Vikings 2024 NFL Draft Post

• Ripjiggen

Because there is no guarantee they are higher than 11th next year. Why wait?

Sylvanboat

The only thing I’m confident in is the Vikings will somehow take a swing and miss by a mile.

Oh, I thought you were talking about the Bears.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Saw rumor the WTF’s are taking JJ at #2, which I highly doubt. But if that is the case, trading to #3 or #4 for Daniels or Maye is inevitable and necessary imo. Assuming KOC likes those guys of course.

AnotherFisherman

I want the flashy new top QB draft pick! Give me either of the 4 top QB prospects.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’ve warmed to the idea of including next year’s 1st rounder packaged with the 2 this year IF it means we get Maye or Daniels and IF either one is KOC’s guy…

If it takes more than that, then I say pass and use #11 & #23 to get into #5 and take JJ

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Saw rumor the WTF’s are taking JJ at #2, which I highly doubt. But if that is the case, trading to #3 or #4 for Daniels or Maye is inevitable and necessary imo. Assuming KOC likes those guys of course.

That seems crazy. They would have to have seen something in him that I have not. To take him ahead of either Maye or Daniels seems like a big reach

Dan
    Southeast MN

I’ve warmed to the idea of including next year’s 1st rounder packaged with the 2 this year IF it means we get Maye or Daniels and IF either one is KOC’s guy…

Same here, I was really hoping to avoid giving up next year’s first but I think it’s going to have to be the case because of competition in the market. I saw a mock draft that had the Raiders trading up to pick #4 to grab a QB. I know there are a thousand mock drafts out there but that’s actually a very big reality is having plenty of competition. They’ve done the scouting and put tons of work into it, KOC seems to be a guy that’s good with/for QB’s, and their trade of picks with the Texans was all about building up chips for this year’s draft. You can’t do all that and let someone else swoop in and grab them. To get one of the best 3-4 QB’s it’s looking like they’re going to have to draft in the top 3-4.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

Same here, I was really hoping to avoid giving up next year’s first but I think it’s going to have to be the case because of competition in the market. I saw a mock draft that had the Raiders trading up to pick #4 to grab a QB. I know there are a thousand mock drafts out there but that’s actually a very big reality is having plenty of competition. They’ve done the scouting and put tons of work into it, KOC seems to be a guy that’s good with/for QB’s, and their trade of picks with the Texans was all about building up chips for this year’s draft. You can’t do all that and let someone else swoop in and grab them. To get one of the best 3-4 QB’s it’s looking like they’re going to have to draft in the top 3-4.

yep, and a great point I heard regarding what the Vikings can offer vs other QB needy teams like the Raiders or Broncos is that the Vikings have the extra 1st round pick THIS season, so teams can assign better value to the #23 pick because it’s known commodity and they can see what players should be in that range vs taking another teams future 1st round draft picks where you don’t know where that pick will fall or what young players will enter the draft or maybe next year’s projected top QB blows his knee out in a bowl game, etc, etc…

BigWerm
    SW Metro

While that seems like a lot, remember we traded 2 2’s for that #23, so trading 3 1’s is really 2 1’s and 2 2’s, maybe a distinction without a difference.

That seems crazy. They would have to have seen something in him that I have not. To take him ahead of either Maye or Daniels seems like a big reach

You do a lot of college scouting? smirk tongue JJ was a national champ in a pro-style offense and has all the physical tools. Maye was Sam Howell’s backup at UNC and didn’t do a ton this year (besides destroy the Gophers rotflol ), and Daniels is a phenomenal dual threat QB but they don’t always translate well to the NFL. You could 100% be right, and I think JJ getting all this media attention right now is mainly smoke, but it’s not outside the realm of possibility. Especially among people who actually study the tape, unlike you and I. waytogo

JoeMX1825
    MN

While that seems like a lot, remember we traded 2 2’s for that #23, so trading 3 1’s is really 2 1’s and 2 2’s, maybe a distinction without a difference.

it’s the Carolina Panthers losing the #1 pick this draft that scares the hell out of me, especially with Sam Darnold likely taking most of the Viking snaps next season…big unknown…

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

You do a lot of college scouting

No not much, But there are a Ton of guys who get paid Top $ to do so. I have not seen any of them have JJ rated any higher than the # 4 QB. If the Vikings give up both their 1st round pikes to get him, He better end up being a Starter ready QB by the start of the season. That would also mean they have one high paid QB backup in Darnold.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

No matter who they take he should sit and learn behind Darnold all seaon.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

No matter who they take he should sit and learn behind Darnold all seaon.

