Vikings 2024 NFL Draft Post

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

They could’ve traded 3 first rounders to get a qb last night. They kept all of them and got the #2 qb on their list and possibly the best defensive player in the draft. I think it was the best outcome they could’ve had. I was really worried they’d dump a ton of first round picks to get a qb that MIGHT be good.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Patrick Mahomes was selected 10th overall by the Kansas City Chiefs in the 2017 draft. Coincidence? grin

-J.

JJ McCarthy is going to make people forget who Patrick Mahomes is.

Tlazer

Might want to wait on comparing JJ to Mahomes. Is there a reason that JJ was still available at #10? Just saying that since when does a LT and WR have more value than a franchise QB? Would have thought that the Broncos, Raiders would have offered what it would have taken to move up, plus Atlanta and the Giants would have selected him if they thought JJ is the next Mahomes. Thought the Turner pick was solid. Can’t fault trading up for him once he fell into range, and not waiting until #23.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Nobody thinks JJ is the next Mahomes. I think you missed some sarcasm there. Also, the Giants and Raiders didn’t have the draft capital to move up high enough to take a qb. That’s why it was thought that the Vikings were the team that could trade up into the top 5. Why I like McCarthy is he can move, throw off platform, and is the ONLY qb drafted that played under center last year and used play action which is what KOC’s offense is built on.

CaptainMusky

I think this is the guy koc really wanted so bonus. He played in the most pro style offense so bonus.

big_g
    Isle, MN

and being 27-1 & the reigning National Champion isn’t all bad either. bow

10klakes

In no way comparing JJ to Mahomes, but since the 2017 draft was brought up I figured I’d refresh my memory on the picks. Wow.
    fyi Vikings took Dalvin at #42.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot-2024-04-26-091828.jpg

Ripjiggen

Now that you know your QB situation for next couple seasons it’s time to extend the other JJ and most likely Darrisaw.

Not sure there was a QB in this draft that will be a sure thing. They all had question marks and different skill sets.
    If JJ isn’t the guy he will be easy to move on from as you did not spend much capital on him.

CaptainMusky

Now that you know your QB situation for next couple seasons it’s time to extend the other JJ and most likely Darrisaw.

Not sure there was a QB in this draft that will be a sure thing. They all had question marks and different skill sets.
    If JJ isn’t the guy he will be easy to move on from as you did not spend much capital on him.

Agreed 100%. As I mentioned when all the draft speculators here and elsewhere said the Vikings had to draft way up into the top 5 to get JJ I said no way I would do that. Moving 1 pick made sense to get him if they wanted him. Surprised Penix went that early thought he would have fallen to us at 23 possibly due to injury history even though its been 3 years. I think he is going to be the sleeper in this draft. Solid first round for Kwesi and crew.

Tlazer

Nobody thinks JJ is the next Mahomes. I think you missed some sarcasm there. Also, the Giants and Raiders didn’t have the draft capital to move up high enough to take a qb. That’s why it was thought that the Vikings were the team that could trade up into the top 5. Why I like McCarthy is he can move, throw off platform, and is the ONLY qb drafted that played under center last year and used play action which is what KOC’s offense is built on.

Giants didn’t need draft capital to move up since they were picking ahead of the Vikings already. The Raiders had their second and third round picks for ammo to move up if they really wanted to, even the Broncos had a third round pick this year and could have mortgaged future picks next year if they felt JJ was really that good of a QB. JJ has just as good a chance as any of them to become a good/franchise QB, but when looking at stats (QB who actually pan out) it is probably 30-40% at best that make it. Look at the 2021 draft where 4 of the top 5 QB’s (Wilson, Lance, Fields, & Jones) taken in the top of the 1st round are already playing for different teams.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

No one here is saying he is a sure thing to be great. Not sure why you keep bringing that up. None of these guys are a sure thing. Williams maybe. But after that you never know. Here’s the facts:

Giants didn’t want a QB, they have ZERO receivers.

Vikings got their QB they wanted and didn’t have to sell off the farm.
    They moved up for mid round picks to land one of the best defensive players in the draft that will immediately help this defense.

Win. Win.

