Vikings 2024 NFL Draft Post

• JoeMX1825
    MN

I think the more and more that comes out about who initiated what with the Houston trade, and when you look at the fact that more than 3 QBs rarely go right in a row, the Vikings are going to sit at 11, take a QB (HOPEFULLY PENIX) and then take best defensive player available at 23. This is my dream scenario.

Dream would be getting the top Defender at #11 and then a QB at #23 or better yet trading back a few spots and gaining a 2nd round pick recouped and then getting a QB at the end of 1st round with 5th year option…

Dan
    Southeast MN

I don’t really care what they do (like trading 3 #1’s or sitting pat), as long as they get the guy KOC wants.

Same. If there’s truly a guy KOC wants they’ve got to find a way to get him. If they’ve got JJ McCarthy or Drake Maye pegged for that, they’ve gotta go get him. For “their guy” to be available at 11 is a huge “what if” and if they gamble and miss out they’ll end up in an entirely different direction.

I think it’s important, and something I’m sure teams have been working on, to evaluate possible 2025 class QB’s. Someone earlier mentioned New England and how they need so much that it’s pointless to take a QB this year. To that I would say they need to determine the best they can if 2025 will be any better. Sure, New England could have the best position player available if they don’t go QB, or trade the pick and get a haul. But if doing so means they pass on a top QB who works out really well, they’re gonna regret it. Same with the Vikings; many say don’t overpay, but the team obviously needs a QB, and if they pass up the chance this year, even if they have to overpay, and next year’s class isn’t that great, they’re going to regret it. Scouts, GM’s, and coaches really have a ton of pressure to get those picks right.

Tlazer

Just my thoughts, and will probably be wrong, but I don’t think the top 3 QB’s will last past pick #5, and JJ will be gone by pick #10. Penix and Nix I think will also go mid first round. Everyone knows the Vikings need a QB, and so if your the Vikings do you chance on JJ lasting until pick #11 and Penix to last to pick #23 without another team trading back into the first round and take Penix at say pick #16-#20, or another team trading into the top #10 for JJ? With the Giants both in a market for a WR and QB, I could easily see 4 QB’s and 2 WR’s taken in the first 6 picks.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

While tons of teams need a QB, there are far fewer that have the pieces around ready for a rookie franchise QB, and even more importantly fewer GM/Coach combos that are ready to start that 3 year clock that usually comes with a top of the 1st round QB.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Just my thoughts, and will probably be wrong, but I don’t think the top 3 QB’s will last past pick #5, and JJ will be gone by pick #10. Penix and Nix I think will also go mid first round. Everyone knows the Vikings need a QB, and so if your the Vikings do you chance on JJ lasting until pick #11 and Penix to last to pick #23 without another team trading back into the first round and take Penix at say pick #16-#20, or another team trading into the top #10 for JJ? With the Giants both in a market for a WR and QB, I could easily see 4 QB’s and 2 WR’s taken in the first 6 picks.

I definitely think #2 WRs are in play in the top 6 picks and maybe even more likely to happen than not. I think Harrison Jr. and Odunze and Nabers are all at minimum quality NFL starters with MHJ likely going to be a #1 guy for someone for a long time.

I still don’t think x4 QBs will go in the first 6 picks though, but like everyone else in the world I’m only guessing.

The Raiders and Broncos have been extremely “quiet” on a lot of experts’ takes about QB. I’ve seen mock drafts that have them jumping up, staying put, not addressing qb at all, and just about every scenario possible. They’re really the 2 teams pushing the Vikings to move up in my estimation. I don’t think the Giants will take a QB with their pick. They have a lot of holes to fill before they’re competetive and the money dished out to Danny Dimes is still on the books. They don’t want to start the cheap contract clock on a rookie qb who is destined to at best struggle with the current roster.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

While tons of teams need a QB, there are far fewer that have the pieces around ready for a rookie franchise QB, and even more importantly fewer GM/Coach combos that are ready to start that 3 year clock that usually comes with a top of the 1st round QB.

Nailed it.

It’s not just a gamble on draft capital to move up or draft a rookie qb high, but it’s a career gamble for people associated with it. Hence why I think the Vikings will get McCarthy at #11 IF they want.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Adam Schefter just on Sportscenter speculating that New England could take a QB at 3 and suggesting it could be Drake Maye.

I just hope the Vikings are aggressive enough to get their guy.

toddrun

Other than QB’s selected 1st overall, the success rate on 1st round QB’s is pretty dismal. Trading up to take the 4th or 5th QB taken in the draft, I agree that starts the clock on KOC getting fired. I think he will stay put, and make the decision when he sees what is available at the #11 pick. I don’t think JJ makes it that low, and I don’t think Penix or Nix will be starting quality QB’s in 3 years. I think Darnold has a better chance of success.

And I think the bigger decision is signing Jefferson to the highest WR contract ever. Better off trading him in my opinion.

Tlazer

I also agree with trading Jefferson. I know he is a good player, one of the best receivers in football, but how many games did they win last year without him on the field? Think of the salary cap implications alone in signing him. Wonder how far you could move up in the draft including him with their #11 first round pick. Could they possibly include Jefferson and the #11 pick to trade up with Arizona or the Chargers who both need WR’s, and the Vikings would still have the #23 pick to draft another receiver? This is a good deep draft for a receiver. That way you would have your starting QB, one starting WR on first year deals and your other top WR on a second year contract. That would be huge as far as the salary cap goes.

Ripjiggen

I don’t get the trade JJ idea now.
    You will have a rookie QB taking up way less cap space than most teams. You can afford his salary under a rookie contract. He will help tremendously with a rookie QB. The two teams mentioned to move up can’t afford him. Chargers traded Allen because they were way over the cap. Arizona has one of the worst QB contracts in the league and is set up perfect to draft a stud WR at 4 that will be on a rookie deal.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>

Nailed it.