I agree we should sit whomever it is for a season.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    You do a lot of college scouting

No not much, But there are a Ton of guys who get paid Top $ to do so. I have not seen any of them have JJ rated any higher than the # 4 QB. If the Vikings give up both their 1st round pikes to get him, He better end up being a Starter ready QB by the start of the season. That would also mean they have one high paid QB backup in Darnold.

There is not a qb in the draft outside of Williams who is ready to start day 1. Frankly he will struggle I believe.
    10 million is not much money for a QB. They can easily absorb that for a year.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I used to follow every draft for decades but lost interest last 4-5 years. As a fair weather Vikings fan and knowing there is a 75% bust rate on high pick QB’s, no chance I would trade 3 firsts and then some for a hunch.

With that said, I do not want them to trade up to get “their” guy but rather to block other teams behind them from snatching one of the QB’s. You could easily say Denver or Vegas would easily trade up in front of MN if that is what unfolds.

I cross my fingers that JJ is there at 11, if not you pivot at 23 or further up if needed. Williams and Daniels will go 1 and 2, then its anyones guess but I don’t see NE or AZ trading out of those spots.

My preference is JJ but nobody cares about my opinion. Not a fan of Maye and it wouldn’t surprise me if he falls like Levis. NC does not have a great history of producing stud QB’s and that is enough for me to pass on Maye at least higher than 11.

Sam Howell
    Mitchell Trubisky
    Drake Maye???????

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

There isn’t a bunch of tape on Maye to move up to get him. He might be good or he might be a bust. Draft hype is real…..anybody remember a kid from North Dakota skyrocketing without a bunch of tape on him?

Can anybody here today on March 27th say for certainty that Maye will be better than Darnold in the Vikings system?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

My unpopular take:

Darnold will look serviceable with the Vikings and KOC. He is only 26 years old (2 years older than Purdy) and has never been put in any consistent situation with even average talent around him.

With the Vikings finishing 3rd in the division last season, they will have a more favorable schedule as well.

Tlazer

As a fan and not a scout, we really don’t know what teams think about each QB. Look at the Bears taking Trubisky ahead of Mahomes and Watson. Who would have thought that Mayfield would go #1. So to say JJ can’t go before Maye or Daniels is just guessing. One thing about the draft, there are surprises every year. I have heard that this years QB class is supposedly deeper than next years draft class, so I am guessing that all 4 QB’s will be gone by #11. Looking at past drafts, I would bet that 2-3 of the top QB’s taken will probably be a bust, and wouldn’t doubt that a QB taken after those top 4 rated QB’s could turn out to be the best QB from this draft.

Ripjiggen

He hasn’t exactly stayed healthy for a season.
    It’s definitely the best offense he has ever played with by a long shot. I think the A Jones signing was a sneaky good pickup.
    Serviceable is a pretty broad term.
    I don’t think they signed him to try and revive his career however and I do think they will be drafting a QB in the first round somewhere.

Outside of cousins signing which can be debated for life. I think Kwesi did a pretty good job this off season with his signings. Obviously remains to be seen but they got younger and saved pushing money down the road and I think brought in some quality guys.

So many ways this draft and QB situation could go.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

My unpopular take:

Darnold will look serviceable with the Vikings and KOC. He is only 26 years old (2 years older than Purdy) and has never been put in any consistent situation with even average talent around him.

