Twins 2022

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Let’s start this one off with some good news!

Buxton signed.

7 years $100 million. Great deal for him and the team!

Dan
    Southeast MN

Pohlads opened up the pocketbooks for a stellar player, exactly what we expected jester

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Mahto, any word on incentives or a straight $100 million?

Ripjiggen

Here you go Dutch.
    Buxton received a full no-trade clause in the deal and will be paid $500,000 every time he reaches 502, 533, 567, 600 and 625 plate appearances, the sources said.

He also has MVP bonuses in each year of the deal: $8 million for finishing first, $7 million for finishing second, $6 million for third, $5 million for fourth, $4 million for fifth and $3 million for finishing in sixth through 10th place, the sources said.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thanks Rip, $14.3 million per year is a good deal for both sides. All the incentives makes it a good deal for Bux also if he is on the field.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

That’s not good news giving a guy that’s as tough as egg shells a hundred mil.

Ripjiggen

Or just shy of 205K per game he actually plays, if he continues at his career pace.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

If he hits all his incentives it moves his yearly up to $25.5. Which would actually be a steal because it would mean he had an MVP caliber year. Now focus on the pitching.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Max Scherzer just signed with the Mets 3 years $129M, not that I would want the Twins to do that for an aging warrior like Mad Max, but they are not even in the ballpark with teams trying to win.

stout93
    Becker MN

Max Scherzer just signed with the Mets 3 years $129M, not that I would want the Twins to do that for an aging warrior like Mad Max, but they are not even in the ballpark with teams trying to win.

I just don’t see how the Twins can compete in this market going forward. They would have to hit on every single high draft pick, every single ‘affordable’ free agent signing and have every single one of their players have career years. Even with all of that I can’t see them winning a WS again..

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

But we were in the mix for Robbie Ray!!!!!!!! rotflol

We’ll be lucky if we sign a legit #2 starter. I have a feeling we will get a few #3 or #4 starters to fill out the rotation.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>

I just don’t see how the Twins can compete in this market going forward. They would have to hit on every single high draft pick, every single ‘affordable’ free agent signing and have every single one of their players have career years. Even with all of that I can’t see them winning a WS again..

Orrr, and I know this is a stretch, they could start spending the money required to compete. They get roughly $150m a year in revenue sharing + whatever the team itself brings in, so having a $200M payroll shouldn’t be out of the question especially when a wave of the “future” position players come thru. I’ll show myself out… rotflol

blank

It’s easy to assume that the Twins front office isn’t making offers to top level free agents because the Twins never get them. However, how do we know if offers have been made but the players just simply do not want to play in Minnesota? I think a couple years ago they made a very strong offer to Zack Wheeler and he said no and signed with Philly instead.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

No one ever said they don’t think they aren’t making offers. They just aren’t comparable to other offers that teams that actually want to sign these guys are offering.

FryDog62

We’ll be lucky if we sign a legit #2 starter. I have a feeling we will get a few #3 or #4 starters to fill out the rotation.

Here’s me beating the drum again, but if they didn’t have to pay $21m to Donaldson they could have afforded a #2, #3 starter like umm, yeah Berrios. Josh won’t be around/relevant in 2 years when this team maybe is able to compete again IMO.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

Here’s me beating the drum again, but if they didn’t have to pay $21m to Donaldson they could have afforded a #2, #3 starter like umm, yeah Berrios. Josh won’t be around/relevant in 2 years when this team maybe is able to compete again IMO.

I want to beat my drum too!

There’s no salary cap in baseball!!!!! mrgreen

Sorry, couldn’t resist. Until there is, I refuse to give the Twins that excuse.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Elite players want to win. You need quality players to draw other quality players. You sign 2 front line starters and the ball gets rolling. That said, you will overpay for those front line pitchers so don’t count on that happening anytime soon.

I see the Twins doing nothing until the new CBA is done. Then they will do as they always do.

Ripjiggen

Well he has played 59 games more than Buxton the last two years so his salary seems in line…just sayin…

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Well he has played 59 games more than Buxton the last two years so his salary seems in line…just sayin…

Can I also add Buxton has no track record of being a consistent hitter, all the missed time plays into that but the fact remains. On a 140 game season I’ll pay Donaldsons salary vs Buxtons based on offense.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Over the last three seasons Buxton’s numbers have proven he’s a very consistent hitter.

And I say this with the fear that I’ll be labeled as Tbro and still believe it. His health is the only downside with him anymore.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Time will tell.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Over the last three seasons Buxton’s numbers have proven he’s a very consistent hitter.

And I say this with the fear that I’ll be labeled as Tbro and still believe it. His health is the only downside with him anymore.

It’s not a downside, it’s insurmountable!

Ripjiggen

That’s because it takes 3 seasons for him to play a seasons worth of games. His second full season of his 7 year career. rotflol

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

How about the Rangers.

10 years 325 million for Seagar.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

How about the Rangers.

10 years 325 million for Seagar.

Along with Semien too. Not sure Semien will have another great year though. We’ll see.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

We know there is a connection with the Texas Rangers. Any chance they try and swing a deal for Isiah Kiner-Falefa to play short-stop? The Rangers team was a disaster last year. Maybe one of the catchers and a outfielder gets it done?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Doubt it. Maybe if they trade Garver but he’s the one I’d keep over Jeffers. The only outfielder other than Buxton who’s worth anything is Kiriloff and they aren’t moving him. Find a cheap plus defensive SS and spend the rest on pitching.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Twins outrighted Jake Cave to AAA and he passed through waivers unclaimed so he will be at St Paul.

They also claimed Trevor Megill off waivers from the Cubs. Hard throwing reliever with big K numbers in the minors.

So there’s that…. coffee

Dan
    Southeast MN

It’s easy to assume that the Twins front office isn’t making offers to top level free agents because the Twins never get them. However, how do we know if offers have been made but the players just simply do not want to play in Minnesota?

It seems to be that for the longest time Twins management either leaks or outright comes out at says they’re pursuing a high-level free agent and it never pans out, and I think a lot of fans think they’re doing that just to try and please the fanbase. “Hey, we tried.”

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Wild, Vikings, Wolves & Twins are in the business of selling hope.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 1,580 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.