It’s not just a gamble on draft capital to move up or draft a rookie qb high, but it’s a career gamble for people associated with it. Hence why I think the Vikings will get McCarthy at #11 IF they want.

I think that if they stay at 11, 2 of the 3 of Penix, JJ, or Nix will still be there. Doesn’t make sense IMO to move up when you can nab one of those three (most likely JJ or Penix) at 11 and then bolster the defense with 23.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I don’t get the trade JJ idea now.

Agreed, the time has come and gone to trade JJ. To quote Rounders, “pay that man his mooooney!”

Just a reminder Schefter is the best in the biz at breaking news because he carries water for GM’s, so when he says he’s hearing Team X might do ___, it’s as a favor so when they resign or cut or other big news happens, the GM calls him with it first.

Personally I don’t see the Pats taking QB, their roster was not great when they were winning Super Bowls with Brady, and has only gotten worse since then. They will trade down or take BPA if they keep the pick. They have Brissett and Zappe to keep them in the running for the top pick next year. Poles has given the league a blueprint on tearing it down to the studs while maximizing your assets for a complete rebuild, and also prolonging your career as a GM, since he won’t be getting fired for at least 3 years now.

CaptainMusky

Trading JJ would be asinine. What better situation would a rookie QB or even a guy like Darnold come into with weapons around him? Trading JJ (known quantity) to hopefully load up on picks and find a replacement is like going all in in poker with a pair of 2’s.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Trading JJ would be asinine. What better situation would a rookie QB or even a guy like Darnold come into with weapons around him? Trading JJ (known quantity) to hopefully load up on picks and find a replacement is like going all in in poker with a pair of 2’s.

X2
    Unless JJ is requesting to be traded. He really wanted Kirko to stay and throw the balls to him. Part of the reason for his impressive stats in the last 4 years is because of Kirk.
    If he’s traded, it’s because he asked for it. Same as Diggs a few years back.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thankfully all the arm chair GM’s and draft experts only have another week of tossing mud against the wall. Maybe trade the #11 to Miami for Tua Tagovailoa and go from there.

Or…….the 8th grade Pop Warner class currently has 5 kids certain to reach the HOF as NFL quarterbacks. How about we start positioning for that draft class?

Tlazer

Hopefully whenever they draft they turn their pick in on time.

Ripjiggen

Thankfully all the arm chair GM’s and draft experts only have another week of tossing mud against the wall. Maybe trade the #11 to Miami for Tua Tagovailoa and go from there.

Or…….the 8th grade Pop Warner class currently has 5 kids certain to reach the HOF as NFL quarterbacks. How about we start positioning for that draft class?

Check your calendar.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Rumor that the NFL might force the Falcon’s to pickswap #8 for #11 for tampering with Kirk Cousins…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Rumor that the NFL might force the Falcon’s to pickswap #8 for #11 for tampering with Kirk Cousins…

This is picking up steam, NFL insider Adam Schefter says the NFL will resolve the Falcons tampering allegation this week and draft pick penalties are expected…

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^I’d bet a substantial sum of money that this does not happen. It does bring clicks, likes, views, and shares all over social media though!

There’s no way they’d force a pick swap near the top of the 1st round a few days before the draft. With all the strategies, potential trades and offers, etc. between GMs that scenario would punish even more than the Falcons and impacts everyone who wasn’t even involved in the situation.

My guess is that Atlanta will lose a mid round pick or two for tampering in NEXT YEAR’S draft.

JoeMX1825
    MN

^I’d bet a substantial sum of money that this does not happen. It does bring clicks, likes, views, and shares all over social media though!

There’s no way they’d force a pick swap near the top of the 1st round a few days before the draft. With all the strategies, potential trades and offers, etc. between GMs that scenario would punish even more than the Falcons and impacts everyone who wasn’t even involved in the situation.

My guess is that Atlanta will lose a mid round pick or two for tampering in NEXT YEAR’S draft.

Yeah, I should have worded my message better, its picking up steam in that the Falcons will likely get punished by losing draft picks, odds of that turning into a pick swap with the Vikings are very low…but if the Vikings can prove their argument that the Falcons tampering hurt their chances to re-sign him, that could turn into some type of compensation going back to the Vikings…

haleysgold
    SE MN

I’m seeing reports that Atlanta will lose 1 or more picks in 2024 or 2025.
    The Vikings could be awarded additional picks probably in 2024. More draft capital to move up!

lindyrig79

Cousins already screwing Atlanta by (previously) admitting he had contact with them prior to the deadline. Looks like the cost to get him just went up!!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Cousins already screwing Atlanta by (previously) admitting he had contact with them prior to the deadline. Looks like the cost to get him just went up!!

Cousins has been screwing NFL teams his whole career. Why stop now. Keep in Mind there was a rookie QB last year with as many playoff wins as Cousins has had in 12 Seasons.

iowa_josh

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    My son has me convinced that we should go after Penix. He says he is the most accurate, strongest arm and a host of other intangibles.

I would agree, but he also had 2 repaired ACL’s and 2 Shoulder surgeries in the last 2-3 years…

The last injury was 2021

lindyrig79

Nothing new on the tampering? Are they trying to add drama to the draft or is nothing going to happen this year?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Nothing new on the tampering? Are they trying to add drama to the draft or is nothing going to happen this year?

Like others have said. My guess is nothing will happen to them this draft. Possibly something with next years though.

Dan
    Southeast MN

It was announced today that this year’s draft will not be impacted as the investigation is still ongoing.

lindyrig79

Bummer.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 260 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.