With the Vikings finishing 3rd in the division last season, they will have a more favorable schedule as well.

not that unpopular Bucky…..Darnold has never had this much talent in NY or Carolina so he could be very serviceable or he could start seeing ghosts again? I feel he is a smart guy and that is what KOC wants first and foremost? What the casual fan does not know is that he is fast AF and will surprise people with his legs more than his arm. I think I seen the win total is set at -6.5 for the purple. I would be surprised if they don’t get to 8 this year.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Where are you seeing a 6.5 game win total for the Vikings?!?! PM me if needed. I’d wait in line overnight to hit that over for sure. They used a revolving door of QBs last year and got to 7 wins with JJ hurt a huge chunk as well. This year JJ is back healthy and have another full year of guys playing in consistent systems. They also will have an easier schedule.

The places I have “allegedly” used sports gambling in the past have not realeased those futures lines yet.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

The places I have “allegedly” used sports gambling in the past

rotflol

I also think we are going to be .500 or better this year. Also agree with Rip that the moves made this offseason with or without the Kirk deal have been overall good moves.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If the Vikings give up both their 1st round pikes to get him, He better end up being a Starter ready QB by the start of the season. That would also mean they have one high paid QB backup in Darnold.

Even in a hypothetical scenario that Caleb Williams drops to the Vikings, I wouldn’t want him starting day 1. Let the rookie (whoever it is) get comfortable in the system, and beat out Darnold. If they can’t beat Darnold in practice, they won’t in a game either.

There isn’t a bunch of tape on Maye to move up to get him.

Drake Maye started for 2 years (25 games), so there is plenty of tape. He also threw 952 passes, which is still more than Lance has thrown in HS, College and the Pro’s combined waytogo jester

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

There is not enough tape to make him a 2nd or 3rd pick. There is no pedigree there.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Honestly the more I think/read about him, the more ok I am with the Vikings taking Penix with either 11 or 23, and using the other pick on the best DL available.

If we take a guy like Penix, KOC won’t be asking him to be the next Lamar, as that isn’t how his offense works, but he WILL be able to keep plays alive with his legs substantially more than Cousins was able.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Penix has had 2 shoulder and 2 torn ACL knee surgeries already and he turns 24 years old in a few months…He can’t throw passes from a hospital bed…

Pay the extra pick and get either Maye, Daniels or McCarthy and hope they pan out…that’s all you can do…

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Honestly the more I think/read about him, the more ok I am with the Vikings taking Penix with either 11 or 23

I don’t hate this either, other than the Michigan game, he had a phenomenal year and has a ton of experience, including historic years at Washington and Indiana (not exactly Ohio State and Alabama level programs). And you are correct, he’s very mobile, but doesn’t run (anymore, he did at Indiana) he just moves around and hits guys down field. Super accurate too.

JoeMX1825
    MN

There’s alot of chatter that the Vikings won’t be able to get into the Top 3 (because those teams don’t want to trade out vs the Vikings not willing to pay up) and this could force them to possibly overpay for a pick between 5-10 (to guarantee they get the 4th QB) or stay put at Pick #11 and hope one of the top 4 QB’s falls…

IF the top 4 QB’s are gone by the time the Vikings pick at #11 I could see them trading out of pick #11 for a later 1st rounder and picking up additional picks (perhaps a 2025 1st rounder) and then using those 2 picks #23 and #2x to pick Penix and the best DT/Edge/CB left on the board at pick 2x…

This ensures they have a QB with the 5th year rookie option, fill a starter role at a position of need, keep their 2025 1st rounder and hopefully pick up additional draft capital to make up for what we paid to get pick #23…

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Only problem is that there is a decent chance that Penix isn’t still there at 23.

IMO, IF (emphasis on the IF) KOC believes he has what it takes, you take him at 11 and then take BPA on the defensive side of the ball.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Only problem is that there is a decent chance that Penix isn’t still there at 23.

IMO, IF (emphasis on the IF) KOC believes he has what it takes, you take him at 11 and then take BPA on the defensive side of the ball.

Yeah, I’ve seen those reports, I think #11 is way to early though, its likely possible to trade back a few spots and grab additional picks and still get him…

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 260 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.