I’ve never witnessed a Vikings draft that went this well. Pretty exciting.

CaptainMusky

I’ve never witnessed a Vikings draft that went this well. Pretty exciting.

I agree! Its like everything fell into place.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Who cares what the Broncos and Raiders were thinking. The Broncos have missed on about a dozen QBs in recent years and the Raiders are a poor run organization all around. Not to mention teams miss out on and pass on good QBs each and every year. I guess I don’t understand what point you are trying to make.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

and being 27-1 & the reigning National Champion isn’t all bad either. bow

Definitely like a guy who is driven to win!

Now if he can be the guy who can shake off “The Viking Curse”!

-J.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I always enjoy the know-it-alls who are so unbelievably confident in their opinions of every player in the draft. And yet, year after year after year, some guys taken in the first round will fail miserably, and some guys taken in later rounds become stars. The game changes from college to pro. Nothing wrong with being excited but, all the coverage, games, scouts, and “experts” beating their drums constantly never made Ryan Leaf a HOF, and none of them saw Tom Brady either.

MX1825

The Vikes did well in my opinion. I agree JJ might be the best prepared for the NFL because of Michigan’s system. Time will tell.
    Coming from a Packer fan.

ThunderLund78

Definitely reason for optimism but the draft is largely over for us. We could definitely score big in Round 4 or find a diamond in the rough in Rounds 6 or 7, but I think those are the only picks we have left.

I like the Dallas Turner pick the most, but excited to see what KOC can make of JJ McCarthy.

Funny how boring the draft started and then Atlanta blew it up with that ridiculous Penix pick. Glad they got him and we didn’t.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Agreed with most here, Mahto in particular. The draft fell, and was utilized by Kwesi, about as perfectly as you could have asked for. Also, getting two leaders on both sides of the ball for the next 5-10 years, hopefully, is huge. I am not worried at all about draft capital remaining this year, or especially next when we should be getting a number of compensatory picks, Cousins tampering pick or two, and are finally out of salary cap hell and should have $50M to spend (it’s around $100M now, but will be adding JJ and Darrisaw to it most likely).

The Penix to ATL pick is the oddest pick I can remember in draft history.

The Packers picking AZ tackle is such a Packers move, can’t say I know enough about him to make a judgement, but the only thing more Packers-ish that could have been done was drafting Cooper DeJean, a DB and a white one at that.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Agreed with most here, Mahto in particular. The draft fell, and was utilized by Kwesi, about as perfectly as you could have asked for. Also, getting two leaders on both sides of the ball for the next 5-10 years, hopefully, is huge. I am not worried at all about draft capital remaining this year, or especially next when we should be getting a number of compensatory picks, Cousins tampering pick or two, and are finally out of salary cap hell and should have $50M to spend (it’s around $100M now, but will be adding JJ and Darrisaw to it most likely).

The Packers picking AZ tackle is such a Packers move, can’t say I know enough about him to make a judgement, but the only thing more Packers-ish that could have been done was drafting Cooper DeJean, a DB and a white one at that.

I think the Pack had to take a OL. That wasn’t surprising to me at all.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

If you would’ve told me the Vikings would’ve gotten one of their top two QB choices and still got to keep next years first round pick, I would’ve bet everything I had against it. That’s why it’s so good. Hell, they could’ve spent that first round to get Turner and yet they still kept it and got him.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Overall I’m really happy with how the Vikings did. Rather or not McCarthy ends up being a poor, Good, or Great QB only time will tell. Like all of the picks before and after him. That Atlanta pick still has me scratching my head. I’m sure Cousins is scratching his even more. They paid top $ for a QB who’s coming off a rather bad injury and they take a guy who has a history of various past injuries. I’m sure Cousins was expecting them to take someone who would help him out in some way.

The whole game of football has really changed in the last 5 or so year. It was not long ago that RB’s made up the largest part of round 1 picks. Here we are now and not 1 RB was picked in the 1st round.

One last thing. When did they start using this position Term of Edge? I guess I missed that somewhere along the way.

