume
    Hatch
    Jalapeno
    sugar rush peach
    citron
    Fatali

Tomatoes:
    health nut – best paste tomato we’ve tried to date
    Green Zebra
    thunderbird – awesome flavor and monster yield
    Ana Noir

picklerick
    Central WI

Weird. Kellogg’s is the only orange slicer we’ve liked. I planted it the last two years. We tried 2-3 others and they were either a poor yield or had no flavor. That’s a hell of a pepper list you have there.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i plant what i need for the stuff i can in fall. there’s something t o be said about all my canned goodies need to be grown in my garden! right now i’m 50/50 on planting onions….for some reason i dont get good results!!!
    i plant
    radishes
    tomatoes
    peppers.green and jalepenos’
    carrots
    kalarabi
    cucumbers
    dill
    lettuce and spinach
    green beans

pretty basic.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m stoked about 2024 garden.
    Mater’s as 57 calls em, peppers, herbs ie basil, sage, rosemary etc.
    I also plant veggies for the dogs. They love beans but absolutely love carrots.
    Mrs. Ferguson (the Mastiff) digs them out of the ground. I tell her to let them grow a bit, but she just keeps harvesting.
    I also have catnip. you know, for the feral cats. wink
    Over the years my garden has more flowers than veggies because it’s a bit easier. I do put in bannana and palm trees too.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’m usually pretty committed to waiting until Memorial Day to plant, but feel like this year could be a month+ earlier and be alright…

Jimmy Jones

March 2nd.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1641-scaled.jpeg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Tomatoes –
    Stake or Cage or ???

Jimmy Jones

Cage for this guy. The heavy wire 5 footers. And two 8 foot rods driven into the ground inside the cages and cable tied to the cage proper.

picklerick
    Central WI

It depends on what type of tomato they are. It will say on the seed pack or label if you buy a seedling.

Indeterminate tomatoes are a vine and need to be staked because they never stop growing taller unless you top them. I suspend them from an overhead conduit with jute and tomato clips you can buy on Amazon. They keep making tomatoes until frost kills the plant.

Determinate tomatoes are bushy and stop growing taller when most of the fruit is set. They will mostly all ripen within a few weeks of each other then the plant dies. I cage this type.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.