Vikings 2024 NFL Draft Post

• CaptainMusky

Very impressive young man. I don’t know if he will make it in the NFL but he is the kind of kid you would like your daughter to go out with.

I don’t have a daughter. LOL

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Cousins is on a 4 year $180M deal with $100M guaranteed, Atlanta has him for the next 2 years regardless. Only way out is to pay a lions share of that contract while trading him to a place he wants to go, so next to no chance of that happening.

Here’s JJ McCarthy’s HS scouting report, pretty interesting his arm talent (strength/accuracy) was the main takeway.

https://247sports.com/Player/JJ-McCarthy-46042742/high-school-195165/

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

The reason I don’t understand the Atlanta pick is they are in win now mode, if they weren’t they wouldn’t have spent 100mil guaranteed on cousins. Instead they draft a qb when they could get instant help on defense which is an area of need for them.

Agree with Big Werm’s take. They will have $ to spend next year which they can spend on proven players instead of having draft capitol.

Ripjiggen

They were either worried about losing draft picks or worried about cousins injury. Or both.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

An ex player, I can’t remember who said there is a pretty high % of guys who blow their Achilles soon after blow the other one. Atlanta invested a lot of money in Cousins to try and win now. I little insurance with Penix if Cousins goes down again or doesn’t bounce back isn’t a bad thing I don’t think.

What Cousins thinks shouldn’t matter any more then it mattered to the girl next door when the Packers signed Love.

CaptainMusky

They were either worried about losing draft picks or worried about cousins injury. Or both.

This mostly the latter. I saw the same thing Dutch about blowing it again. Not sure if there is a lot of truth to it, but I have seen it mentioned before.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Fact of the matter is if Cousins does his job Penix never sees the field.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I was not a fan of Maye or Penix in the grand scheme of things and am super warm and fuzzy for JJ tho. I think its the Harbaugh factor? Both John and Jim are master evaluators of talent.

I think we should send out thank you cards to the Patriots and Falcons for making this all possible. That poor GM who had to explain why he took a 24 year old QB that will not start for 2 more years because they gave Kirk 100 million has either the biggest balls on the planet or will be out of a job in 2 years?

The NFC North is looking like a real powerhouse the next few years and it will be so much fun to watch.

Since so few backs have been taken, it would be nice to try some dart throws with those late picks? Super happy with AJ and Ty but injuries happen and you can find some gems late.

JJ to JJ to TJ to AJ…………LFG

CaptainMusky

Fact of the matter is if Cousins does his job Penix never sees the field.

Not until Kirk is gone at least.

toddrun

No guarantee Cousins comes back from the Achilles tear. Atlanta could have gone a lot of directions, I don’t have a problem with what they did in drafting Penix.

Vikes picks, they got good talent in needed positions so far….BUT…gave up a lot of draft capital to move up a few spots to get those guys. In the end, if they work out, no one will care about the lost capital, but if they don’t work out, it may mean the end of Kwesi, he stuck his neck out.

The one thing people don’t talk about is the signing of Darnold, who was a #3 overall pick a few years ago. His first 5 years with the Jets and Panthers dumpster fires blinds people to his physical talents. In O’Connells offense, he could finally realize his potential, he could be really, really good. Then JJ gets some time to learn, plus plus.

Brittman

Vikings gave up far less than the pundits and talking heads thought they would for their QB.

Turner has the potential to be extremely disruptive and a game changer. What they gave away for him is worth it if he reaches top shelf play. Last few rounds are mostly long shots, “takes time to develop projects”, or plug in special teams players.

Brittman

I heard Florio (w/Allen) say the Vikings go to being one of the highest cap constrained teams in 2024 to a team with one of the very lowest cap hits in 2025. Have not had time to “google” it to confirm, but I guess I am not sure why he would not have his facts correct. I assume he has a pretty big team behind the scenes.

CaptainMusky

Brittman yes the Vikings apparently tons of cap space after this season.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Viking take a CB and Tackle with their fourth and fifth picks. The tackle from OK started all games last season and didn’t give up a sack. Big SOB as well. Nice get for the 6th round.

Ripjiggen

No guarantee Cousins comes back from the Achilles tear. Atlanta could have gone a lot of directions, I don’t have a problem with what they did in drafting Penix.

Vikes picks, they got good talent in needed positions so far….BUT…gave up a lot of draft capital to move up a few spots to get those guys. In the end, if they work out, no one will care about the lost capital, but if they don’t work out, it may mean the end of Kwesi, he stuck his neck out.

The one thing people don’t talk about is the signing of Darnold, who was a #3 overall pick a few years ago. His first 5 years with the Jets and Panthers dumpster fires blinds people to his physical talents. In O’Connells offense, he could finally realize his potential, he could be really, really good. Then JJ gets some time to learn, plus plus.

Disagree on the capital they gave up. If anything it was peanuts compared to what was thought to have to be given up. They gave up more for moving up for Turner. He is way less likely to be a bust….BUT…yes Kwesi is tied to JJ. So is KOC most likely.

Very easy to move on from JJ because they didn’t spend much capital on him.

Ripjiggen

I heard Florio (w/Allen) say the Vikings go to being one of the highest cap constrained teams in 2024 to a team with one of the very lowest cap hits in 2025. Have not had time to “google” it to confirm, but I guess I am not sure why he would not have his facts correct. I assume he has a pretty big team behind the scenes.

This is probably one of the things Kwesi has not gotten credit for. He has turned over this roster quite a bit and will have money to fill holes next season. Some of this money will go towards JJ and Darrisaw.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brittman wrote:</div>

This is probably one of the things Kwesi has not gotten credit for. He has turned over this roster quite a bit and will have money to fill holes next season. Some of this money will go towards JJ and Darrisaw.

agreed, all of those years of salary cap gymnastics eventually comes due and Qwesi paid the debts the past few years, now it will be his turn to start spending with the credit card again..

CaptainMusky

The Vikings didn’t give up much to make the moves they did. I think at least the first round was excellent. The picks today were of need which is also good.

JoeMX1825
    MN

good draft all around, hopefully they give this rookie kicker more of a runway then they did with the last kicker they drafted who they cut after several missed kicks and he then went to the Raiders and has been a pro bowler…

It will be interesting to see what happens with next years picks with all of the rumors that the Falcons went QB in RD1 this year because they know they will lose a lot of picks next year…

I’m glad the Vikings finally went with Quality over Quantity…took Qwesi a few drafts to realize that…

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 260 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.