Ripjiggen

Agree on all points. For years the Vikings have moved back and collected late round picks. They set their sites in these two guys and made some nice moves to get them.
    If anything it’s a refreshing strategy and I think Kwesi played poker as well as anybody yesterday.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

For all of you guys scratching your heads on the Atlanta pick. Ever consider they just took the best player and will eventually trade him before he signs? Get a proven player from another team who needs a QB ?

-J.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

One last thing. When did they start using this position Term of Edge? I guess I missed that somewhere along the way.

That’s fairly recent due to the increased use of 3-4 defenses, and both OLB and DE’s utilized to rush the passer. Just a generic term to refer to the TJ Watts and Myles Garretts as the same position despite being drastically different in size.

For all of you guys scratching your heads on the Atlanta pick. Ever consider they just took the best player and will eventually trade him before he signs? Get a proven player from another team who needs a QB ?

-J.

Trade him before he signs would be a first as far as I’m aware in the NFL. It happens a lot in the NBA though. And trading him would be doubling down on a what a dumb move it was to pick him, as no one is going to give #8 overall draft pick level of compensation for an unknown commodity now. The #8 pick was worth far more before the pick, than after. Best case for ATL is Penix sits for 2 years, and proves he’s the guy so they can then get out of Cousins contract after his guaranteed money is up.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Anybody want to actually see and hear McCarthy he was on the Rich Eisen show the day before the draft. It’s on You Tube.

Very impressive young man. I don’t know if he will make it in the NFL but he is the kind of kid you would like your daughter to go out with.

Justin Donson

For a team that’s too often traded back for ‘value’ or ‘quantity’ of picks, I’m really excited to see the Vikings just go after two potential difference makers. The trade up for Turner was brilliant in my mind, he looks like he’s going to be a stud at one of the most expensive and in-demand positions.

Of course it depends if JJMc works out, but consider all the cap space we have available in the next couple of years. We already added quite a bit of talent to the defense through Free Agency, and you have a couple of the most expensive positions starting fresh with rookie deals(QB,Edge).

Apart from some interior O-line help, our offense looks great on paper, a lot of that cap space can go towards getting some help in our secondary and interior D-line and we could have a pretty complete team(again, on paper).

One theory I heard about the Penix pick that could make sense is that they are expecting to get punished for the Cousins tampering stuff with next year’s draft. IF that’s true, they may be worried about whether they’ll even have a 1st round pick next year, which would be the year they head into the end of Cousins contract more or less. So maybe it’s a hedge against that given there was deep QB talent in this year’s draft and Cousins isn’t a long term solution for them.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Best case for ATL is Penix sits for 2 years, and proves he’s the guy so they can then get out of Cousins contract after his guaranteed money is up.

I really don’t think that they will get 2 years of good play out of Cousins. From this Pick, I’m guessing that those in control in Atlanta have their doubts as well. Who knows, Maybe by mid season if Atlanta is not looking like they are going to make the playoffs and some other team finds themselves in need of a veteran QB. They may end up trading him. I’m guessing the pick has Consins both confused and a bit worried.

Ripjiggen

-J.

He wasn’t the best player available by any means.
    Their excuse was they wanted to do it the Green Bay way. Well Penix will be 27 before he is a starter as long as Cousins doesn’t fall off a cliff.
    They just gave him 100 mill guarantee.
    Just think it’s a weird spot to be pick a backup.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    Best case for ATL is Penix sits for 2 years, and proves he’s the guy so they can then get out of Cousins contract after his guaranteed money is up.

I really don’t think that they will get 2 years of good play out of Cousins. From this Pick, I’m guessing that those in control in Atlanta have their doubts as well. Who knows, Maybe by mid season if Atlanta is not looking like they are going to make the playoffs and some other team finds themselves in need of a veteran QB. They may end up trading him. I’m guessing the pick has Consins both confused and a bit worried.

I dunno if they had their doubts then why sign him in the first place. They could have had Penix at not be paying Cousins 180 mill.
    Cousins may be confused but he is getting paid.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Now If the Vikings could improve that O-line and add some quality Depth to it the Vikings may be OK. With a better Def. and a better Run game, Maybe far less pressure will be put on the passing game to always have to come up big. I for sure think they are making steps in the right direction.

Viewing 30 posts - 211 through 240 (of 260 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.